PHASE PLUG design - help me choose from these models please ...

I tried something like this Decware phase plug white paper.
I had used simple curtain rods plated with Crome. I think I used 3/4" one.
I followed the white paper but could not follow it completely as I did not have the formulae. I had used simple Helmholtz one from net, and did a quick one. You can use various light material, or mseal to make the internal of the plug. I had used a metal cap for each which was inserted deep to the required depth. The plug was magnetically stuck to the back magnet and was inserted from the front (whizzer cone side).
It worked but not much per my audience. I did not check what was the impact of cutting out the dust cap. It definitely has reduced cone mass.
I think the total change as a whole was effective to have a better high frequency imaging and little higher SPL.

Hope it helps.

Curtain rod ends could be a great idea. Something like a hollow pipe which stays stuck to the centre and you can screw different shapes on to the other end. Sounds easier than what can be done but not a bad idea. May be quite doable and more so with vented poles.
Not really, they are generally quite heavy.

I tried something like this Decware phase plug white paper.
I had used simple curtain rods plated with Crome. I think I used 3/4" one.
I followed the white paper but could not follow it completely as I did not have the formulae. I had used simple Helmholtz one from net, and did a quick one. You can use various light material, or mseal to make the internal of the plug. I had used a metal cap for each which was inserted deep to the required depth. The plug was magnetically stuck to the back magnet and was inserted from the front (whizzer cone side).
It worked but not much per my audience. I did not check what was the impact of cutting out the dust cap. It definitely has reduced cone mass.
I think the total change as a whole was effective to have a better high frequency imaging and little higher SPL.

Hope it helps.
Thank you for sharing the paper. Its an interesting read !!

Curtain rod ends could be a great idea. Something like a hollow pipe which stays stuck to the centre and you can screw different shapes on to the other end. Sounds easier than what can be done but not a bad idea. May be quite doable and more so with vented poles.

Actually I taught of glueing a half rupee coin at the bottom of wooden phase plug.
This will stick to the magnet easily.

I will make the first set like that red color blub i shared above. With somewhat pointed end.
May be I will make two different lengths and check how they sound.

Pics of sone 8 incher full ranger which I had built few years back ......

Attachments

• 20181123_151516.jpg
    20181123_151516.jpg
    846.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20181123_151448.jpg
    20181123_151448.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181123_151412.jpg
    20181123_151412.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181123_151255.jpg
    20181123_151255.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20181123_151218.jpg
    20181123_151218.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181123_151141.jpg
    20181123_151141.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 28
Actually I taught of glueing a half rupee coin at the bottom of wooden phase plug.
This will stick to the magnet easily.

IMO not a good idea for the final setup. De-routing magnetic field lines from the top of the pole piece will adversely affect the driver's linearity. For trials the coin trick should be fine.

Back