Philips 4Ohm sat speakers with Onkyo AVR

gras4

I know the recommended way to build a solid HT is to start with the speakers. But i don't count myself among a audiophile wannabe.

So i want to start with a fairly future-ready AVR - at this point, the new Onkyo NR609.

I have a Philips 3152/98 DVD HTIB. The speakers are rated at 4Ohms. Question I have is - can i use the sat speakers from this with the Onkyo AVR? The AVR shows rated power at 6 & 8 Ohms but not with the 4 Ohms.

Will the AVR blow the speakers out literally? :p

no i dont think so, but the AVR will certainly heat up..why? because of ohms law. V = IR, where v is voltage, I is current and R is resistance. the same formula can be represented as I = V/R. which also means, for a constant voltage, lesser the R, higher will be the current. Hence more current will flow through AVR amplifier due to 4 ohms resistor.

There is an option in the Onkyo AVR(atleast there is, in 608) to set the Speaker Impedance to 4 or 6ohm....so i think u should be fine.

There are lots of speakers in the various price bands that have 4ohm rating,so that in itself aint a worry factor i would say....but in this particular case, the speakers may not even be 4ohms as rated,might go even lower when driven, to say,3 or 2 ohms,which may pose some threat to the AVR.Am a noob at this, so take what i said with a mountain of salt and wait for the gurus to chip in. :)

Regards

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back