Performence of Logitech Z-5500 with Philips DVD Player 3368/94 via Coaxial output

Subha15011976

Hello everyone,

Plz some body help me.

I have a Philips DVD player 3368/94 having coaxial output.

This September I will buy a logitech z-5500. will this machine can decode Dolby 5.1 & Dts 5.1 surround sound from my dvd player via coaxial output for movies.

How about music specially MP3 (320 kbps).

Subhasish
Payradanga,Nadia, W.B.

z5500 is not the best for music. You will find the mids lacking. The highs are good. The lows might get too bassy. You will find the need for the mids. Thats what I found and is similar to the several reviews/comments found on the net.

z5500 is very good for movies though.

If it is purely for music, the AudioEngine A2/A5 are supposed to be a better choice.

On your decoding question of DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, yes it will.

It works good for music and great for movies, though the sub has a tendency to become boomy. Otherwise it is a very good option. Just that for pure music, there are better options.

well subha...i own a z-5500 and if u connect it via a digital optical/co-axial cable yes it will be able to decode music... and its an amazing set of speakers..

however if music is your only choice of usage u better buy off an amp and bookshelf for that price.. try norge 1000 with wharfedale 9.1 best combo for that price for music...

if movies and some more usage go for z-5500 for 16.5-17k

Thank you all for yours valuable suggestion.

Music is not my only choice, I loved to enjoy movies also. I have some collections of original DVD's with Dolby 5.1 and/or Dts 5.1 sound and some MP3 with bit rate of 320 kbp/s.

Will those be fully enjoyable with Logitech Z-5500.

Hello everyone,

Plz some body help me.

I have a Philips DVD player 3368/94 having coaxial output.

This September I will buy a logitech z-5500. will this machine can decode Dolby 5.1 & Dts 5.1 surround sound from my dvd player via coaxial output for movies.

How about music specially MP3 (320 kbps).

Subhasish
Payradanga,Nadia, W.B.

Well,'
i Have this deal on my forums ,Here there is a guy called manu george ,He has so many reviews on z5500 that i am amazed ,Have a Peek -> Lynx - The Community Forums

well subha if u want to watch movies and mps 320kbps ... i bet z-5500 wud be ur best bet for that price and they are amazing.. and bass keeps u happy while u watch movies..

just chk for the sub placement .. try to find the sweet spot and some tweaks and there it goes... i can feel my wall next to it .. vibrating.. ( sherlock holmes) 720p few scenes.. and cpl more..

How does Logitech Z-5500 (THX Certified) differ form other Non-THX home theater system in respect of performence and technical parameters. What makes it special....?

thx is like a certification that provides us and info that the speakers are made under strict quality control measures.. and will try to take you close to real cinematic experience..

also as i have used them over a period of time. would not state that they are out of the world.. however for 15.5k u get 5 sat and 10in sub along with decoder and amp onboard.. and they have been made in compliance with each other and proper balanced tuning has been done as thx guidelines.. so they do well..

one of our fellow member demoed my speakers today afternoon and he bought one new set today...

as for your questions... for thx and non thx.. ( this is my personal experience) i felt
that i was feeling the sound around me and getting endulged with the scenes..
compared to the non thx

however all these things depends on variable.

video and audio quality.
connection ( analog or digital)
speaker placement..

and above our personal inclination( psychological inclination)

also the best performace i have noted with these speakers were (xi-fi) sound card digital( optical connection) and playing .flac files. and thats the time..
i loved em...sheer performance

Last edited:
Thanks my friend.

can u guide me about the speakers & sub lay-out for my room.

My room is 14" - 12".

can i set the sub into the corner of my room with adioganal angle.

the speakers have to be in straight line with ur ear when u sit ..
and if lcd is taken center then FR and FL has to be equal distance from lcd & center s
and also turned to an angle that the speaker faces u directly..

same has to be done with the surrounds.. they have to be turned inwards ( 30d-45d)

then try the sub in corner .. hit and trial to find the sweet spot

however corner is the best place for the sub.

rest the gurus have to chip in for advanced tweaking...

I have two other options for complete HT system.
1) Sony DAV 510 (1000 w RMS)
2) Philips HTS 5540/94 (1200 w RMS with 3D angled speakers)

Will any of the above two can be the replace of Logitech z 5500.
Plz some one give a view on yhat.

well subha.. to be true i tested sony infact not only dav 510 but dav dz600series and
above that but no shame.. i wud buy any other local speakers which will be half the price and give same quality...

yes philips my friends is good and philips 3571 is one of the most recommended ones
and few people like it over z-5500 as its seems to be quite boomy.

philips is amazing vfm and good for music and decent movies.. but it cannot
touch z-5500 when it comes to movies.. also philips got a tight bass
but when u watch action scenes on logi. u live em

2 days back our forum member after having a demo for logi at my place.
bought them in evening and sold his philips.

and plz no for sony.. they have got rattling issues and lot more.. also a no for tower speakers from sammy,lg or the matter of fact philips..
as they are plastic and rattling happenes.. and highs tear off...

however if its a matter for htib.. definitely.. philips...

i have logi and onkyo 3100.. but yes for philips as an htib..

but if logi and philips.. i wud prefer logi ( this is my personal prefrence)
if you are in hyd u can come down to my place for a demo for onkyo and logi..

decide after demoing.. as every one has got a diff taste of music

Thanks a lot My friend for your worm invitation. But I am from West Bengal & around 80 K.M. away from Kolkata. In future if I w'll go to Hyd. I must go to your place.

I have a mindset about logi, but my only point of concern is how logi perform with my philips dvd player.

In future I also have a plan to buy sony/philips/pioneer/panasonic Blu-Ray Player. how logi perfoem with them.

can u guide me about above BD players. Which is best buy?

Thanks friend, thanks once again.

Thanks a lot My friend for your worm invitation. But I am from West Bengal & around 80 K.M. away from Kolkata. In future if I w'll go to Hyd. I must go to your place.

I have a mindset about logi, but my only point of concern is how logi perform with my philips dvd player.

In future I also have a plan to buy sony/philips/pioneer/panasonic Blu-Ray Player. how logi perfoem with them.

can u guide me about above BD players. Which is best buy?

Thanks friend, thanks once again.

Coaxial not support DTS HD and DTS MA. So forget the Bluray :lol:

well with the bdp players u can use the digital optical out with your bdp and logi..
and same with philips dvd player see if u have optical out and hdmi to the tv.

I have a Sony LCD 22 inch. (BX-300). It has hdmi out but no optical out.

since logi...z5500 has no hdmi input, how does it sound with BD player via cox.. or opti..., when I play BD disc.

What's Ur say my friend?

subha if you use a bdp then the audio out via optical will go to logitech and hdmi will go to the tv..

u can select audio out via digital optical in ur bdp settings, and the hdmi will then carry only the video signals

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back