Pass F5 Turbo V3 build

anilva

Folks,

Completed today my F5 V3 project after many months of collecting components and planning.

The build was pretty tough as it meant lugging huge weights and dealing with very high DC volts, amps as well as huge amount of capacitors.

The build went without a glitch. Used a soft start switch from ebay, which is working pretty well. I have biased the amp and becomes quite hot and is pushing my massive heatsinks to the limit. The V3 can easily saturate double the current heatsink size. The design seems to have so much capability.

Basically the build is around Teabag's boards (DIYA) and uses 4 pairs of MOSFETS per channel. The toroid is 1 KVA, 2 X 32 V capable of giving 47VDC after rectifier and capacitor bank on no load.

The capacitors used are Panasonic 27000 uF, 63V imported from Digikey. Just the caps costed me Rs. 18K including 3K duty. It's been a pretty expensive build without counting hours and days of my time.

The amp is dead silent and cannot make out if it is ON. I have not done the listening tests yet. Will do that and post my impressions.

Here are few pictures for you guys.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Just completed the listening tests. Absolutely wonderful. Exactly the same Pass F5 sound signature along with very tight hold on music and bass. Plays with ease. Extremely detailed and yet powerful.

I had to back off the bias levels a bit to allow for heatsink to operate within safe temp zone. May need to add fan cooling if I want to drive full bias, which for my simple speaker system is not a requirement.

Cheers.

Great build Anilji. I'm eager to visit you next time I visit Bangalore. Hope you have some free time to accommodate my visit.

Anilva,

Great. Just curious, This looks like 4th pass F5 build from your side. I think you have done more like ALEPH amps too. You should be either having number of listening rooms or you should have big enough rack to hold all these amps.

Kudos for your interest in DIY.

On my side I have been held up with some personal committments want to resume by build soon.

Anilva,

Great. Just curious, This looks like 4th pass F5 build from your side. I think you have done more like ALEPH amps too. You should be either having number of listening rooms or you should have big enough rack to hold all these amps.

Kudos for your interest in DIY.

On my side I have been held up with some personal committments want to resume by build soon.

Thanks. This is my 5th F5 (standard F5, Mini-F5, Dual output F5, F5T V2, F5T V3) and one Aleph J making it a total of 6 Pass amps. Two other amps (J2 Clone and F6) are in the pipeline.

At any point in time, I deploy 3 of them and rest are resting....

Cheers.

Wonderful piece of engineering...These kinda work really supply fuel and kick start to other locomotives!

Make it as a flamboyant amp...

:clapping:
What to say? No words..

After looking this build I am waiting impatiently to complete my F5 build. I don't know when stars will fall inline to my way. Our guide anilva has built so many F5's , may be I can have one room heater :D and for my first one I am getting delayed by these metal fabrication guys. I don't want to do that metal shredding at home :sad:

Last edited:
What to say? No words..

After looking this build I am waiting impatiently to complete my F5 build. I don't know when stars will fall inline to my way. This fellow anilva has so many F5's :D and for my first one I am getting delayed by these metal fabrication guys. I don't want to do that metal shredding at home :sad:

I am eagerly waiting for atleast one member from the group buy to complete the amp build. Enthusiasm is one thing, but to complete it, takes a lot of time and commitment particularly in builds like F5. I cannot tell you enough as to how much of my patience has been tested from time to time. What we save in buying from a shop, we pay through our patience and family time and sometimes end up in a undesirable outcome.

I am eagerly waiting for atleast one member from the group buy to complete the amp build. Enthusiasm is one thing, but to complete it, takes a lot of time and commitment particularly in builds like F5. I cannot tell you enough as to how much of my patience has been tested from time to time. What we save in buying from a shop, we pay through our patience and family time and sometimes end up in a undesirable outcome.
Sure! I will try to complete it by this month end. You are correct about our diy investments. Luckily my family is very considerate to my passion. But I don't want their patience wearing thin.

You are correct. I got held up with a personal commitment. My dad not doing well health wise. Need more time for him to settle down. It is sure on the way.
May in the next month or two I should get it done.

With regards to the FAMILY time getting affected you are correct 100 % correct.

What to say? No words..

After looking this build I am waiting impatiently to complete my F5 build. I don't know when stars will fall inline to my way. Our guide anilva has built so many F5's , may be I can have one room heater :D and for my first one I am getting delayed by these metal fabrication guys. I don't want to do that metal shredding at home :sad:

BTW I changed those words though my intention was to express Anil's place as a DIYer far ahead. He is one who build so many pass amps with a busy schedule and no one including me could get through first one. There was nothing to disrespect him.
Hope my words are not taken with some other context.

BTW I changed those words though my intention was to express Anil's place as a DIYer far ahead. He is one who build so many pass amps with a busy schedule and no one including me could get through first one. There was nothing to disrespect him.
Hope my words are not taken with some other context.

Om, normally I would have minded, but from some one who has contributed so much for the cause of DIY in such selfless manner, I have absolutely no problem. It's part of brotherhood.

Cheers.

Great build as always. Pass amplifiers will be best for my Srinagar home, especially during winters with the mercury touching and even going below zero.
Even my pass 5 build has stuck up due to unavailability of retail heat sinks in Chandigarh.
I will keep on waiting till I get a great cabinet to finish the same. FM Bibin is building some good ones the only thing to be tested is whether they can take the heat.

Great build as always. Pass amplifiers will be best for my Srinagar home, especially during winters with the mercury touching and even going below zero.
Even my pass 5 build has stuck up due to unavailability of retail heat sinks in Chandigarh.
I will keep on waiting till I get a great cabinet to finish the same. FM Bibin is building some good ones the only thing to be tested is whether they can take the heat.

Hi Doc,
Fm Sann has found a shop for heatsinks at Pune,looks perfect for F5 Turbo. You can contact him.He may be able to ship to you.You can see pic here http://www.hifivision.com/diy/28245-diy-pass-f5-turbo-v2-initiated-58.html

Regards,
Sachin

Hello Anilva,

Very good build and excellent result at the end.

Can I know the weight of Heat Sink used/meter

Thanks
Venu

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back