Philips Hi-Fi International Vintage Amp & Speakers

came across this tired set
upB6iDxl.jpg

NererbPl.jpg

sRw8Sekl.jpg

the cabinet is in good shape, but there are small holes in the midranges, and one of the woofers is not working

It was pretty sensitive, but I wasn't too impressed with the sound. Are they really worth saving?

Was still looking for a decent vintage bookshelf when i ran into a sony one for 3k - i was told that the drivers have been replaced by boston speakers. opened one up to find out that they were hiq drivers (hq48413)

came home and hooked it up to my NAD 3020 and they sound dreadful. Eventually swapped the stock cone tweeter for a peerless TL25SN, and the mids were still having some strange distortion. Opened both of them up to find some damage in the surrounds, plus the other driver was a HQ48001.

finally got fed up and went to ritchie, and got a brand new pair of HA48413 for 650 Rs (for a pair! :D). swapped the speakers, and added a film cap in parallel to the electrolytic filtering to the tweeter, hooked it up, and sweet music!

for 650 a pair, these are the damn best value for money for vocal speakers ever!

Was still looking for a decent vintage bookshelf when i ran into a sony one for 3k - i was told that the drivers have been replaced by boston speakers. opened one up to find out that they were hiq drivers (hq48413)

came home and hooked it up to my NAD 3020 and they sound dreadful. Eventually swapped the stock cone tweeter for a peerless TL25SN, and the mids were still having some strange distortion. Opened both of them up to find some damage in the surrounds, plus the other driver was a HQ48001.

finally got fed up and went to ritchie, and got a brand new pair of HA48413 for 650 Rs (for a pair! :D). swapped the speakers, and added a film cap in parallel to the electrolytic filtering to the tweeter, hooked it up, and sweet music!

for 650 a pair, these are the damn best value for money for vocal speakers ever!

Dear friend,

Can you please post an image of the modifications made to the original speaker?

Thanking you,
pksnathan

Dear friend,

Can you please post an image of the modifications made to the original speaker?

Thanking you,
pksnathan

pJdmjWT.jpg

This is after the tweeter was replaced. The replacement fullrange driver is the same one except being slightly newer.

the original woofer seems to have been taken out, and the opening for it seems to have been cut out to fit the new speaker.

pJdmjWT.jpg

This is after the tweeter was replaced. The replacement fullrange driver is the same one except being slightly newer.

the original woofer seems to have been taken out, and the opening for it seems to have been cut out to fit the new speaker.

Thank you friend for acceding to my request.

Regards,
pksnathan

i too have same speakers philips hifi international, restored them but when i am connecting this to an amplifier its not sounding better, therefore i removed the crossover from the box, now its some what better. can any one help me know where i making mistake...this is the amplifier i am using...

Attachments

• IMG_20161105_153247019.jpg
    IMG_20161105_153247019.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20161105_153035405.jpg
    IMG_20161105_153035405.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20161105_153049135.jpg
    IMG_20161105_153049135.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20161105_153057098.jpg
    IMG_20161105_153057098.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20161105_153946158.jpg
    IMG_20161105_153946158.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 115
can you post some pics of the crossovers?
the caps are probably shot, and you may need to check the inductors for continuity

also, did you use different replacement drivers? the cones look different - they may be the problem

oh, that amp is from harbinder radio corp, old delhi (i guess), they provided a TBA810S based amplispeaker dual kit which helped me build my first stereo 7-watt amp when I was in standard 9. But honestly, apart from the caps on the crossover, you need to think beyond the HRC amp. Probably, the original hi-fi international tuner-amp of these speakers :)

i too have same speakers philips hifi international, restored them but when i am connecting this to an amplifier its not sounding better, therefore i removed the crossover from the box, now its some what better. can any one help me know where i making mistake...this is the amplifier i am using...
The original cone was a paper surrounding at corners but I think you replaced it with a rubber surrounding ( the one which is normally seen on woofers for better excursion) the new cone could be a problem as it will not be as stiff as the original.

Regards
Bilal

can you post some pics of the crossovers?
the caps are probably shot, and you may need to check the inductors for continuity

also, did you use different replacement drivers? the cones look different - they may be the problem

as paper was damaged for mid range and 8'' woofer had them repaired, no idea what the repair guy did. probably he has changed drivers, cones are also different from old ones. How do i check the crossover defect...

Attachments

• IMG_20161106_174833924.jpg
    IMG_20161106_174833924.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 72
The Philips Hi-Fi International,especially the tuner-amp,alongwith their TT(I think it was GA-242) was very classy.In fact Philips advertised it as 'Sound,you can touch'.It was beautifully clear and had a sound which was very pleasing.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back