parametric equalizer

vmscbe1974

hi friends

Will a parametric equalizer be a better option for noise reduction for older phono recordings.

kindly guide.
Regards
srinivas

Will a parametric equalizer be a better option for noise reduction for older phono recordings

Hi,

Get a SAE "click and pop" noise suppressor. It works with dirty old records. Had one of these back in the 80's along with some DBX noise reduction/dynamic expander stuff .

Best is to clean the records well.

SAE MODEL 5000 (Vintage Impulse Noise Reduction System) | eBay

SAE 5000A LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT | eBay

Average price seems to be around $60-$90 .

sae 5000 | eBay

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
a low pass filter would help in reducing rumble. i am looking out for noise filters kind of hardware to reduce the vocal sibling and 78 rpm record surface and scratch noises.

Strictly speaking any type of EQ is not meant for noise reduction but for shaping sound and controlling feedback or overload of a particular frequency.

For real time noise reduction there are professional Noise reduction unit available which are quiet costly (eg: CEDAR AUDIO). If you want to go the software way then there are host of software available in the market which can remove noise / rumble / clicks and pops from vinyl recordings. Adobe Audition does the job quiet well at reasonable cost.
SONIC SOLUTION is another great pro software / hardware combo for noise reduction.

You can make CDs from such recordings if you want to.I have been doing NR for years and its a very time taking but fruitful job.

iam looking only for noise reduction hardware systems to listen to my 1000 odd shellac records .if you could help me i would be very thankful to you.the groove and surface noise elimination with rumble filter and all frequencies above 6khz and below 30khz removed.
regards
srinivas

6khz is too low. I would stay above 12khz. My speakers drop off after 10khz and they lack the airy SQ.

--G0bble

My suggestions is to ensure that your records are cleaned properly. I'm not a great fan on hi-pass and low-pass filters as they effect the overall sound quality :)

Last edited:
If you are buying the DEQ2496, ensure that you buy the microphone as well (it does not come included). I once considered buying one but did not at the last minute. Was costing about $300 at the time in the United States.

any inputs on presonus paramaetric equalizer.costing 10800 Rs. at bajaoo.com, and noise gate/limiter from pope audio

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back