Panasonic Plasma ST60: Ownership thread

Yesterday I tried cnet settings on my st50. Initially it looked bright and awesome. But today morning with the same settings it looked like a led tv when watching low resolution content.
Changed back to my favorite true cinema setting for all media.
My experience is that one should always stick to true cinema.
Other settings may be good on one media and worst on others.
Did too much of fiddling with settings for the past few days but nothing is really pleasing the very next day.
In case of st60 too I think it is advisable to stick to true cinema for optimum setting.
BTW ordered WoW from amazon yesterday. Don't know what I will do with it.:rolleyes:

Last night I tried to use the android based remote app and also tried DLNA.

After spending two hours I could conclude:
The wireless hardware that comes with the TV is very bad

It kept losing connection -when all other devices in my house are working fine on the same wifi router. There are no walls in between (perhaps just a little obstruction by one wall).

So, perhaps it is time to buy the WD TV Hub with 1TB disk

Last night I tried to use the android based remote app and also tried DLNA.

After spending two hours I could conclude:
The wireless hardware that comes with the TV is very bad

It kept losing connection -when all other devices in my house are working fine on the same wifi router. There are no walls in between (perhaps just a little obstruction by one wall).

So, perhaps it is time to buy the WD TV Hub with 1TB disk

I think you meant iMediaserver app?
That is a bad app. I experienced the same loss of connections.
Instead you can test dlna from the phone directly.
When you open a video say from the gallarey and start playing, a tv like icon appears at the top. If the dlna phone detected a compatible tv this icon is displayed. If you press this the video is automatically transferred to the tv using dlna. I streamed camera recordings on my phone some of which were almost 30 min clips to my st50. No issue of connection loss.

I think you meant iMediaserver app?
That is a bad app. I experienced the same loss of connections.
Instead you can test dlna from the phone directly.
When you open a video say from the gallarey and start playing, a tv like icon appears at the top. If the dlna phone detected a compatible tv this icon is displayed. If you press this the video is automatically transferred to the tv using dlna. I streamed camera recordings on my phone some of which were almost 30 min clips to my st50. No issue of connection loss.

My phone is not that capable. But I am thinking to try testing this with our Note 10.1 tablet.

Very nice set.

do you notice any motion blur in pan shots ? or any judder in SD channels?

I have so far not observed very keenly, but no issues detected till date.
Also, I realized, if you do not watch HD quality video, even SD looks pretty good on the TV.
Perhaps DishTV transmission has improved today? :)

Edit: Zee TV looked good - no need to upgrade to HD felt. However, Pogo looked a little bad.

The galaxy s4 works flawlessly with the GT50 over DLNA with the router, Belkin N+, in a different room. It plays avchd and DTS audio too however I mostly use a media player for the same.

Some more observations about the video streaming apps and the WiFi capabilities of the ST60.

1. The TV does not have the capability to remember two WiFi networks. So, every time you want to change to the other Access Point, you have to key in the encryption key on the virtual keyboard.
2. I tried DailyMotion and Youtube so far. In both cases, my trusty 2 Mbps connection seems to be slow for HD videos and sometimes even for other videos.
I have not seen this happen on my desktop to that extent.
One of the reasons for this is that there is very little time delay before the playback starts. As a result, there is almost continuous buffering during playback. This results in almost unwatchable video.
3. There are no settings anywhere to change the video quality settings for the streaming content. Or am I missing something?

I am wondering if others are streaming content on their TV directly. If yes, what speed connection do you have?

You should upload picture on Imageshack or such photo hosting sites and provide a link here. The forum puts a restriction on filesize, number of files, and the total size of all attachments (from all yours posts) that you have uploaded.

So, tried the active 3d last evening and this morning as well.
First of all, the 3D goggles come well protected in a nice plastic cover.
Secondly the glasses are protected on each side with some film like material (one red and one blue sticker like piece is stuck to them on either side. see pictures in earlier posts.
After that, we need to remove the center plastic piece which as an arrow. I pulled it out slowly since I was unable to open the button cell compartment.

I am not sure how easy it is to open that. Perhaps I need a small pin or some other tool.

I did not have any 3D content, so my first option was to try the 2D to 3D conversion.

BTW: I have got Dish TV HD now and it looks good.

So, after holding the power button on the 3D goggles, the light started blinking and I could see a message on the screen that the goggles are paired with the TV. This was a one time process I guess.

Then, pressing the 3D button on the remote prompted me to convert 2D to 3D.
Results: Unimpressive 3D.
Side-effects: It took me around 2 minutes to feel uneasy with the goggles.

I tried playing with various settings (From Settings menu) for 3D. There is depth/ effect setting which I increased/ decreased, but my comfort level remained the same.

When my wife tried, she did not feel uneasy, but she was not happy with the 3D and also with the comfort of the goggles.

This morning, I decided to give it one more shot.
From the Panasonic Apps, I selected a 3D player app (3DGoo or something) which I had downloaded a few days ago.
Played several videos and also tinkered with 3D settings.
One of the (ocean) videos was really good in 3D.

Then I tried Youtube and the demo videos for LG/ Samsung.

This is where I could really experience 3D at its best.
Those videos are really well made to take full advantage of the 3D technology.

I tried the IMAX 3D videos on Youtube, but I could not see any 3D effect there.

Some more observations:
1. I was more comfortable at 10-12 feet sitting on the sofa, than at 6 feet standing right in front of the TV.
2. There was some discomfort for the eyes at all times. Many times, I had to close one eye and then see again.
3. More comfortable in darker room than in well lit room.
4. In the TV, there is a 3D setting for 100Hz, 120Hz and Auto. 100Hz introduces lot of flickering.
5. Cross-talk: I might have experienced this once, but I am not too sure.

In the end, I am not too sure if I would be using 3D much.

Tried wired connection 100 Mbps this time and used a DLNA server on my laptop.
I could play most movies, but not all. Somehow I am more comfortable getting a WD TV hub or something similar at the moment.

Tried wired connection 100 Mbps this time and used a DLNA server on my laptop.
I could play most movies, but not all. Somehow I am more comfortable getting a WD TV hub or something similar at the moment.

You should go thru my ST50 thread. It is a long thread but you can skip many posts and just read my updates. The ST60 is not vastly different. Whatever issues you have are already addressed.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back