Panasonic UT50 (2012 model) Owners Thread

I have also reduced all settings to 35-40 and watch the SD/HD channels in Zoom 2 mode, infact now liking them so much that willing to keep them ON for some more time.

FYI - I have seen E550 demo yesterday and the brightness looked good. It was playing SD channels in the showroom against all other Plasmas/LEDs playing demo video. Also the aspect ratio was such that the picture looked stretched (may be 4:3 etc).

Interesting, brightness is good on that TV. Regular SD channels are 4:3 which get stretched to 16:9 even on the Panasonics..

I purchased 42UT50 recently and have been using it for about a week now. I would ultimately like to do caliberation after about 100 hours. However I could not find custom picture mode. I suppose any adjustment over a preset mode will be overridden when another preset is chosen and set. So it appears calibrated settings will be lost easily. Is my assumption correct? If anyone has done caliberation on this TV, how did you do it?

Why is no one posting pictures?

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
I have always been curious as to how photograph of a video showing on a TV screen can convey about picture quality of that TV. In my opinion, there are too many variables. First off is the the lighting in that space. Second is the video source / content quality. Third is the camera quality. Within the camera itself we have to content with program mode, exposure mode, white balance, etc which affect the image captured.

If there is screen capture, that I believe will be the nearest to actual. If on the other hand this frequent request for photo of the TV is for other purpose, please excuse my post.

I have always been curious as to how photograph of a video showing on a TV screen can convey about picture quality of that TV. In my opinion, there are too many variables. First off is the the lighting in that space. Second is the video source / content quality. Third is the camera quality. Within the camera itself we have to content with program mode, exposure mode, white balance, etc which affect the image captured.

If there is screen capture, that I believe will be the nearest to actual. If on the other hand this frequent request for photo of the TV is for other purpose, please excuse my post.

Its not just the picture quality. Its about how the TV looks in person, styling, reflections, comparisons if you have another TV, if properly taken pictures will tell lights on/off comparisons etc. and most importantly its a lot of fun too... :D

Visited the Panasonic brandshop at Koramangala in Bangalore today. No stock of the 50UT50, and worse - no HTIB offer. Dealer quoted me 78k for the tv, and expecting stocks only end of the month :(

Looks like if i go the 50" route its either the 50xt50 or the Samsung 51E550 now..

If dealer quoted 78k, you can negotiate it for 74-75K. The HT offer as people mentioned was till 31st August only - not sure if the BDP offer on Samsung is there anymore.

In case you are deciding bw 50XT50 & E550, do you know the stocks are available or not? Can you just not order UT50 and dealer will get it for you in a week or so?

I guess some of us were just lucky to buy in that period when HT offer was on..

If dealer quoted 78k, you can negotiate it for 74-75K. The HT offer as people mentioned was till 31st August only - not sure if the BDP offer on Samsung is there anymore.

In case you are deciding bw 50XT50 & E550, do you know the stocks are available or not? Can you just not order UT50 and dealer will get it for you in a week or so?

I guess some of us were just lucky to buy in that period when HT offer was on..

Stocks are available for the 50xt50 and the e550, surprisingly the 43e490 is out of stock in most places. The UT series is also currently out of stock, dealer is expecting 3-4 pieces in about 2 weeks which will require me to book in advance. No HTIB at all.

Stocks are available for the 50xt50 and the e550, surprisingly the 43e490 is out of stock in most places. The UT series is also currently out of stock, dealer is expecting 3-4 pieces in about 2 weeks which will require me to book in advance. No HTIB at all.

There are 4-5 brandshop in bangalore. If stock is not with Koramangala then check with Dickenson Road or the others. Also mention your best price to them and negotiate hard. UT50 is not such popular model as of now and they can certainly reduce the price quite a bit.

In my case I was more keen on 42UT50 and got quotation from almost every shop(brand shop + multibrand shop). Then when I asked Koramangala dealer they certainly matched the lowest price(which was 64k at that time) and throw me an offer for 50ut50(74k). So it goes the other way.

You can also try this trick to other dealer.

Most of the offers I heard for 42UT50 were 62-64K & 50UT50 were 74-78K, that should not have changed much as of now.

I purchased 42UT50 recently and have been using it for about a week now. I would ultimately like to do caliberation after about 100 hours. However I could not find custom picture mode. I suppose any adjustment over a preset mode will be overridden when another preset is chosen and set. So it appears calibrated settings will be lost easily. Is my assumption correct? If anyone has done caliberation on this TV, how did you do it?

I too got 42ut50d yesterday and enjoying. But i feel sound quality is very bad. the sound quality is not even comparable to sony old crt Tv. Is it the problem with my set or in general PDPs are like this. i want to know from what is your experience of the sound quality and what is the settings you put.
thanx in advance

I too got 42ut50d yesterday and enjoying. But i feel sound quality is very bad. the sound quality is not even comparable to sony old crt Tv. Is it the problem with my set or in general PDPs are like this. i want to know from what is your experience of the sound quality and what is the settings you put.
thanx in advance

Congrats... The flat panels are generally bad in sound quality and this is true for LEDs,Plasmas alike barring few high-end models. I am glad that I got the free HT
during the offer. Did you not get it?

Congrats... The flat panels are generally bad in sound quality and this is true for LEDs,Plasmas alike barring few high-end models. I am glad that I got the free HT
during the offer. Did you not get it?
Not even barring high end models ... sound quality in flat panels is pathetic at best.

Not even barring high end models ... sound quality in flat panels is pathetic at best.

But nobody talks about sound quality in the forums. All are concentrating on picture quality. I think home thaeter is must with all flat panel TVs. What if it is not given for free. Is the free gift given, is just because sound quality is bad in comparison to the competetion???. I am surprised then for what the settings like V surround, Pro surround are given. This is totally misleading. In my TV dialogues are OK but when it comes to music, its like lot of buzzing sound. I hope this is not a manufacturing defect and hence requesting for the friends experiences. MY free HT is not yet delivered.

thanx for the reply

But nobody talks about sound quality in the forums. All are concentrating on picture quality. I think home thaeter is must with all flat panel TVs. What if it is not given for free. Is the free gift given, is just because sound quality is bad in comparison to the competetion???. I am surprised then for what the settings like V surround, Pro surround are given. This is totally misleading. In my TV dialogues are OK but when it comes to music, its like lot of buzzing sound. I hope this is not a manufacturing defect and hence requesting for the friends experiences. MY free HT is not yet delivered.

thanx for the reply

Sound quality is not upto the mark with CRT having booming woofer and all. Bus its not that bad also. I got Tatasky HD and channel sounds are more then decent. I even watched few full lenght movie from Star Movies HD cand also from pen drive and sound is acceptable.

If you are really low on sound better check with service or check your transmission.

thanx for the reply

Primary function of a TV is to delivery moving pictures. This being Hifivision forum, members are mostly interested in high quality sound and picture. So it is not surprising that sound quality is not discussed wrt to TV. As for me when I want great sound from TV I just switch my AV receiver input to TV in. I am sure lots of people here do it likewise. I find that native sound output is good enough for news and sports channels.

Moreover there is physical limitation to putting large enough speaker drivers in a flat panel tv. Even Bose has tiny winy speakers but their woofers are still big. So the boom boxes of CRT TVs (not that I am impressed with them) just can't make it to flat panel displays.

If on the other hand if there actually is buzzing sound from your TV, please check whether it's from the speakers or from TV body.

Sound quality is not upto the mark with CRT having booming woofer and all. Bus its not that bad also. I got Tatasky HD and channel sounds are more then decent. I even watched few full lenght movie from Star Movies HD cand also from pen drive and sound is acceptable.

If you are really low on sound better check with service or check your transmission.

Sund volume is OK. I am uncomfortable with the quality. Can you please give the settings you follow. I observed the buzzing sound is controlled after reducing the Bass setting to -5. Any value higher than this is giving un comfortable buzz. My sound settings are default settings with bass reduced to -5. Better settings if any are requested from the friends.
Thanx

thanx for the reply

Did you not demo this or other TVs properly before buying - also if you would have read carefully about it in this forum, it has been mentioned as well (flat panel hence SQ is compromised etc). In any case having a HT is again a personal choice and no company would like to lose revenue by offering it free. Its like accessories with your car... As far as I know, only Panasonic is/was offering free HT but others like LG, Samsung (BDP), Sony are not... may be they have slightly better SQ so the users are not complaining.

Regarding the buzzing sound, I will check again and confirm.

Hello All ,
Requesting all the owners of UT50 to please post pics of their TV playing SD channel and if you have HD channels, kindly post pics of HD channels too.

Also howz the 3d quality on this UT50 ?

btw thanks to all for sharing their views and opinions. These are really helpful to all the prospective buyers like me...Thanks again.

- Myzus

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back