Pets (dog) safe audio set-up

raj_mj

Hi
Anyone who has brought home a pet(especially dog) and had to do changes to the audio set-up to make it pet safe? I have bookshelf speakers on DIY stands and Avr in open cabinates, have been worried that my new puppy 'koko" may accidently may topple the speakers or chew on the avr/cables. One month and she has not ventured in that area luckily but it worries me a lot. Anyone who has dealt with this situation and can suggest ways to avoid any mishaps?

Hi
Anyone who has brought home a pet(especially dog) and had to do changes to the audio set-up to make it pet safe? I have bookshelf speakers on DIY stands and Avr in open cabinates, have been worried that my new puppy 'koko" may accidently may topple the speakers or chew on the avr/cables. One month and she has not ventured in that area luckily but it worries me a lot. Anyone who has dealt with this situation and can suggest ways to avoid any mishaps?

I got a friend in Mumbai who has 3 dogs......they chew on his shoes etc...he is married and has no kids....both love dogs....he also loves his music system......

He has made a high cabinet and placed his AVR in the cabinet with set top box and other devices.....speakers are Bose AM5.....cubes are wall mounted and the subwoofer is kept sleeping on the top of the cabinet.....it does mess up the look but system is safe and performance is not affected.

In your case,,,,,I assume you have many rooms.....pups are playful and the wannabe explorers....so be careful...better to train her not to go there....play something loud and she may get scared and never enter the hall....most pets get scared of crackers etc during diwali.......

Final it is your call...else conceal all wires where possible...wallmount the bookshelfs....put some glass doors for the cabinets housing the AVR etc...with small holes so heat can escape...

All the best!

Hi
I have two dogs at home. Always scared that they'll knock the speaker stands and cause damage.
They have lightly bumped into it a few times, but then we humans have too (more often).
My older (bigger) male dog tried to pee on my Integrated Amp when he was a pup.
I had nick-named him "Amp-peer" for a few weeks.

Conceal wires as much as possible. Cover equipment with a dust cloth.
Spray some room freshener (or old spice) on dust cloth in front of dog a few times.
The spray action and odor usually deters them.
Every time they go dangerously or inquisitively close to equipment, I deter them positively.
A firm "no" or "come here" usually works.

During movie sessions, center channel is free game. My younger (smaller) female dog is very curious about this speaker.
When left alone at home, they usually just sleep. Make sure there are enough shoes and other goodies to chew on.

Cheers,
Raghu

Guess pets and kids, if raised around electronics from a young age, will get used to being around them without causing any harm in general.
I remember seeing this guy reviewing all his SVS gear around his rather large dogs. And they seem quite at home, literally, around those big boxes.

My golden retriever chewed the cable of subwoofer toggle pedal once. I told nothing but she saw me fixing the cable with a sad face. And whenever she goes near the speakers, I say a firm 'NO'. Now she's trained and doesn't seem to disturb the system by any means.

I have two dogs. One is 8 who i have had since it was a puppy. Your pup is going to chew on everything it can get it's paws on so be careful. Training is the best thing over the long run. But in the mean while if you want to keep the setup as it is with stands and all, get a cage built either of wood or iron that is heavy at the base, so nothing can topple it. I have not done so but trust me, that pup is going to chew on everything for the next 6 to 8 months.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back