Philips DVP 5982 DVD Player - How to make it Region free?

kumareshwar

Hi.

I have imported a Philips DVD player from the USA. Model DVP 5982. It has excellent features like upscaling and an USB slot. But I find that it plays only some dvds from Region 1 and ALL category.

Can someone help me make it 'Region free' so that it plays DVDs from all regions, esp India and the USA?

A detailed set of instructions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eswar.

Eashwar,

I saw a set of common instructions across the Net. I have not tried this as I do not have a Philips player. But since this is only remote control based, you will not spoil the DVD Player.

1. Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
  2. Open the tray (The tray must stay open during the whole exercise)
  3. Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
  4. Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
  5. Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
  6. Press the 1 button on your remote control
  7. Press the 3 button on your remote control
  8. Press the 8 button on your remote control
  9. Press the 9 button on your remote control
  10. Press the 3 button on your remote control
  11. Press the 1 button on your remote control
  12. The current Region Code Setting will display
  13. Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions
  14. Press the PLAY Button on the remote control

Let me know if it works.

Cheers

Venkat,

I donno how to thank you. You are a gem of a man and am I glad that I have joined this forum. You have first helped me buy a wonderful 7.1 Speaker system within my budget ( of course, I have almost doubled it subsequent to my joining the forum) - Wharfedale 9.6 et al - and then to identify Denon AVR 1909 Receiver as the that suits my needs. Now, you help me in making my DVD Player "Region free". I have strictly followed your instructions and now it shows '0' as the Region on my DVD Player. How can I thank you!

Only one problem. I have returned the DVD I borrowed from Bigflix. I am going out of station early tomorrow morning and will be away from Hyderabad for a week. The moment I return, I shall test my DVD Player with a Region 3 DVD and will let you know. Anyway, I have no doubt whatsoever that it will work. Its VENKAT who has advised me, right?

Thanks a ton. :)

Regards,

Eswar.

My pleasure Eashwar. As long as things work out and you enjoy every moment with the system.

Cheers.

Venkat,

Thanks a lot for the procedure suggested. Can I follow these steps for my Philips DVP 642K player. It is a region 3 player.

Eashwar,

I saw a set of common instructions across the Net. I have not tried this as I do not have a Philips player. But since this is only remote control based, you will not spoil the DVD Player.

13. Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions

Let me know if it works.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks a lot for raising this question. It is very useful to our forum members. We are very lucky to have the helping hands of Venkat.

Hi.

I have imported a Philips DVD player from the USA. Model DVP 5982. It has excellent features like upscaling and an USB slot. But I find that it plays only some dvds from Region 1 and ALL category.

Can someone help me make it 'Region free' so that it plays DVDs from all regions, esp India and the USA?

A detailed set of instructions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eswar.

Venkat,

Thanks a lot for the procedure suggested. Can I follow these steps for my Philips DVP 642K player. It is a region 3 player.

No Muthu. The procedure for 642K is completely different. Use the fllowing procedure:

1. First check you DVD Player is working properly by using your region DVD for a few seconds.

2. Remove the DVD, and power down the player.

3. Power the player on. It should show 'No Disk'

3. Using your remote, open the tray (Keep it open)

4. Press 7 8 9 <OK> 0 om your remote. (SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE. OK, and ZERO.

5. The player will display both your old region code and the new region code. In your case Muthu it should display 3 and 0.

The region code has been changed.

The <OK> is the OK button on your remote. The ZERO in the sequence of keys is the new region code you need. Zero is region free. If you want some other region, say TWO, you should use the sequence - 7 8 9 <OK> 2.

Cheers

Thank you very much Venkat. I will try the steps and inform the results.

No Muthu. The procedure for 642K is completely different. Use the fllowing procedure:

1. First check you DVD Player is working properly by using your region DVD for a few seconds.

2. Remove the DVD, and power down the player.

3. Power the player on. It should show 'No Disk'

3. Using your remote, open the tray (Keep it open)

4. Press 7 8 9 <OK> 0 om your remote. (SEVEN, EIGHT, NINE. OK, and ZERO.

5. The player will display both your old region code and the new region code. In your case Muthu it should display 3 and 0.

The region code has been changed.

The <OK> is the OK button on your remote. The ZERO in the sequence of keys is the new region code you need. Zero is region free. If you want some other region, say TWO, you should use the sequence - 7 8 9 <OK> 2.

Cheers

Hi Muthuswami,

I totally endorse your opinion about Venkat. No need to thank e. I am just one of the many who, I am sure, benefit from the sound advice given by Venkat. It is people like him who make our lives easier. I am truly glad that I have joined this wonderful forum. It has been just a happenstance that I discovered this forum and I can unhesitatingly say that it has helped me take right decisions.

Regards,

Eswar.

Eshwar and Muthu, thank you for your kind words. All I am doing is collecting information and passing them on when appropriate.

Cheers

Venkat,

Thats exactly what ppl like mw want. Its ppl like u, SuhasG and Gopi (just some whose advice helped me, there may be many more on the forum) who make this forum what it is. EXCELLENT. I am just acknowledging a fact.
Regards,

Eswar.

Venkat,

Information gathering is a special skill and sharing the information to others is like providing education. In both the ways, you are successful.

By the way, I have changed my DVD player as region-free. On pressing 789 <Ok> 0, 0 was displayed on the screen. This indicates that the region is set to zero.

Thanks a lot.

Eshwar and Muthu, thank you for your kind words. All I am doing is collecting information and passing them on when appropriate.

Cheers

By the way, I have changed my DVD player as region-free. On pressing 789 <Ok> 0, 0 was displayed on the screen. This indicates that the region is set to zero.

Thanks a lot.

Please try a Region 1 or Region 2 DVD and see if it works.

Cheers.

Eashwar,

Let me know if it works.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

I have a Philips DVP3986 that I have not been able to locate a hack for. Please let me know if you come across or run into anything for this model.

I have a Philips DVP3986 that I have not been able to locate a hack for. Please let me know if you come across or run into anything for this model.

Moser, you bought this in India right? Have you tried the dealer of Philips service center?

Cheers

Moser, you bought this in India right? Have you tried the dealer of Philips service center?

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

No I have not checked with them yet. I have to visit them one of these days since an older Philips DVD player is not ejecting the tray so I guess I will have both issues addressed at the same time unless I come across a hack before then.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hi,

How to make Denon 1930CI (US) make region free?
It is NTSC with Region 1 & all DVD playback.
Any firmware or method?

Hi Venkat,

This worked for my model DVP3986 in case anyone is looking for the same.

Go to Setup.
Select Preference Page.
Press 1, 3, 8, 9, 3, 1 on the Philips DVP3986 DVD Player remote.
Press the up/down key to select "0" which makes it region free.
Press ok and exit setup.

Eashwar,

Let me know if it works.

Cheers

would ya mind sharing the source of this information?
Thanx!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back