Pakistan's Coke Studio

Yeah.. great news.... :)

I wish they release the CD soon... mp3 quality is not gud... I really like to listen this music with quality...

One more awesome song... Balaman by Ali Azmat and Rahat Fateh Ali... give it a try.. m sure u guys gonna like this one..

Cheers..!!!

Its true Pakistan has talent but its sad that Pakistani artists usually become successful when they come to India. ;)...

:lol: do these pakis have any option?.... because they get threatened and even get killed for singing....they are even debating if singing is haraam....remember "Sayoni" song? ...which is still my favorite....but he quit singing now...idiocy or hypocrisy??...

India offers them the freedom to spread their traditional and sufi music...and live on the earnings made.... and who said we don't have traditional singers....we have plenty of 'em...only that our Indian DNA likes phorin maal like rock, metal, blues, western etc....than our own music which after heard even Gods have rolled tears in happiness.....there is a saying in telugu..."chankalo chepulu pettukuni ooranta vetikadanta" which translates into "a fool had his slippers in his armpit :lol: and searched the entire village for'em" {somebody can translate it better}...and because our DNA likes phorin maal...our singers try to churn out western type stuff....simble onleee....

guess what??....our Indian folk music which they consider is the gift of Gods is being archived in Smithsonian centers....but sadly....we like phirangi and phorin maal onleee ...so when is this paki's coka cola CD getting released???:D

only that our Indian DNA likes phorin maal like rock, metal, blues, western etc....

Requesting you NOT to generalize your opinions. Any real music lover will not try to discriminate music on the basis of language/region etc etc. As they say, music has no language.
Personally, I have a good collection of Indian music from across the country. I have collected it over a long period of time and have carefully handpicked the music which have appealed to my heart. It's another thing that I may not understand even a single word of some of those songs. The same applies to many western music as well.

Well now that you've been talking about Pakistan, here's a perspective from Pakistan for clearing up some points raised by some in this discussion:

First things first, what needs to be cleared is that pop-rock is big in Pakistan just as Bollywood is big in India. Although pop-rock was given a base earlier than 1970s but it flourished especially when we didnt have any strong movie industry of our own to do the job for us and our pop-rock bands or artists filled the gap. Starting right from Shehki and Nazia/Zohaib Hasan, this pop-rock has been growing ever since, just as Bollywood has been growing in India. Most of the Pakistanis of this age have grown up with this genre of music and that is why it sells in Pakistan. Its only now and very recently that India has been exposed to our music scene. So assuming that Pakistani music is surviving because of India is as big a fantasy as saying that Bollywood is surviving because of Pakistani fans.

I like their session artists, specially the Drummer..
The drummer is Louis Pinto Gumby. He's commonly known as Gumby in Pakistan and is regarded as one of the best drummers to date.

I like that singer with beard..

That will be Ali Noor of the rock band Noori that is hugely popular in Pakistan since early 2000s. His brother is Ali Hamza, the other guy in Aik Alif who sings 'jo na jaane haq ki taqat'.

True.
Her solo (chori chori), though a copy of sili sili, has some indescribable melancholy and longing about it.

You either haven't heard Chori Chori originally by Reshma, one of the most well known folk legends in Pakistan since the 80s, or you havent heard Sili Sili. Please do a youtube search and listen to them and tell me if you find any similarity at all.

Its true Pakistan has talent but its sad that Pakistani artists usually become successful when they come to India

And of how many Pakistani artists have you heard of? NFAK, Rahat, Atif Aslam, Ali Zafar and give and take a few more? You think thats all and that none other has tasted success in Pakistan? The fact is that most of these artists were BIG HUGE hits in Pakistan before they went to India and that is what made your Indian producers take note of them. Atif's first song 'Adat' with his previous band Jal was VIRAL in Pakistan and it was only after two years or so of this song getting big that he was noticed in India too. Its when the 'fame spills over' that our artists cross over to India which undoubtedly is the bigger market, rather than it being the other way round. World doesnt revolve around India, see. If Indians dont know of an artist, it doesnt mean he doesnt exist or isnt famous. Assuming that Indians give our poor artists a jumpstart is plain stupid, sorry.

Bands like EP, Aaroh, Call, Karvan, Kavish, Strings, The Sketches, solo singers like Hadiqa Kiyani, Shehzad roy, Abrar, Sanam Marvi, Rahim Shah, Fariha Pervez, Tina Sani, Sajjad Ali, Abida Perveen (etc etc etc) are all such names in Pakistan that you can cross the border, grab a steet kid and ask him about these and he will know. If YOU dont know about them then dont assume the ignorance is universal.

because they get threatened and even get killed for singing...remember "Sayoni" song? ...which is still my favorite....but he quit singing now...idiocy or hypocrisy??...India offers them the freedom to spread their traditional and sufi music...and live on the earnings made

As I said, dont assume that ignorance is universal. You dont know the name of Ali Azmat, yes 'that' other singer who sang Sayoni (which might as well be the only song you've heard of him) and think you can comment on Pakistani music? At all? Ali Azmat happens to be one of the members of the rock band Junoon. That Junoon that was referred to as one of the best bands of the WORLD. Not Pakistan, Not India, the world. Junoon was THE biggest thing that EVER happened to Pakistani rock music in the past 2 to 3 decades. Junoon is legendary, honey. Junoon released a total of 17 albums (show me one band in India who released as much and gained as huge a success as Junoon). Its called as the U2 of Pakistan, its work is still considered unmatched, what they produced a decade ago was way way ahead of their times. Salman Ahmed was another member of this band and he is considered to be one of the best guitarists of Asia.

And no, Ali Azmat hasn't stopped singing just so you know. He hasnt been killed by anyone either rest assured. He released his album 'Kilashinfolk' a few years ago , and now one of his songs is doing rounds in Pakistan which means its a prelude to another album. You might as well drop the fungus gathering over your judgement by an overdose of your (AND foreign) media's reporting that tells you about how everything's a rot in Pakistan. Well, I'd challenge you for brining me some names in Pakistan who were killed for singing.

Dont ever go on thinking that Ali Azmat got a chance at life because he once did a Sayoni for you.

I myself have quite a number of favorite bollywood songs and I would never go to the extent of dissing bollywood just because I have to. Genuine music lovers are not bound by geography.

And lastly, sorry folks to all those who were here to discuss Coke Studio for digressing. CS Pakistan has been and still is phenomenal. Hope CS@MTV achieves equal success in India. Kudos to all genuine music lovers here.

That will be Ali Noor of the rock band Noori that is hugely popular in Pakistan since early 2000s. His brother is Ali Hamza, the other guy in Aik Alif who sings 'jo na jaane haq ki taqat'.

Can you point to some good CDs to by these artists? The CDs may not be restricted to Ali Noor alone. Yesterday, I can get it in youtube, but will be particularly interested in CDs.

Thanks.

Coke Studio India... did not like it at all... they f****d up... :mad:

Can you point to some good CDs to by these artists? The CDs may not be restricted to Ali Noor alone. Yesterday, I can get it in youtube, but will be particularly interested in CDs.

Thanks.

Noori (the band) have to date released 2 full albums:

1.Suno k main hoon jawan
2.Peeli patti aur raja jani ki gol dunya

You'd find many interesting songs in these two. Manwa re, Mere log, saari raat jaga being a few of them.

Apart from these, you ofcourse know they've been a part of Coke Studio and a number of other big and small projects.

CDs for both are easily available in Pakistan, sorry im not sure about whether these are available in India or not...

telugu..."chankalo chepulu pettukuni ooranta vetikadanta" which translates into "a fool had his slippers in his armpit :lol: and searched the entire village for'em" Smithsonian centers....but sadly....we like phirangi and phorin maal onleee ...so when is this paki's coka cola CD getting released???:D

He was searching for Nike Shoes, not rotten slippers...
And just because you don't like Rock, doesn't mean you have the right to demean it. Heard of Jimi Hendrix? Gods had orgasms when he played the guitar....

Hey AFAIK the CDs are being distributed with 2 bottles of coke (1.5L) ,in Pakistan. If any of you could source it, it would be really nice. I am dying to have a CD/FLAC coz this kind of "spell-bounding" music is not supposed for mp3s....

As far as the Indian version goes, we get to hear some of the most artistic flavours by Kailash, Shankar-Mahadevan ,and others....

As far as the ongoing debate is considered , it's pointless. Please stop it. Music has no languages and styles , specially this kind of music is what we don't get to hear in production albums.

Last edited:
Hey AFAIK the CDs are being distributed with 2 bottles of coke (1.5L) ,in Pakistan. If any of you could source it, it would be really nice. I am dying to have a CD/FLAC coz this kind of "spell-bounding" music is not supposed for mp3s....

As far as the Indian version goes, we get to hear some of the most artistic flavours by Kailash, Shankar-Mahadevan ,and others....

Yes thats been happening. Will have to check out whether its all the stores or just some selected ones though. And from what I know, those CDs are only collections of some songs, those are not complete seasons. Still, something's better than nothing as the cliche' goes.

And im saying this about the 'official' coke studio CDs. Unofficially the market is full of coke studio CDs and DVDs.

I have been listining coke studio since season 2 came out. Now we have season 4. Every singer is unique in its own sense. My personal fav are as follows ....

Atif Aslam - Jal Pari

YouTube - ‪YouTube ?Jal Pari Atif Aslam Official Recorded At Coke Studio Best Song Of Atif HD ??‬‏

Ik Aarzu - Jal

YouTube - ‪Ik Aarzu HD, Jal, Coke Studio, Season 4‬‏

To Kaya Hua - Bilal Khan

YouTube - ‪To Kia Hua HD, Bilal Khan, Coke Studio, Season 4‬‏

Panchi - Jal

YouTube - ‪Panchi HD, Jal featuring Quratulain Balouch, Coke Studio, Season 4‬‏

Mai Ni - Atif Aslam

YouTube - ‪Coke Studios _Atif Aslam_Mai Ni‬‏

and ofcourse Jugni also known as chambe de buty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaH2iuoYWE&feature=related

Loads more but this my few fav ....

Last edited:
And im saying this about the 'official' coke studio CDs. Unofficially the market is full of coke studio CDs and DVDs.

Yes , you are absolutely right. The CDs are a collection of songs and that too selected ones. For example the outstanding performance 'Dastan-E-Ishq' by Ali Zafar was never performed but you can get the video of the final rehearsal on Youtube, but you will not get the same on CD.

I have requested them in the feedback to provide a FLAC/WAV audio to download at the feedback section of their website. Lets see if anyone's there on the other end to hear us !

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back