Pass F5 Turbo V3 build

I don't think any other DIYer in India would have successfully completed so many pass amp projects... Hats off to your DIY spirit!

Completed today my F5 V3 project

the build is around Teabag's boards (DIYA) and uses 4 pairs of MOSFETS per channel. The toroid is 1 KVA, 2 X 32 V capable of giving 47VDC after rectifier and capacitor bank on no load.

Some noob questions.

1. I remember Om mentioning somewhere that the amp consumes 140 Watts per channel and that it is sufficient if PS supplies double the power. So in this case, 280 (watts) x 2 (channels) = 560 VA trafo should be sufficient. Even catering to additional 20% over the rated efficiency, it would work out to 672 VA. So does it not suffice if a 700 VA trafo is used?

2. As per my understanding, 32 volts AC at secondary means 45.12 volts DC after the rectification. I've not understood how 47 volts is being output after the PS. Am I missing anything here?:confused:

Here are few pictures for you guys.

It would be a great help for noobs like me to post links to the original sites like imageshack etc for more detailed viewing.

Last edited:
Some noob questions.

1. I remember Om mentioning somewhere that the amp consumes 140 Watts per channel and that it is sufficient if PS supplies double the power. So in this case, 280 (watts) x 2 (channels) = 560 VA trafo should be sufficient. Even catering to additional 20% over the rated efficiency, it would work out to 672 VA. So does it not suffice if a 700 VA trafo is used?

2. As per my understanding, 32 volts AC at secondary means 45.12 volts DC after the rectification. I've not understood how 47 volts is being output after the PS. Am I missing anything here?:confused:

It would be a great help for noobs like me to post links to the original sites like imageshack etc.

Captain,
Though this is addressed to Anil I am just chipping in so that I get corrected if wrong.

Thumb rule - Transformers run cooler till withdrawn 40% of its max output power.

In V2 each channel supposed to dissipate 105W and DIYA people says select transformer 3-5times of desired dissipation. So it comes ~300VA-500VA/ch. Below 300VA/ch it will start heating. Also this 105W comes ~40% of 300VA/ch. Please note this is minimum required, more is better. Sann bought 1KVA trafo with 4 X (24V-0, 250VA) secondaries.

Rest Anil can correct me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Om thanks for the answers. They are right ofcourse.

Couple of additional points:

You are looking at my V3 build and not V2 build. The rail voltages and output pairs are different.

For V2, the transformer is 2 X 24V AC and goes onto become 2 X 32VDC. On V3, the rails are 2 X 32V AC and go on to 2 X 47V DC on 'no load' and falls to 2 X 43v on full bias.

For V2, Toroid of 800VA, 2 X 24V is enough.

Cheers.

anilsf3.jpg

Anilji what are the dimensions of the cabinet? I'm asking to have a reference to decide on my cabinet.

I thought I posted the dimensions somewhere in the other Pass Build thread. I will check and post it for you again. Don't remember.

Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back