Panasonic DMP-60

The chip next to modded looks similar.Is that old chip locked to reg A?
Is it bypassed by new chip?

Hi,

Yes, the original chip is bypassed permenantely with the mod chip. Modchips operate by replacing or overriding a system's protection hardware or software. They achieve this by either exploiting existing interfaces in an unintended or undocumented manner. You could also completely remove the old chip (which has got restrictions on it's connections) and replace it with the mod chip with proper connections.

cheers.

Guys,

Got the BRp modded this sat. Went to Delhi's Shopping Heart..."Palika" and got the chip soldered.(Thanks to Ashish for introducing me to this gem of a guy for this task) The player PCB does have tiny ICs and connection. Its better to have an experienced person to do the job. For my tech guy it took hardly 10 minutesfor the same. The funny part is I was not able to find a BR Region C, anywhere to test the player...... all were ALL Reagions....strange....anyway, afterchecking couple of stores and atleast 50-60 BRs i could find only one "Night Of the Museum 2" BR that was region B and C. So got the BR poped in did a small initiall setup and the second funny part, rather strange is that the BR started playing without even setting the player to play region B or C, as if the disc was region free. I rechecked the disk and it does show region B,C mentioned at the back of the disk.

@Ashish you had a doubt...posting a pic that show, the disk IS region B and C

21b7xab.jpg

anyway I was more than satisfied the disk was playing flawle.... :yahoo:

So finally the mission is completed. :thumbsup: Got the player, got the chip, got the player modded successfully :cheers:.............and finally I have a reagion free BR player.:yahoo::yahoo:

Posting few more pics of the modding done...

2hq5d8k.jpg
.... the complete work

2dj2mqg.jpg

2nv5o4l.jpg

BTW also got the LCD this weekend, will post a complete review in a seperate thread....

Hi Sam,

In the first photograph, the wire connected to the "C" at the mod chip should have been soldered in the 4 resistor?, in your case, it is in the 3 resistor?, as per the document with illustrated picture that comes along with the mod chip.

This is just for your information, I think we should not be bothered about this as long as your player works fine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Aneel, Sam, Srinisunar, Srikarkav, Teky, et al:

I have finally managed to solder the mod chip and it is working well, tested the region as well by changing the region to B and tried playing a region A locked disc. Also, I would advise beginners to stay away from this task and let a professional handle this, as there are greater chances that you would solder two points together and create short circuit, as some places are really minute and utmost care is essential!

The upscaling quality of the player is excellent!

Special thanks to Aneelr for the sending modchip without any second thought or inhibitions and Srinisundar Sir for his BD discs and continued support!

Believe me, not to flatter you, I still have a lot of things to learn from you all.

So, now I have a region-free BD player for around 13-14K.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Congrats Venkatesh for your new addition, which can play all edition of BD's and DVD's.

I am so confident I will not jump into the B & C wagon and stick to A only..:)

i could find only one "Night Of the Museum 2" BR that was region B and C. So got the BR poped in did a small initiall setup and the second funny part, rather strange is that the BR started playing without even setting the player to play region B or C, as if the disc was region free. I rechecked the disk and it does show region B,C mentioned at the back of the disk.

@Ashish you had a doubt...posting a pic that show, the disk IS region B and C
There are many instances of discs having incorrect Region code on the covers. I have had atleast three instances of discs marked 'Region A/B/C' turning out to be locked to either 'Region B' or 'Region C'. Then there is the instance, where two seperate discs of a title 'R.V.' from Sony home video, where both are marked 'Region A/B/C' but one is actually locked to 'Region B' and the other copy is locked to 'Region C'. Then I have also come accross an instance where the cover shows 'Region C' but the disc is actually 'Region A/B/C'. Go figure. :confused:

I have finally managed to solder the mod chip and it is working well, tested the region as well by changing the region to B and tried playing a region A locked disc. Also, I would advise beginners to stay away from this task and let a professional handle this, as there are greater chances that you would solder two points together and create short circuit, as some places are really minute and utmost care is essential!

Special thanks to Aneelr for the sending modchip without any second thought or inhibitions and Srinisundar Sir for his BD discs and continued support!

Believe me, not to flatter you, I still have a lot of things to learn from you all.

Cheers!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
Congrats!!! ENJOY!!!!

cheers.

Hi Venkatesh,

Congrats on getting your player out of the shackles of region lock.I think you are set for a nice time with the blu ray experience. Have a great time:)

Last edited:

Cheers!

CONGRATTS venkat enjoy your player :clapping: , and about that soldering piont, I didnt notice that, actually there was no reason to notice, as the player was working fine. Anyway as you said as long as its working fine who cares. Till now no issues. Was easily able to up date the firmware as well. Internet feeds work as well. Also point to be noted is the Disc loading time improves drastically after firmware update so make sure that is something the very first thing every new Pana BRp byuer does......

There are many instances of discs having incorrect Region code on the covers. I have had atleast three instances of discs marked 'Region A/B/C' turning out to be locked to either 'Region B' or 'Region C'. Then there is the instance, where two seperate discs of a title 'R.V.' from Sony home video, where both are marked 'Region A/B/C' but one is actually locked to 'Region B' and the other copy is locked to 'Region C'. Then I have also come accross an instance where the cover shows 'Region C' but the disc is actually 'Region A/B/C'. Go figure. :confused:

No actually that was not the case, it was just the first time right after modding tha player played the disc without choosing the region. As soon as the player was switched off, it got reset with the modding done and then I had to choose the region in order to play the same disc, so there is no mis match in the region print on the disc. I think the player needed a restart to configure the modding done.

Hi,

My panny BD60 skips all the discs with PAL, even after modding it. Does anyone have a similar problem here?

Cheers!

Hi,

The player's mod is limited to NTSC, it will not play PAL even after the modding. Are you not aware of this??, idealbrain had already mentioned about this and this is an issue only with Pana's BDp I guess.

cheers.

Though I knew this, I am eatching to share my experience.......I tried playing Rock On DVD on my BRp and it played absolutely OK, what does that mean, is it NTSC DVD, though I will look again at the back. But why would it be NTSC........... its a Big Home Video release and should be PAL right????

Though I knew this, I am eatching to share my experience.......I tried playing Rock On DVD on my BRp and it played absolutely OK, what does that mean, is it NTSC DVD, though I will look again at the back. But why would it be NTSC........... its a Big Home Video release and should be PAL right????

Hi

I have been viewing lot of DVDs from Big Flix and all were playing flawlessly, until yesterday when "surrogates" didnt work. Then, I used different DVDs one by one and found out that my player has a problem with PAL disc. So, this means Bigflix has NTSC discs as well.

For Some DVDs particularly from EXCEL, will have wrong label on their cover.
Lord of the rings Triology was labeled as PAL which actually is NTSC.

This surely seems to be a great player and was out of stock at most outlest in the US. I picked one early this week in US and now its lying on my TV table in Bangalore. Got a good deal (129$):eek:hyeah:

Have a old Pio region free DVD for DVDs and this one will be exclusive for bluray. I might mod it sometime in the future but will have to wait till I setup my HT.
-Manish

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back