PC For Music listening

i still cant find where it states which version is for which platform
ive got a table that mentions platform as none for all the releases of the new version

Quite right. Even I am unable to find different platform version. The direct download link points to Windows version...

lovely!
thanks vortex.

a question
would he recursive cue list creater work only if i have ALL the songs of that album saved in the folder?
what if i want to skip a few songs that i dont like . also what if i have 5 songs each of two albums that i lisen too but save themin only one folder under 1 album?
the cue list will be created then too ?

now i gotta figure out how to run this PC headless
anyone doing that? yet ?

i have a laptop and i thought of running the desktop PC on which cplay is loaded headless using the laptop.
what would i need for that.
a wifi card on the PC? and a wifi router?

otherwise ill have to just get an unobtrusive 7 inch screen.
(i dont have place for a large monitor. also i dont want that giant lying around inmy listening area just for the purpose of browsing through music!)

vortex,cranky supra
what you guys using?

Magma - Recursive Cue Creator will create Cue sheets for every folder comprising of any and all music files within. Please note that this will also create cue sheets for even MP3 files - whereas cPlay cannot play them.

I am really not sure what you mean when you say 'headless'. I sure do hope nothing like that happens to you:)

If you were referring to accessing your home PC through your laptop - there are various ways of doing that. You can even enable Remote access in Windows. Or there are other ways of doing this through the internet as well. Is that what you were asking? Or if there was a home network, this would be a simple matter of using Remote Desktop and accessing your PC through your laptop using the IP address of the former.

also vortex
arent both the softwares the recursive cue list creator and the Cplay list editior essentially the same?

basically all i can understand it that the recursive cue list creater automates the entire process.

cant you do the exact same thing as the creator cue list creatoer using the Cplaylist edittor ( yes ofcourse you will be going through each individual albunfolder and genetating each playlist one by one)

No - they are different. In the sense that CPlaylist editor offers you far more versatility. At the cost of some automation done by the Recursive cue creator. Do try them out.

Quite right. Even I am unable to find different platform version. The direct download link points to Windows version...

downlaod and use a utility called "CPU-Z"
that will tell you which versions of ss ,sss etc your processor is compatible with
accordingly download the cmp and cplay softwares

in general P4 1.6ghz single core or centrinos would take SSE2 or SSE3

more advanced ones would take ssse3

even more advanced sse4

Magma - Recursive Cue Creator will create Cue sheets for every folder comprising of any and all music files within. Please note that this will also create cue sheets for even MP3 files - whereas cPlay cannot play them.

I am really not sure what you mean when you say 'headless'. I sure do hope nothing like that happens to you:)

by headless i meant without a monitor at all :D
(using my laptop monitor to double up as my pc monitor too)

but for that i would have to have wifi setup.
my current wifi setup in the other room is not strong enought to cater to mylistening room as well.

ANyway
i think i will just try and get a 7 inch monitor
any ofyou guys know of such a product

i found a smasung syncmaster u70 - its a usb monitor and marketted as a secondary monitor. i wonder if it canbe used as a primary.
also the downside of it being a usb one and taking up my bus wllhave to be dealt with
Samsung's SyncMaster U70 is 7-inches of extra real estate

the other ones i found were boss monioters mainly used in car audio for backseat viewing
im not sure whetehr these would work as primary monitors
Amazon.com: Boss Audio BV7HR 7-Inch Headrest TFT Monitor: Electronics

can someone help?

yes there are Xenarc monitors but those are too expensive:mad:

my monitor budget is 100$ or so which should be sufficient i believe
monior is only required for browinsg throug songs on the XP interface

Last edited:
Why not just buy a 15 inch LCD monitor from LT road (Viewsonic, acer or low end Samsung , Lg)
I don't think it can cost more then 7 to 8k and plus you can use the PC properly if needed with a 15 inch screen

This i got from LG india site
LG LCD Monitors & LG CRT With High-tech Performance & Unique Designs | LG Electronics India

The street price would be surely some hundred rupees less. But i think many have stopped making 15 inchers

sirji
i know that 15inch monitors would be cheap
however i want 7inches for specific reason

sirji
i know that 15inch monitors would be cheap
however i want 7inches for specific reason

Okay :)
Just check the resolution it goes to. I think it should at least be 800X600 for you to work properly on windows

Okay :)
Just check the resolution it goes to. I think it should at least be 800X600 for you to work properly on windows

yeh but i cant find any monitor for the purpose
all the monitors i find have VGA input (check the sites ive posted on boss audio) and have a signal wire ( which is really supposed to be connected to the head unit of your CAR audio signal)

now maybe cranky or vortex or gobble can help about the workaround for this

pls help

ST is availble currenlty in germany and a couple european countries,\
My source is sourcing them from there i suppose

How is the ST different from the STX? What's the improvement? I'm wondering if it's already time for an upgrade.

no difference
the ST is a PCI version availble with a daughter board at extra cost ( the daughter board has more I/p and O/ps for HT)

no difference
the ST is a PCI version availble with a daughter board at extra cost ( the daughter board has more I/p and O/ps for HT)
So, that is a good thing isn't it? IMO, we would not need to invest in higher power SMPS like in the case of a PCI Express Card?

So, that is a good thing isn't it? IMO, we would not need to invest in higher power SMPS like in the case of a PCI Express Card?

PCI express is the future ( well it is) and some believe sound reproduction may be better
others like cranky i think belive the opposite

i dont belive anything
i just prefer PCI

has anyone actaully read and pondered over exactly what the first para of "Art of building computer..."
actaully means

generally ive seen that after reading these articles members tend to have a notion that building a Music PC (with a good SC as suggested in the articles) will tend to better a standalone CDP

this however is not exactly true

though ive built a music PC myself i know a good cdp (less than 35k!)does sound better than just a music PC with even a 200$ soundcard
(i built mine only for convinience of changing songs,albums etc- and i think thats its advantage only)

now heres the proof (never mind my own listening reviews)

have you noticed the first para of the article
here it is

"This paper targets CD transports
with a view to dramatically reduce its cost whilst improve its performance. By using a
good quality PC costing ~$1,500 (including a good sound card), one can exceed
performances of traditional transports in excess of $20,000. This is achieved by
careful implementation of each PC component and the use of open source freeware
such as Foobar2000 and EAC."

note it uses the word "transport" and not source
first of ,i dont know who the hell would spend 20000$ for just a transport
i have a few high flying audio nut friends and even they would not do such stupidness!

basically the article is saying the building the musci pc andf ollowing all the optimisations will just give you the best transport .
it doesnt mean its the best SOURCE!

for after the transport , is the dac
which conviniently they forget to mention uptill pg 26 of the manual

this means you spend money onbuilding the musicPC with a good 150-200$ SC and still you dont have a good source(as many wrongly believ)
you still require a good dac
now good DAC's are generally 500$ and above!

well if youre gonna spend 400$ (20k-25k inr with SC) on a music PC and 500$ on a dac (1000$-1200$!and above total)
i would easily get a CDP with decent SQ in less!

hence before being carried away by such articles please understand what the 1st para means!

the way i see it

there are two kinds of listeners
the first kind are old school who prefer listening to the entire album.They generally pick their albums carefully and like the artists interpretation of music too
I feel such guys are better off getting a standalone CDP.
even a dvdp would do provided its decent and they plan to buy a DAC
even a mid fi one (CDP or dac)would be better than just a music PC with even good Scards

the other kind are the gen next fellows, or people who tend to change tracks,albums artists often
for these the Music PC makes for sense purely for convinience
A dac would be reqd here for best performance.
Music PC and dac options generally require a lot of fiddling and trail errors
since a synergy is reqd betwen the dacs,PC and amps
ive seen many ppl of this kind changing dacs ever so often.(they are never content!:D )

now if you have an unsed old PC lying around then well thats an exception
but if you fall in the first category, going out and buying a music PC ...is umm well not very smart

decide where you fall.
Dont be carried away by either the music PC or standalone CDP fanclubs
A wrong decsion will haunt you

when you hit mid fi
you will see that a differnce in source is more prominent than a diff in amp
Your focus should be a source more than an amp

Last edited:
great write up magma, as usual.
I always felt the same way, also because I did not have an extra pc lying around. I spent 8k trying to revive an old laptop, which is again dead. This time it seems the MB is gone.
Though I dream everyday of building a music PC - I have actually put my money till now in a CDP - NAD 542. Supposed to have reliability issues - though I haven't faced any.
The other place where I have spent money is in xtreamer - I am thinking of using it with my DAC, with a locally attached HDD instead of streaming. Let us see how does it turn out.
Other option guys is to use Squeezebox touch for $300 - it gives you a great convergence and has carefully selected parts to play music (supposed to have a good built in dac). Squeezebox classic is good as well, but needs a PC on to play music.
I will buy a SB Touch too - but seems it is not available right now.

has anyone actaully read and pondered over exactly what the first para of "Art of building computer..."
actaully means

generally ive seen that after reading these articles members tend to have a notion that building a Music PC (with a good SC as suggested in the articles) will tend to better a standalone CDP

this however is not exactly true

though ive built a music PC myself i know a good cdp (less than 35k!)does sound better than just a music PC with even a 200$ soundcard
(i built mine only for convinience of changing songs,albums etc- and i think thats its advantage only)

now heres the proof (never mind my own listening reviews)

have you noticed the first para of the article
here it is

"This paper targets CD transports
with a view to dramatically reduce its cost whilst improve its performance. By using a
good quality PC costing ~$1,500 (including a good sound card), one can exceed
performances of traditional transports in excess of $20,000. This is achieved by
careful implementation of each PC component and the use of open source freeware
such as Foobar2000 and EAC."

note it uses the word "transport" and not source
first of ,i dont know who the hell would spend 20000$ for just a transport
i have a few high flying audio nut friends and even they would not do such stupidness!

basically the article is saying the building the musci pc andf ollowing all the optimisations will just give you the best transport .
it doesnt mean its the best SOURCE!

for after the transport , is the dac
which conviniently they forget to mention uptill pg 26 of the manual

this means you spend money onbuilding the musicPC with a good 150-200$ SC and still you dont have a good source(as many wrongly believ)
you still require a good dac
now good DAC's are generally 500$ and above!

well if youre gonna spend 400$ (20k-25k inr with SC) on a music PC and 500$ on a dac (1000$-1200$!and above total)
i would easily get a CDP with decent SQ in less!

hence before being carried away by such articles please understand what the 1st para means!

the way i see it

there are two kinds of listeners
the first kind are old school who prefer listening to the entire album.They generally pick their albums carefully and like the artists interpretation of music too
I feel such guys are better off getting a standalone CDP.
even a dvdp would do provided its decent and they plan to buy a DAC
even a mid fi one (CDP or dac)would be better than just a music PC with even good Scards

the other kind are the gen next fellows, or people who tend to change tracks,albums artists often
for these the Music PC makes for sense purely for convinience
A dac would be reqd here for best performance.
Music PC and dac options generally require a lot of fiddling and trail errors
since a synergy is reqd betwen the dacs,PC and amps
ive seen many ppl of this kind changing dacs ever so often.(they are never content!:D )

now if you have an unsed old PC lying around then well thats an exception
but if you fall in the first category, going out and buying a music PC ...is umm well not very smart

decide where you fall.
Dont be carried away by either the music PC or standalone CDP fanclubs
A wrong decsion will haunt you

when you hit mid fi
you will see that a differnce in source is more prominent than a diff in amp
Your focus should be a source more than an amp

I think this post wud make a you bit unpopular with some users...but you spoke what you believe :)

recently I did an experiment by connecting my laptop to my AVR through optical cable. ripped a few songs with dbpoweramp, in wav, flac and lame mp3

guess what....my experience was a bit disappointing. i used foobar 2000 without engaging equalizers. the sound from wav and flac was two dimensional. lot of detail but it was not sounding like music. in audiophile terms....too analytical. I tried AB with NAD cd player vs pc output, the NAD was more musical to my ears. lame mp3 rips were...lame.

things were different when I engaged equalizers, mp3's actually started sounding better. but problem was mp3 eq settings were too much for flacs. so I had to make another setting for flac and wav.

I may have done something wrong here (any advice to improve sq wud be appreciated), but i started feeling that using pc audio is not exactly as easy as connecting a cd player to your system.

well vaishnav
some SC's do sound less analytical

the point of the post was not to create a ummm..flutter

by now ive heard a Rme hammer, an Echo mia midi, and an M audio 1010lt and a Xonar DX,Emu 404 pci
all these soundcards are supposed to be good.
some are even used for mastering
now yes ive not head the xonar essence but it would really be an achivement if the essence beats all these cards by such a margin and changes the sc sound so much (so as to sound musical)
hence Invariably ive seen the a DAC does come into the picture in a PC based rig

i was just cautioing users to know what they were getting into
as i said there are two kinds of listeners
A user should decide which category he falls in-not get blindly carried away by the advice of a user who falls in the other category

the point of the post was advice , not to argue/disprove anyone!

having said that vaishnav
i myself use PC as source with a sc card!
2 reasons-
1. i fall into the 2nd category so convinience is simportant to me.(ive backed up all my music on HDD and is accesible easily)
2. i find it is more VFM ( at least till i earn more!)

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back