Panasonic UT50 (2012 model) Owners Thread

ST30 is last year's model. Why do you wish to buy it? It may be out of stock too. I would suggest that you go for ST50 instead or UT50, if low on budget.

Hello just4kix, I intend to Buy a 43 inch FHD Panny Plasma. My budget is low so planned to buy UT30. Please suggest any model if this one is discontinued. Please tell the current market prices of them also
Regards

Dear All,

Many thanks to kind and knowledgable people in this forum. After researching the forum, my choices boiled down to these 4 nice Plasma TVs. (I am also quoting the price of the TV as on 3rd Nov 2012 in west delhi, along with freebies) -

1. Panasonic 50ST50 - Rs 1.06 Lakh (Plus Diwali Gift - Panasonic Printer + (1+2) year warranty + Hungama.com coupons)
2. Panasonic 50UT50 - Rs 76,000 (Plus Diwali Gift - Panasonic Printer + (1+2) year warranty + Hungama.com coupons)
3. Samsung 51E550 - Rs 78,000 (Plus Diwali Gift - 3D Blue ray Player + movie Pack )
4. Samsung 51E8000 - Rs 95,000 (Plus Diwali Gift - Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, 310 )

I first went to Samsung Showroom and saw 50inch E550. I was quite disappointed with the picture quality on the demo piece because I had read many good reviews of this TV. The picture looked dull & washed out and too soft compared to some of the fancier LEDs which were displayed alongside. Perhaps the lightening in the showroom was too much, or perhaps the piece was old or perhaps the picture calibration settings on that TV were not correctly adjusted. But it certainly didn't have the 'wow' factor which I was expecting. The showroom did not have the E8000 for display so I could not see that but the free galaxy tab with E8000 was particularly enticing. They quoted Rs 78,000 and Rs 95,000 (plus the freebies) for E550 & E8000 respectively.
I would not like to discourage people from buying this TV or anger the current owners, I am merely implying that the one Demo piece which I saw was not up to my expectations.

Then I went to the Panasonic's showroom and saw 42inch UT50 and 50 inch ST50 on display, and by god they both looked gorgeous !!! I was very happy with the picture quality on both the sets. I was pleasantly surprised with UT50 display because it was indistinguishable from ST50s one. One thing to note is that unlike the Samsung's showroom, the Panasonic showroom was not very brightly lit. It had normal lightening, one which you expect in normal homes. In my opinion, the lightening in the showrooms made a significant difference in picture quality of Samsung & Panasonic's TVs.

Then there was this tricky part of choosing between UT50 & ST50. I told the showroom lady that I didn't want the free printer and she reduced the price of ST50 to Rs 96,000 and UT50 to Rs 68,000. Then for me this was the comparison -

ST 50 - Rs 96,000 + 2 3D glasses + "Louvre" filter on the screen to reflect ambient light + Built-in Wi-Fi
VS
UT50 - Rs 68,000 + 1 3D glasses + Wifi-ready (Wifi works after purchasing a dongle).

Now I know I would not really watch that much 3D, I would not really use the Wi-fi and when I demo'ed the TVs, I couldn't distinguish the picture quality in normal conditions. And the price difference between the two was INR 28,000 which is not a small difference. So I went ahead and purchased the UT50.

The TV is yet to be delivered to my house, so I don't know if I have made a good choice. I will surely write a review once I settle in with my TV.

Many thanks again to all people for their valuable time & suggestions,
Take Care,
Rohit

Rohit,
I see that your dealer has given you one 3D glass for your UT50 Plasma. All dealers have given two 3D glasses for the 50 inch model same as for the 50ST50. I guess he has booked his profit for that glass and passed you a lower price point coz of it.

what is the price for 43UT50 and 43UT30 in Delhi??

There isnt a 43 inch model of Pana plasma; there is 42UT50 and the next one is 50UT50.

Myzus from Mumbai got a 42UT50 for 56k (after exchange of Onida 21 CRT) and two 3-D glasses. Mkblr from Bangalore got it for INR 56,700 with 2 x 3D eye wear + Panasonic Printer + some lucky dip coupons from the dealer as Diwali offer. Most of the people elsewhere have got 42UT50 for 62-65k & rarely below 60K.

The lowest price of 50UT50 has fallen below 70K in some cities.

Last edited:
Is it just me or have the other owners of 50UT50 experienced this as well?
I played a 3D movie of Brave (from USB, not BlueRay) and the 3D effect was better than what I have experienced in Inox theatre !! So much pop, such 3D depth and realism !!

What a tv Pana has made !! 3D effect significantly exceeds expectations !! And I guess the Active glasses help to make it stand out more.

No doubt Cnet gave it such a high rating in terms of PQ and VFM.

Is it just me or have the other owners of 50UT50 experienced this as well?
I played a 3D movie of Brave (from USB, not BlueRay) and the 3D effect was better than what I have experienced in Inox theatre !! So much pop, such 3D depth and realism !!

What a tv Pana has made !! 3D effect significantly exceeds expectations !! And I guess the Active glasses help to make it stand out more.

No doubt Cnet gave it such a high rating in terms of PQ and VFM.

Enjoy, and congratulations.

FYI

few days I received a sms from Pana Helpline, with some service number. I was surprised as I didnt log a call with them. Last week, a person called me and said that he can deliver the printer for that extra 2K, whether I wanted it. It was with reference to my 42UT50 purchased in Sept'12. I denied the printer and the person told that he can take back the printer and return me cash 3K i.e. 1K to me for this transaction. I didnt want to get into this hassle and I refused.

After an hour, I got call from the dealer and reconfirmed my decision on printer offer - I again denied the printer.

FYI

few days I received a sms from Pana Helpline, with some service number. I was surprised as I didnt log a call with them. Last week, a person called me and said that he can deliver the printer for that extra 2K, whether I wanted it. It was with reference to my 42UT50 purchased in Sept'12. I denied the printer and the person told that he can take back the printer and return me cash 3K i.e. 1K to me for this transaction. I didnt want to get into this hassle and I refused.

After an hour, I got call from the dealer and reconfirmed my decision on printer offer - I again denied the printer.

why refused?

I am getting a quote of Rs 75,000 :indifferent14: for 50UT50 along with the free printer and other deals. Has anyone got a lower price than this?

I got it for 74k last month.

The FREE printer reached in 10 days to my office.

Its an awesome deal. They gave me a Laser All In One Printer.:licklips:

WOW! We are using it at office now.

And the 2 active 3D glasses as well. ;)

Yesterday my TV completed 400hrs. So with that my burnin period is almost over. But still I dont want to take any chances till 500 hrs. Observation so far

1. No Image retention. I checked with "Sherlock" like eyes, but nada.
2. PQ is as good as its get.
3. I am watching 21:9 movies now a days for avg 45-60 min daily and no issue with
black bar.

So summing up. If you take good care of your plasma initially then no need to worry about IR an all. I just educated everyone in my family on how to operate a plasma and looks like they are quite accustomed now.

I got it for 74k last month.

The FREE printer reached in 10 days to my office.

Its an awesome deal. They gave me a Laser All In One Printer.:licklips:

WOW! We are using it at office now.

And the 2 active 3D glasses as well. ;)

Yes, I amanged to get it finally for a lower price (much less than 70K).

Its a great deal all round and the PQ is amazing !! I can now sit back and enjoy this for the next 5 years atleast.

Yesterday my TV completed 400hrs. So with that my burnin period is almost over. But still I dont want to take any chances till 500 hrs. Observation so far

3. I am watching 21:9 movies now a days for avg 45-60 min daily and no issue with
black bar.

So summing up. If you take good care of your plasma initially then no need to worry about IR an all. I just educated everyone in my family on how to operate a plasma and looks like they are quite accustomed now.

500 Hours burn in period? I thought I read it was 150-200 hours.

black bar.

Do you mean is there a special care of steps for how to use a Plasma ?

For 50UT50 I think the prices are in 70-74K range at most places now as against 74-80k range 2-3 months back... same for 50ST50 where prices seem to have dropped by 5k or so.. good for new buyers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back