Philips DVD player vs Sony DVD player: Choice is yours

Rupam

I'm planning to buy a DVD player for my 21'' Panasonic CRT TV (will be connected via monster component cable). At present I will be using TV speakers for sound but in future I can upgrade to HT system. I have narrowed down my choice to two models: Philips DVP3368/94 and Sony DVP-SR650P. I want 5.1 output and DTS decoding is a must.
If you can give your personal views, user experience and cons and pros of these models, it will be very helpful for me. I heard that Philips DVD players some times do not detect DVDs and display "No Disc ". Is it true?
Finally, my utmost concern is video quality.
You can also suggest other brands but the budget is 4k.
Thanks

hi Rupam,

This Philips Player has the options you need, its the higher range model in Philips.

PHILIPS DVP 3388-94 DVD PLAYER, though it doesnt play SACD and DVD-AUDIO.

It also has the same and some upgraded features as PIONEER DV610-AV DVD PLAYER. And the price is also cheaper than the PIONEER

It costs around RS.4800/- to RS.5300/-, i think but im sure about the exact price of this PHILIPS DVD PLAYER

DVD player with HDMI and USB
HDMI 1080p DivX Ultra

Specifications:

Picture/Display
D/A converter: 12 bit, 108 MHz
Picture enhancement: Progressive Scan, High Def (720p, 1080i, 1080p), Video Upscaling(720p, 1080i/p), Smart Picture, Video upsampling, Video upscaling
Sound
D/A converter: 24 bit, 192 kHz
Signal to noise ratio: > 90
Distortion and Noise (1kHz): > 65 dB
Crosstalk (1kHz): > 70 dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz): > 80 dB
Sound System: Dolby Digital, DTS
Frequency response: 30-20000 Hz

Video Playback
Playback Media: CD, CD-R/CD-RW, Video CD/SVCD, DVD, DivX, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD-Video
Compression formats: MPEG1, MPEG2, DivX 3.11, DivX 4.x, DivX 5.x, DivX 6.0, DivX Ultra, WMV
Video disc playback system: PAL, NTSC

Audio Playback
Playback Media: CD, MP3-CD, MP3-DVD, CD-R/RW, WMA-CD, Audio CD
Compression format: Dolby Digital, MP3, PCM, WMA
MP3 bit rates: 32 - 320 kbps
Still Picture Playback
Playback Media: DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD-R/RW, Picture CD, Kodak Picture CD
Picture Compression Format: JPEG
Picture Enhancement: Flip photos, Rotate, Zoom, Slideshow with MP3 playback, High Definition Resolution
Multimedia Applications
Multimedia connections: USB memory class device
Playback Formats: DivX, MP3, JPEG Still pictures

Connectivity
Rear Connections: Composite video (CVBS) output, HDMI output, Digital coaxial out, ComponentVideo out Progressive, Digital optical out, Analog audio Multi-channel out
Front / Side connections: USB

Convenience
Child Protection: Parental Control, Child Lock
On-Screen Display languages: English, Hindi, Russian

Accessories
Included Accessories: 2 x AAA Batteries, Quick start guide, Remote Control, User Manual, Warranty Leaflet, Audio/Video cable, World Wide Warranty leaflet

Dimensions
Set dimensions (W x H x D): 360 x 38 x 210 mm
Packaging dimensions (W x H x D): 415 x 82 x 282 mm
Set weight: 1.4 kg

Power
Power supply: 50Hz, 230V
Power consumption: < 12 W
Standby power consumption: < 0.3 W

Cheers.

Philips.

The lesser Sony's have 5.1, but the better quality (HDMI) ones do not.

Not only that, the Philips uses a 24 bit D/A converter whereas Sony is using a 16 bit one though that only does matter if you are using the analogue outputs for audio.

Philips.

Not only that, the Philips uses a 24 bit D/A converter whereas Sony is using a 16 bit one though that only does matter if you are using the analogue outputs for audio.

Hi KDM,

Does this sony model has dts decoder built-in and does it decodes dts onboard through the 5.1 multi-channel output.

cheers

Last edited:
Philips.

Does a 24bit D/A have any real world advantage over 16 bit converter? :rolleyes:
As for HDMI connection, may be in future when I will buy a LCD, the HDMI connection will come in Handy.

Does a 24bit D/A have any real world advantage over 16 bit converter? :rolleyes:

Well, according to the DVD Video's audio specification:

Wikipedia said:
Audio is commonly stored using the Dolby Digital (AC-3) or Digital Theater System (DTS) formats, ranging from 16-bits/48 kHz to 24-bits/96 kHz format with monaural to 6.1-channel "Surround Sound" presentation, and/or MPEG-1 Layer 2 and/or LPCM Stereophonic.

The majority of DVDs have 16/48, but the standard calls for 24/96 as well. Sony and other companies (LG) have been recently using lower spec DACs to cut down on costs. Some degradation will occur when your down sample a DVD with 24 bit audio and play it through a 16 bit DAC unless you play it through a receiver with the right DAC.

Philips, on the other hand has a DAC that exceeds the specs.

The few, if any, discs with 24 bit audio, will play back without distortion on the Philips player.

As for HDMI connection, may be in future when I will buy a LCD, the HDMI connection will come in Handy

Correct. BUT

1) Cheap players with HDMI are available for Rs. 3000+ It makes no sense to buy one without HDMI today.

2) If that LCD set arrives before you expect it to (as it did in my case), you'll be stuck with component video, which is soft when compared with a proper HDMI player (even without upscaling).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this sony model has dts decoder built-in and does it decodes dts onboard through the 5.1 multi-channel output.

It may have some sort of DTS built it, but I have my doubts about it being able to decode DTS in 5.1

specs Sony DVP-SR650P said:
MPEG 5.1ch Output Yes
DTS Yes
Dolby Digital Output Yes (5.1ch)

See how they've fudged it? :D They've said that the unit does supply 5.1 Audio in MPEG and 5.1 Audio in DD - but why keep mum about DTS? My suggestion would be to check thoroughly before you buy. I get the feeling that Sony may be able only to down mix DTS to 2.0, if at all.

And for the record, I don't hate Sony products or am trying to steer anyone away from the brand. I own a Philips DVD Recorder, a Sony DVD player and many other Sony products.

Last edited:
Beside Specification and features one thing can be said that the Sony Players will last longer than the Philips, as Philips presently has a terrible quality control and service.........:sad:

Beside Specification and features one thing can be said that the Sony Players will last longer than the Philips, as Philips presently has a terrible quality control and service.........:sad:

I would agree with you there. Sony players are built better than Philips - but without the features.

See how they've fudged it? :D They've said that the unit does supply 5.1 Audio in MPEG and 5.1 Audio in DD - but why keep mum about DTS? My suggestion would be to check thoroughly before you buy. I get the feeling that Sony may be able only to down mix DTS to 2.0, if at all.

Thanks for pointing that out. As reputed company Sony should come clear about the right specification of their products. Sony is trying deliberately to confuse the customers who are not so well informed about the technology. As I have noticed that there is not a single DVD player from both Sony and Philips which can be termed as ideal.

Model No : Sony DVP-SR650P

SYSTEM
Single / Changer Yes /
DVD-Video/CD/Video CD/SVCD Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
CD-R/RW Yes / Yes
MP3 (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
JPEG (CD-R/RW), Kodak Yes
DivX (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
AAC (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
WMA (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
LPCM (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
MPEG-1 (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
Simple MPEG-4 (CD-R/RW) Yes / Yes
DVD+RW/+R/+R DL (Video) Yes / Yes / Yes
DVD-RW/-R/-R DL (Video) Yes / Yes / Yes
DVD-RW/-R/-R DL (VR) Yes / Yes / Yes
MP3 (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
JPEG (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
DivX (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
AAC (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
WMA (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
LPCM (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
MPEG-1 (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
Simple MPEG-4 (DVD-RW/-R/-R DL/+RW/+R/+R DL) Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
MP3 (USB) Yes
JPEG (USB) Yes
DivX (USB) Yes
AAC (USB) Yes
WMA (USB) Yes
LPCM (USB) Yes
MPEG-1 (USB) Yes
Simple MPEG-4 (USB) Yes
DVD/CD Text Yes / Yes
Twin Laser Pick Up Yes
Dynamic Tilt Compensation Yes
DivX Playback Yes

VIDEO
Progressive Scan (PS) Yes
Video DAC 12bit/108MHz for philips 12 bit, 108 MHz
Video Equaliser Yes (Picture, Brightness, Color, Hue)
Sharpness Yes
Custom Picture Mode Yes
High Speed Search Yes
Instant Replay Yes
Instant Advance Yes
Fast/Slow Play with Audio Yes
NTSC / PAL Yes / Yes
Color Default Setting PAL (C)
TV Type Default Setting 16:9

Audio
Audio DAC 192kHz/16bit for philips model : 24 bit, 192 kHz
DD/DTS/MPEG Digital Output Yes / Yes / Yes
MPEG 5.1ch Output Yes
DTS Yes
Dolby Digital Output Yes (5.1ch)
Digital Output (Linear PCM) 96kHz/24bit
TV Virtual Surround (TVS) Yes (Standard, Dynamic, Wide, Night, Dynamic Theatre)

CONSTRUCTION
Front Panel Mold (Low)
Design MIDI
Union Jack FL Display Yes
Width (mm) 320
Height (mm) 32
Depth (mm) 209
Weight excl. carton (kg) 1.2

Function
Control Menu Yes
Background Graphics Yes
Screen Saver Yes
Child Lock Yes
Quick Set Up Yes
Multi-Disc Resume 6 Discs
Title/Chapter Viewer Yes
Auto Power Off (Default) Yes (OFF)
Power Resume Yes
MP3 ID3 Lyrics Yes

I/O
Composite Video Output 1
Component Video Output 1
Analog Audio 2ch Output (L,R) 1
Coaxial Digital Output 1
USB 1

ACCESSORY
AV Cable Yes
Instruction Manual Yes
AA Battery 2

One Year Warranty.

Thanks for pointing that out. As reputed company Sony should come clear about the right specification of their products. Sony is trying deliberately to confuse the customers who are not so well informed about the technology. As I have noticed that there is not a single DVD player from both Sony and Philips which can be termed as ideal.

I'd suggest checking the players out thoroughly before you buy.

Sony is notoriously sensitive to bad disk!!
If you have very very fine scratches in your disk, forget playing it in sony. It will get struck and eject.

Philips is lesser sensitive to scratches than sony.

New LGs and Onida are best suitable for damaged disks. They have an algorithm to skip a few seconds and resume. Works for most but heavily damaged disks.

Sony is notoriously sensitive to bad disk!!
If you have very very fine scratches in your disk, forget playing it in sony. It will get struck and eject.

Philips is lesser sensitive to scratches than sony.

While it is true that Philips is less sensitive to scratches than Sony, it's simply not accurate to say that if one has very, very fine scratches on a DVD, forget playing it back on a Sony. This is simply a fallacy.

I have a Philips DVD recorder (DVDR-3365) as well as a Sony DVD (DVP-NS50) player and both of them handle fine scratches, without a problem. The problem occurs with deeper scratches which the Philips transport is able to read better than the Sony. Notable DVDs that don't play properly on the Sony are heavily scratched DVDs from the likes of BCL and such libraries.

Why not Pioneers?

The cheapo Pioneers are over-rated. The more expensive ones are fabulous.

The cheapo Pioneers are over-rated. The more expensive ones are fabulous.

Can you mention specific model numbers? In the last 10 years I have not come across a single Pioneer DVD player that has not delivered as specified. I recently tested their cheapest model - the DV220 - and that will beat all the players being discussed here.

Cheers

Can you mention specific model numbers? In the last 10 years I have not come across a single Pioneer DVD player that has not delivered as specified. I recently tested their cheapest model - the DV220 - and that will beat all the players being discussed here.

Cheers

The same which was reviwed by Venkat Sir,
Do read it.

Last edited:
While it is true that Philips is less sensitive to scratches than Sony, it's simply not accurate to say that if one has very, very fine scratches on a DVD, forget playing it back on a Sony. This is simply a fallacy.

I could not get most DVDs (divx specifically) that I have and run fine in my LG DVD player/laptop to run on my friends' sony/philips. More so in the sony. These are DVDs I wrote myself.

It does not mean that the DVD never plays. It means, some times it plays quarter/halfway or until towards the end and ejects without warning. Sometimes it gets fixed by fast forwarding beyond that point but some times it won't. My point is, better to avoid sony rather than deal with this lottery. IMPO, If the movie does not play in full, it is as good as not playing at all.

Philips plays 'some' files that are not detected by my LG but I see no advantages with the sony.

BTW, My LG is 2.5 years old with divx and no USB support. It could be further improved by now.

The sony (2 nos) and philips in question are relatively new.

Hope the data helps you decide.

Thanks Everyone ,
But this is not the first time that I'm going to use a DVD player. I have a Sony HTiB [DAV-SB100]. its almost 4 years old. But has Dolby, DTS decoding capabilities with component output. Now its showing signs of age. Thats why I'm going for a New DVD player. According to your experiences I came to these following conclusions :

Sony DVD Players

1. Sony players have better built quality compared to Philips DVD players.
  2. Aftersales service of Sony India is more satisfactory.
  3. BUT Sony DVD players are very sensitive to scratched DVDs. [this I also experienced]

Philips
  1. Philips DVDs players lacks the built quality of Sony DVD players.
  2. Although the presence of Philips Service centres in India is extensive, the quality of the service is questionable.
  3. Philips DVD players handle scratched DVDs more easyly.
  4. Its budget models have HDMI and 5.1 discreet output both.

Now, I have a lot of DVDs with slight, fine scratches. Some of the DVDs that I have burned with Nero refuse to play on my Sony HTib. But I have tested them on Philips DVD player at my friends home. They play just fine. So the assumption of error handling capabilities of Philips is true. But I don't have any first hand experience in LG or Samsung DVD players.

Pioneer is nonetheless a high end company. Their quality is beyond doubt. But I am weary of the support in the small town I live in.......:sad:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back