PHASE PLUG design - help me choose from these models please ...

Naveenbnc

hello All, im curious to try a phase plug for my 12" FR driver.
Can you help me to decide which shape is better from the below options please ...
(Purpose is to solve the NARROW HF dispersion issue)

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

Phase plug_1.JPG

I got my phase plugs for my Fostex 208 sigma drivers from here - https://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html

Nicely made perfect fitting and i got the maple wood ones I think oiled ones to match the banana pulp of my woofer cones :). It did make a difference with the highs becoming smoother and removing some of the harshness in my Jericho build.

Thanks

I got my phase plugs for my Fostex 208 sigma drivers from here - https://www.planet10-hifi.com/pp-info.html

Nicely made perfect fitting and i got the maple wood ones I think oiled ones to match the banana pulp of my woofer cones :). It did make a difference with the highs becoming smoother and removing some of the harshness in my Jericho build.

Thanks
wow ... thanks for the lead :D:D
If I can get suitable size and shape for my drivers in a reasonable cost, I will buy them instead of diy.
I have two varieties of 12" drivers SK12FRX and DX12F200 (both from Ahuja)

Wondering what is the shape & size suitable for those. ....

I think I paid $50 including shipping if I remember it right. Please do not tell anyone that I paid this amount for wooden plugs :)

sure il get it done locally ....
people who make Kondapalli wooden toys can make them with great finish. :D:D
But I dont think i can find them in hyderabad

kondapalli toys.JPG

:D:D
to begin with ...
i need to know which of the 7 shapes (in my first post) can be reasonably suitable for my drivers ...

It should be similar to a light bulb and recessed from the surrounds. I would not prefer any of your designs.
I haven't seen you active in the last few days. Thanks for pitching in :D:D

I forgot the name of that particular bulb...I guess its like a bed bulb. With a pointed nose.

IMHO, the shape totally depends on the whizzer's radiation characteristics. With linear slope whizzers HF generated in its whole surface faces destructive interference off-axis, while in exponential ones the closer you are to the root the more interference at HF. The exponential ones benefit from the shape of the bulb you posted above, while the linear ones benefit from either straight cyllindrical or a gradually linearly expanding plug. In my drivers (linear slope whizzer) I used the gradually linearly expanding plug and dispersion is very good to excellent. The rate of expansion from base to tip of plug will depnd on whizzer's vertex angle. I think it will be better to get different shaped plugs made and try each and choose the one with best audible results.

@Naveenbnc if you want a little bit of religious overtone touched with some seductive looks, take inspiration from the Shiva lingam :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back