Philips GA 242 Electronic needs help!

vikgr8

First of all, a big hello to everyone. My name is Vikram and im from Patiala, Punjab.
I stumbled upon this gem of a website while looking for some information on Turntables. My dad's an ex army man and he bought himself a new Philips 242 Electronic 242 back in the 1980s. I remember him playing it some 15 years ago! It's been lying there ever since in the drawing room, collecting dust. For some reason, I convinced him to get it working. we were cleaning it and saw that two of the wires from the headshell that connect to the cartridge were broken at the tip where it connects to the cart (which is still the original one). He decided to solder them, which im not sure was the right way to go about it, but to my surprise, the TT did turn on and actually started playing!
Now the problem! - We noticed that the output only came out form the right speaker and i guess the wire for the left output wasnt fixed well?
So here I am, asking for help! how should I go about fixing this, because I really have become somewhat addicted to getting this working!
I really hope the wonderful people here could help me!
Thanks!

thanks for the quick response! I'm not at home and unfortunately cant put up picture just yet, but maybe the attached picture can help you get an idea of what im on about. The wires are DELICATE! And Philips is notorious for making their products rather obscenely hard to correct. Ive marked a circle where mine's come off. I understand this isnt a good representation, but that'll give you some clue??

Attachments

• PHONO.jpg
    PHONO.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 100
if you solder wires to a cart, the heat might have damaged the internal connections of the cart - might want to check continuity at the rca terminals and the cartridge terminals

this is what you required in the first place, a new set :

turntable-cartridge-headshell-wires-B009W2BE0M-1000x1000.jpg

I don't know whether your problem solved or not. How ever the cartridge picture you showed is not original one I doubt. May be your father changed it by some point of time. 242 Turntable comes with GP390 ceramic cartridge.

However you can replace the wire connection of cart right to left and left to right. If you still found that one channel is not working then you have to replace cartridge.

I don't know whether your problem solved or not. How ever the cartridge picture you showed is not original one I doubt. May be your father changed it by some point of time. 242 Turntable comes with GP390 ceramic cartridge.

However you can replace the wire connection of cart right to left and left to right. If you still found that one channel is not working then you have to replace cartridge.
Hi Pappu
Where do we find the cartridge ?

first u check the cartridge internal impedance,,it should be from 430 ohms to 1100 ohms in each Chanel. then u replace or re cut the wire and reconnect it.careful that ground connection would be checked properly in both channels.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back