Philips 5996 OR Pio 610

Yogesh

No Where Near to where I want to be yet...
I believe, Most popular DVPs in the forum are 1. Oppo 2. DV 99 3. Pio 610 4. Philips 5996 in that order.

Now, Oppo and CA are high end and have dedicated thread in forum. While Philips is cheapest and Pio in grey comes close price wise. So, I want to start discussion here for the lower range i.e. 610 v/s 5996.

Everybody seems to rate 610 higher. But, In smaller cities, thare can be probem for service/part availibility regarding 610. And, in grey there is no Guarranty/Warranty. Philips has advantage in this regard. 5996 also has karaoke. Pio has more option of playable discs(DVDA etc).

Most users also tend to rate 610 higher perfornance wise.

So, I invite all experts to give their valuable insights and all users of the two to share their experience with the two.

Regards,

Yogesh.

I believe, Most popular DVPs in the forum are 1. Oppo 2. DV 99 3. Pio 610 4. Philips 5996 in that order.

Now, Oppo and CA are high end and have dedicated thread in forum. While Philips is cheapest and Pio in grey comes close price wise. So, I want to start discussion here for the lower range i.e. 610 v/s 5996.

Everybody seems to rate 610 higher. But, In smaller cities, thare can be probem for service/part availibility regarding 610. And, in grey there is no Guarranty/Warranty. Philips has advantage in this regard. 5996 also has karaoke. Pio has more option of playable discs(DVDA etc).

Most users also tend to rate 610 higher perfornance wise.

So, I invite all experts to give their valuable insights and all users of the two to share their experience with the two.

Regards,

Yogesh.

you have answered the query yourself. In order of preference it should be Pioneer610>Pioneer 410/Philips>LG/Samsung. If you are on a budget the 410 wuld do to and PQ of both the Pioneer's are identical albeit the HW being different. What kind of setup do you have? The 410 should be good too but if warranty etc is of importance - stick to Philips. Some people might have a bad experience with it - its sound in PQ and lively in the sound area as a cheap solution.

Oppo is the ultimate though - with thw quality of upscaled video and audio surpassing even mid-end to high end dvd players and budget cd players.

Hey you started 2 same threads to decide between 2 players.
Majority wins huh? :eek:hyeah:

Be careful of buying recent Philips Equipment , some units tend to become defective after few days of operation. Their recent Quality control over product in China is doubtful.

I second that. I have 2 players from philips and both have gone for repairs - twice each.
Warranty is just 6 months and you are screwed after that - I had to spend 1000 rs on 5986 as it started stuttering on video and audio.

BTW in bangalore the pioneer dealers is offering 30% to 50% discount on dvd players,HTiBs,A/V recieveres, atleast that was the ad in the newspaper.

sony 708H is also priced at 5k has hdmi and usb. First sony dvdp I have seen with usb.
If it was there in the market before I got philips, I would have bought it.

Sony as usual -no analouge 5.1 DD & DTS output !
Pioneers ( in anyone wants) has this + SACD + DVD A Plyer!

Hi All, a newbie here and have lots of doubts and confusions regarding what to go for. For such one doubt I need some advice.
This is regarding the DVD player to go for. Budget is around 5-6k. Looking for HDMI output, Digital audio out(Co-ax or optical) so that the output can be used in the AVR(for which I again have some doubt but I'll post in other thread).
I was initially planning for Philips 3996 or 5996. But after going through some of the discussions here it seems that Pioneer is better than Philips. So I'm adding Pioneer to the list.
Now it seems that Pioneer is selling Pio-600AV for 5.5k as clearance sale and 610AV for 9.5k, this with bill and warranty. Would like to know that what difference are there between these two players?
How is the difference is Picture Quality?
Any problems/issues with 600AV?
And does 600AM makes for sense than Philips 3996?
Will it make sense to spend that extra 4k for the 610AV instead of 600AV? Or is it better to go for 410AV instead of 600AV as it's almost similar to 610AV?
Please answer as I'm in a dilemma to which one to go for. Would probably pick it up tomorrow.
Regards,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back