Peerless drivers for OB speakers

Re: Tymphany custom OEM surplus drivers group buy

I called Jitubhai today. He could not provide me the TS parameters of the 12" woofer immediately, though he said the data is available. Will call them again.

Anyone has any idea if they do have a large woofer suitable for OB applications? Any other suitable drivers, available locally (like P-Audio, etc)?

For ob, you will need high xmax, preferably more than 0.5 qts. Car drivers do have these qualities but not sure of their application in home environment. If they can work with acceptable distortion then they should make great drivers for ob

I called Jitubhai today. He could not provide me the TS parameters of the 12" woofer immediately, though he said the data is available. Will call them again.
What? Jeetubhai has the Peerless driver used in the Manzanita?

What? Jeetubhai has the Peerless driver used in the Manzanita?

He didn't give me a model number though I asked him. Anyway, I get a feeling the Qts and Xmax wont be suited for OB.

Varsha Electronics, Shop No 8, Gelda Dham CHS Ltd, Ghatkopar West, Jagdusha Nagar, Near North Bombay High School, Mumbai 400086
Phone: 9821026522, 9821161535

Now that shipments for the Tymphany full ranger has resumed, I'm tempted more and more to go with the Manzanita Ultra OB which pairs the Tymphany with a GRS 15PF-8, 15 inch woofer. But the dampener is the cost of shipping from USA. The pair of drivers cost about $60 and shipping plus customs etc through eBay.in Global Easy Buy is about $200!

Below is the eBay listing for one piece, but there's another one for a pair at about INR 16.x K.

GRS 15PF-8 15" Paper Cone Foam Surround Woofer Speaker 8ohms 300W 87dB 1.50" VC

Has anyone used eBay GEB? Hassle free? Are there cheaper alternatives which will take care of shipping and customs?

I have gone through the specs sheets of all Peerless India woofers, but none meet the specs needed. I have also gone through the specs of Ahuja woofers but same dead end there too. Also tried P Audio woofers but none matching. I'm still looking for alternatives. Not sure if Bolton has good woofers. I'm looking for something that can be an alternative to the GRS woofer mentioned above, or Peerless 830669, 12" paper cone woofer. Specs here:

Peerless 830669 12" Paper Cone SLS Subwoofer

Any pointers?

The TC9FD and the Tymphany drivers are not the same, so can the Tymphany just be substituted in its place in the Manzanita?If that is the case,why not start from scratch with a locally available woofer and custom crossover?

Last edited:
In fact they're same. This was mentioned by linuxguru somewhere early in the Tymphany thread. I have personally also compared specs of the 8 Ohms version of the Tymphany side by side with the Vifa, and if I remember correctly, they match exactly. Tymphany is the OEM for Vifa.

Joshua,
GRS driver's qts looks good for OB, however please consider sensitivity with respect to the FR driver you are going to use, if you are going to use active XO and planning to biamp, you can ignore sensitivity.

In fact they're same. This was mentioned by linuxguru somewhere early in the Tymphany thread. I have personally also compared specs of the 8 Ohms version of the Tymphany side by side with the Vifa, and if I remember correctly, they match exactly. Tymphany is the OEM for Vifa.

Unless I am missing something in the picture,our local drivers are these-

Tymphany TYPY03W06O0111 3-1/2" Full Range Driver

6Ohms,123-10500Hz.

The one used in the Manzanitas are the Vifa/Tymphany TC9FD.
Tymphany TC9FD-18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer

8Ohms,100-20000Hz,and other parameters being different.

All I speaker gyaan I have is from reading bits off the discussion threads,but these are not the same,right?
So,even if they sound just as good or as even better from member's listening impressions and as being suggested on DiyA, will the crossovers be the same?

Last edited:
To clarify - TC9FD is a paper-cone; TG9FD is a glass-fibre cone and TPY03W is a Kevlar-cone driver. They differ in specs as well as T/S params, though all 3 are nearly identical in dimensions, and all are OEM manufactured by Tymphany.

In subjective evaluations of audible sonics, TC9FD consistently tops most blind and double-blind tests against drivers that cost 10x to 20x the price. Its only drawback is relatively low power-handling of sub-10W. The TG9FD and the TPY03W are rated much higher at 25W to 30W, depending on impedance, but have higher Fs and also high-frequency rolloff above 12 and 10.5 kHz respectively. The latter two may need a helper tweeter, depending on the application.

Hello forum members
Please don't purchase peerless speakers from India. They are very cheap quality items, and also over priced. No other information available for their site. Peerless denmark is very different item.

Last edited:
Joshua,
GRS driver's qts looks good for OB, however please consider sensitivity with respect to the FR driver you are going to use, if you are going to use active XO and planning to biamp, you can ignore sensitivity.

Sann: the Manzanita and Manzanita Ultra are proven designs by John Busch (4+ year old thread on diyaudio). The original Manzanita used a 1 inch Vifa tweeter with the Peerless SLS 830669 woofer. The second (current) version uses a Vifa TC9FD-18-08 instead of the Vifa tweeter. The Manzanita, by OB standards, has a very small baffle (only 15 inches wide) and the height also isn't full size so needs a platform or legs to rise to listener ear height.

The Ultra is a full sized OB (24" wide and 48" tall) and uses the GRS 15" woofer with the same Vifa TC9FD-18-08 full ranger.

Appropriately placed, both versions go down flat to genuine 38 Hz (below which there is a steep 12 dB/Oct roll-off, IIRC). But the penalty paid is in the rather low sensitivity - 82-83 dB/1W/1m and the need to have a 36" to 42" space between the speaker and front wall for obtaining proper bass weight.

More details of the Manzanita here: Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project - Page 46 - diyAudio

Manzanita Ultra details here: The best affordable DIY open baffle loudspeaker I've listened to so far.

Both are designed for passive crossover networks.

Unless I am missing something in the picture,our local drivers are these-

You are right, Suraj. Let me ask Mr Busch if it will be possible to use the Kevlar cone version of the full ranger with some not too major tweaks to his x-over. He is usually very helpful. But the primary stumbling block remains for now - how to source the GRS or Peerless woofer without paying through the nose and defeating the very purpose of building a cheap but very good OB.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back