Panasonic Plasma ST60: Ownership thread

vakharia

I am starting this thread so that all ST60 related discussion can happen here.

MRP: 1.25 Lac.
Current market price: 1.11 Lac.

What comes with the package?
The base/ stand, the wall mount kit, 2 units of 3D goggles, a slim operations manual, remote controller (with batteries), some pieces of thermocol, a zip-tie and the TV itself.
Box states it was imported in May and manufactured in April. Made in Thailand.

When the box was opened, I found the protection for the TV is not much - at least not in front and the back. There is thermocol on the top and bottom only.

The dealer's delivery persons came and installed the TV.

How does SD on the TV look?

I have DishTV SD, and it was watchable initially. But, after viewing some HD content (via USB), SD does not look that great on 50".
Perhaps SD may look better on a 42" plasma.

How does USB stuff work?
There are two USB ports and both can work at the same time. On the remote we have a "Media Player" button. That launches a screen with an option to select the USB drive and then the movies.

I have tried with FAT32 (pen drive) and NTFS (1 TB hard disk). Both work with the TV.

Problems:
With 1TB, the initial "Reading..." takes a long time. Plus there seems to be be no way to navigate folders. Everything gets dumped in a Video preview/ Title View and perhaps there is no way to change the view.
I wish there is a way to view folder-wise content on the screen.

Performance with USB:
While watching 1080P rips content via USB (1TB hard disk), there were 3-4 times where the movie freezes while playing, and then continues after 5-7 seconds.
No such issue with other rips.
I have to format a pen drive to NTFS, copy the 1080p movie there and then try the same movie to rule out a problem with the hard disk.

Viewing angles:
Very good. The TV is placed above eye level. I have a feeling that viewing is better if I stand up to match the level of the TV. But not sure so far.

How many hours were there on the panel?
I tried the service menu. However, in the last step, after pressing the Mute button on the menu, nothing happens.
The counters were all 00:00, on the left. No data comes on the right.

3D experience:
Not tried so far, since I do not have any 3D content.
2 goggles come with the TV. Each extra goggle is around Rs. 6000-7000 as per the dealer. I will look for some kid size google for my son in the future.
There are stickers on the glass/ plastic. One is blue and one is red. There are no instructions if these stickers have to be peeled off or not.
These goggles come with a battery inside. So they are not the rechargeable type.

Settings:
The default was around 50 for contrast. The Brightness was on zero as well. However, it goes negative and positive, unlike the contrast which starts from zero.

The Normal mode seems to be fine for now. There is Cinema and True Cinema which look better - but perhaps I will use them after some time.

Pixel oribter has two settings: Auto and ON. It was ON by default.

I reduced the contrast to 35 just to avoid any image retention/ Burn-in.
There is no issue at that level with most content.
However, when you are watching dark scenes, such as the initial scene in Cast Away, then contrast of 50 is better in seeing more details.

When I changed to True Cinema, I was quite impressed with the details in the same scene.

Buzzing
I played Ice Age to check buzzing. I could not hear any buzzing even at 1 inch from the screen during the initial opening scene.

I purchased a stabilizer to protect the plasma on the same day.

I will post some pictures in a day or two from my camera.

Thanks a lot, mate :) You should try the "Break-in" program to make your TV less susceptible to burn-in. You should also try 3D on your TV and let us know how it performs. I really want to know that as I'm seeing crosstalk / ghosting in most 3D contents. Then again, my set is 3 times cheaper than yours :p

Here are some 3D clips you can download :

LG_3D_Air.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
LG_3D_Cinema_2013_next_gen_3D.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
3d_lg_cinema_3d_world_i.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
3D_animated_2013_sbs.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
3d_lg_2012_rio_carnival.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
PANASONIC_3D_A_Day_In_The_City.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
PANASONIC_3D_Stroll_Through_Nice.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
PANASONIC_3D_Olympic_Opening_Ceremonies.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Aquarium.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Clip_-_Avatar_3D-3min50sec.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.MotorStorm.Pacific.Rift.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.FIFA.World.Cup.UAE.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Enjoy.Full-HD.Video.In.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Cloudy.with.a.Chance.of.Meatballs.Trailer.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Alice.in.Wonderland.Trailer3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Super.Stardust.HD.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Minimized_Flicker.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Rio.Carnival.2010.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.ESPN.OSU.Vs.USC.College.Football.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Monster.House.Trailer.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Toy.Story.3.Trailer.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
G-Force.Trailer.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Sony.Open.in.Hawaii.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.WipeOut.HD.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Open.Season.Trailer.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Chaka.Khan.at.Sony.Open.in.Hawaii.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Monolithic.Design.Introduction.Video.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Sony.Bravia.Promo.Asahiyama_Zoo.3D.ts - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Intro.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
3D_Demo_Mix.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Black_Eyed_Peas_Concert_Highlight_-_I_Gotta_Feeling.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Heart_Heart_Heartbeat.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
04_-_High_Flight.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Raised_Me_Up.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Monster_vs_Aliens.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
BOB_s_Big_Break.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
How_to_Train_Your_Dragon.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
The_Wind_Tells_a_Story.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Australia_3D_clip.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
3D_Bolts_&_Blip.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Nascar_Racing.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
IAAF.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Chelsea_Soccer.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
deep_sea_3d_-_first_4min_46_sec.avi - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
PANASONIC_3D_2012_Edmonton_Indy.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
Cosmic_Journey.hsbs.mkv - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Thanks a lot, mate :) You should try the "Break-in" program to make your TV less susceptible to burn-in.

You mean the slides? I will have to search where I downloaded them earlier. I cannot remember now.

You should also try 3D on your TV and let us know how it performs. ...

Here are some 3D clips you can download :
Thank you.
I will test some of these in a day or two.

At the moment, I am trying to see if I should upgrade from Dish TV SD to HD+ or go with Airtel/ Tata Sky.

I don't need 200 channels, just a few HD channels with good PQ.

In the earlier post, I forgot to mention about the audio.

I was prepared to shell out more for the audio, but for now, I think the audio quality is pretty decent for me and my wife. It is loud and clear.
I have a 2.1 music system which is pretty good, but at the moment, I am thinking of packing that up and keeping it for later use.

But so far, audio has not disappointed me.
Again, I don't expect much in this department to begin with.

Congrats !! The first one to own an ST60. It is a TV even Pana brand shop says that they are not aware when it will be launched. I went last Saturday, the only plasma they have is S60 here in Mumbai.

Anyway, good price (though I think not great). Should have been around 1 lac to start with. Anyway, at least you got a piece to negotiate and buy. Hope you have many great days & time with the TV. Enjoy!! and do keep us updates and feedback about the same.

For DTH, my suggestion is VideoconHD for maximum no HD channels as of now and cost-wise as well.

You should now buy a blu ray player for enjoying the best of HD, as well occasional 3D.

Would love to hear about Input lag in ST60

I have not got that far. I am also not sure if I have the "Game" mode somewhere.

I don't see any need to connect my computer to the TV. Plus testing that is going to be difficult since they are in different rooms.

@vakharia,

The best installation for viewing is when your eye sight horizontal level is some 4-6" above the horizontal half level of the TV. At least this is what best works for me. That way, I don't have to tilt my head up and get neck cramp after long watching.

I recommend that you setup the TV using the calibrartion disk. Spears and Munsil is the best but it is a BD, to be paid for ($30 or something) and obviously requires a BDP. BDP is anyway necessary and best for calibration. You can get free calibration disk also. Refer this thread: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

1. Download AVCHD.exe (the DVD version) using the link in thread above
2. Run the EXE to unzip the file into some folder
3. Burn the contents of the folder to a DVD
4. Popin the DVD into a BDP or upsacling DVD player (DVDP with HDMI-out)
5. Follow instructions on how to set black levels and white levels. This alone should be good enough.

@vakharia,

I recommend that you setup the TV using the calibrartion disk. Spears and Munsil is the best but it is a BD, to be paid for ($30 or something) and obviously requires a BDP. BDP is anyway necessary and best for calibration. [/url]

Vakharia,

I have the WoW disk I got from Amazon US. More user friendly and good. Also, it has IR rectification slide. If you are at Mumbai and if you are interested, You can use that. My panny is calibrated with that.

@vakharia,

The best installation for viewing is when your eye sight horizontal level is some 4-6" above the horizontal half level of the TV. At least this is what best works for me. That way, I don't have to tilt my head up and get neck cramp after long watching.

Yesterday, while watching from the other sofa-set which is about a 2 feet further away from the TV, I had a feeling that the viewing angle was better. So, we are going to explore some more before changing the height (basically changing the table below).

I recommend that you setup the TV using the calibrartion disk. Spears and Munsil is the best but it is a BD, to be paid for ( or something) and obviously requires a BDP. BDP is anyway necessary and best for calibration. You can get free calibration disk also.

Is this really needed at this stage? I thought of break-in for 2-3 months and then do this stuff.

Also, BDP is not on my list at the moment - it will come towards the end of the year or Diwali time frame.

@vakharia,

If you are at Mumbai and if you are interested, You can use that. My panny is calibrated with that.

Hey thanks.
I am in Pune. But at the moment, I am not sure if the panel is ready for any of that stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, some more observations from yesterday evening and this morning.

1. The Apps
There are plenty of Apps provided by Panasonic be default. And then there are Apps that you can install from the market (just like the typical Google playstore or Apple store). I noticed that all are free.

Installed a couple of apps (Kids ABC and some online movie streaming app).
Both seemed useless.

To be honest, except a few Apps like Youtube and Dailymotion, none of the others were interesting.

2. Performance of the Viera Connect/ Apps
The TV is able to handle the Apps, but it seems quite slow when compared to the experience that we have on our tablets/ mobiles.
I would rate this as 6/10.

Secondly, with Youtube, on my 2 Mbps connection, HD videos buffer every second. So, the entire video plays for a second, stops, plays again and so on.
Totally useless.
Lower quality videos run fine.
While I agree that my connection is slower than what is needed for HD, the app is not intelligent to buffer for some time and then start actual playback.

Also, I cannot see what quality the transmission is anywhere and any option to change the quality.

I will try Dailymotion tomorrow and see how it performs.

Overall, although reviewers have given a thumbs-up for the Viera Connect, I would say, there is nothing great about the platform or the performance.

3. Video playback from USB
Yesterday, I tried more tinkering with the Media Player.
Many of my videos are not working - perhaps the format or the codec is not supported.

FLV files are also not supported.

So, buying a small hard disk and only keeping videos on it, is also not going to be very fruitful. It will reduce the time to read the entire directory, but if the TV is unable to play most of the files, then what's the point?

I need to see what is the best option to solve this problem.

Either I have to setup a media server or perhaps buy the Android mini PC or something else?

I have never used any smart app till date. I find that all of them are not up to the mark. The browser is too slow, video buffers and stutters, websites lad slowly, etc. Anyway, the less I say, the better. You are very generous in your points awarded. I will give 2/10 for Smart TV features. The 2 points are for DLNA only which is the only redeeming feature.

I can see that Panasonic has not improved upon the USB reading. The TV software insists on reading all files on the disk and display those which are playable. It takes ages to read a 1 TB disk on my ST50 and I can see that ST60 is no different. Why can't they show the directories and contents immediately and let user select the file to be played? This is what the Panasonic BDP does and therefore I am using the BDP to play media - not that I have tons of downloaded content. So my advice is buy a media player or a BDP for USB playback.

The 2 points are for DLNA only which is the only redeeming feature.
And that is the only feature that I am looking forward too, in some way.
I have a powerful desktop, but I do not want to stream movies from there.
So, I am looking for a setup that is less power-hungry.

....and therefore I am using the BDP to play media - not that I have tons of downloaded content. So my advice is buy a media player or a BDP for USB playback.

Well, the BDP will also not be able to play everything in the USB drive. That is where the problem is for me.
I am glad to learn that Panasonic BDP can be made region free. But after spending 13K (approx.), I will still have many videos (in USB HDD) which cannot be played.

Secondly, when I get a PS3 or PS4, I somehow may not use the BDP at all since the PS3/4 has BD player in built. Perhaps I can add media server to that as well?
Plus the features like apps etc, which a typical BDP supports are already built into the TV.

Also, since I have zero BD/ DVD's at the moment, I don't think this option is suitable for me.

BTW: My desktop has a BD drive in it, which I have never used. :)
But, media player seems to be more appropriate for my current requirement.

Last edited:
Media player is the best option but it will take time to read as it has HDD. Flash drives are faster as there're no moving platters. For less consumption, copy movies to flash drive and play on your TV. Most movies we download are in MKV format and Panasonic reads them flawlessly. :)

Hmm, you can try that too. I have one WD Live 1TB, haven't used it yet. If you want, I can give it to you. I had it imported in 2012 and still haven't used it :(

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back