Pioneer BDP-170 vs Pioneer BDP-450 vs Samsung BD-H6500

noblejose

Guys,
Pioneer BDP-170 vs Pioneer BDP-450 vs Samsung BD-H6500
Which one is better? - I don't want that extra 4K and Smart feature of samsung as I already have a smart tv.

BDP-170 is around 11K
BDP-450 is around 16K
BD-H6500 around 11K

Even I am stuck up here. Only addition to the above choices is Sony bdp s1200 as I am not looking for 3D one. Can somebody help understand what offers good value for money amongst these 4?

From what I've gathered till now, the Pioneer BDT-170 makes a decent buy for an entry level 3D player.

I'm most likely to pick up one before the weekend, but the Sony 4200 is leaving me undecided.

I picked up samsung H6500 for 9250 yesterday.
So far more than happy with the performance. Plays any of the major file formats. Wifi, smart player.. apps...even has a web browser...really worth it

What capacity of HDD can it take?
(Unlike Sony S1200 which claims on the pkgg - 'HDD compatible upto 4TB' I don't see other brands mentioning it, though it is such an important feature creating doubt in one's mind)

Also, does it play flac files?

The h6500 is a very good performer when it comes to features and their smart functionality. Pioneer also supports 2tb hdd. But the media playing capability is not so very good. So if watching bluray discs is the priority only then go for pioneer if you are looking for feature rich players then the Samsung i feel totally stands out

Hello
Pioneer BDP 170 is around 11,990 who is my all time favorite dealer who took back my BDO 160 for 7500. I auditioned 450 as I already have 450 with my but 170 is not equally good but it has all super features like Wifi Direct and Quick tray which is something I need very badly. You may consider BDP 170 itself...:yahoo:

I do not know the answers but try this

I bought Pioneer BDP 450 with the hope of a region free one. I got it of region A from a seller (ebay) from chennai at 10K with "6 months seller warranty". I figured out a region free software from a russian fellow. But the player started giving trouble from day one - some discs runs some freeze after a while. I contacted the seller and he promptly asked me to send it to him. I shipped the player at my cost and then the seller dumped his SIM card and changed ebay id. I contacted ebay several times but every time they replied after 6/7 days without much of intention. It lingered for a while and finally I quit out of disgust. I lost 10K+.5K and even consumer forum could not help me much. That day I resolved not to buy anything on "seller warranty" ever.

One of the curse of blu-ray is its region code. In India most of Hollywood BD release are below average, and one has to rely on Amazon US and UK. But life goes on - we buyers keep getting poorer and those blood sucking production houses keep getting richer!

sorry for the diversion

Hello
Pioneer BDP 170 is around 11,990 at AutoNode.in who is my all time favorite dealer who took back my BDO 160 for 7500. I auditioned 450 as I already have 450 with my but 170 is not equally good but it has all super features like Wifi Direct and Quick tray which is something I need very badly. You may consider BDP 170 itself...:yahoo:

Hi, Thanks for the info.
could you please elaborate on "170 is not equally good" - in what way? video/ audio quality?
I'm mainly concerned about Audio and Video quality and 192/24 DAC.
Thanks,
Noble.

Hi just to share my experience on this product......
I brought this player for my uncle who recently upgraded his avr to marantz nr1504 to go along with his old pandam satellites+subwoofer. He was more inclined to bring a pioneer bluray player as he had a good experience with pioneer products for dvd playback.
I accompanied him for the purchase and did all the required comparisons to find the best bluray player. Compared all of the above players and found that is player is well built and offers decent set of features.
Got it for Rs. 10,500 from fairdeal electronics in mumbai :yahoo: with bill and warranty
Got the product, unboxed it and put it up and running. Went ahead with the setup. I then slipped in a bluray and the pq was fantastic. The disc loading time was also quick and faced no issues with it. Next i put in a hd-dvd which had good pq and faced no issues with this as well. Then it was time to check sd dvd(standard). I was shocked at the pq. The upscaler is of a very good quality and did a brilliant job at upscaling dvds. I played an audio cd and the sound was also quite good. It could not quite match the old pioneer dvd players cd playing capability, but in no way was it bad and was just a small notch below the old pioneer dvd player for cd playback.
Now comes the new updated features which pioneer has introduced which used to be found on the other smart players. This pioneer bdp-170 has wifi also which helps in video streaming from youtube. The player comes with two usb ports one at the front and the other at the rear. It can accept hdd upto 2tb. Not sure if it can support more than that. I connected my hdd and watched some movies which i had downloaded over the internet. It has no problems playing content at all. I played everything from basic mp3, flac, mkv with dts-hd ma, dolby true hd and it played it all. One thing which i found out is that this bluray player plays dvd discs from other regions too. I put in a region 2 disc and it read that. Cannot say how did it play. As when i went for an audition with the same disc an lg bluray player refused to play the same disc. Finally its network capability is a big plus and its a dlna certified product. I played some flacs and mp3 over the network and it played all wirelessly. No issues with that as well. Also this player comes with miracast. Used it with my xiaomi redmi 1s and it seemed to work quite well.
Coming to the decoding part.....it can decode most formats like dts-hd....true hd, etc. I set it to bitstream and left decoding to the avr. Would say that using youtube is a pain with the supplied remote. I quickly downloaded the android app and it works like a charm. However i use my tab to send videos straight to to bluray player using the send to tv function of youtube.
This bluray player is a very good one and its very well worth the price paid. The only con for me is that when i play audio cd's the display on the bluray player does not show the track no being played which i feel should have been there. Must say that pioneer has really improved the smart features which they offered previously. Hope this small experience helps.

Hi just to share my experience on this product......
I brought this player for my uncle who recently
Got it for Rs. 10,500 from fairdeal electronics in mumbai :yahoo: with bill and warranty

Hope this small experience helps.

Hi... Thanks for the detailed review of this BDP-170, you got a very good deal.
I bought it last month for around 12k (seems paid more, its ok).

It is indeed a fantastic player and very good experience I had with it, though I could not check all that u told. Blurays quality is awesome, mirroring works fine from my mi3, not much used youtube or networking.

A small help I need that, I noticed that during playing of any downloaded movie from HDD, it is not possible to search to go for a specific time (to play from middle or say to play from 30min or so) unless it has inbuilt chapters. I have to fast-forward until the point i want see from. It doesn't show time line as it shows in my tv (if connect hdd to tv) for the same movie where I can point and press to watch from anywhere. Anybody can pl suggest if i'am missing something here or anyway to outcome.

I was thinking to share my views about this BDP-170, u shared well even morethan what i wanted to say. Thanks again to @rayvonnee for sharing this useful info. :clapping:

Last edited:
does this player while hearing mp3 from USB has ability to move to another folder through remote or does it move automatically from one folder to another folder if all files are played in the primary folder? please confirm as i don't see this option in my lgbp440

to be more clear on what i said above:

With my LG player, there is no option to move from one folder to another folder, without the help of TV display. So wanted to check if pioneer remote have option to move folder to folder with click of one button without aid of TV display, thanks.

Thanks Rayvonnee for the dealer in Mumbai. I was supposed to get the BDP170 from them in a few days but happened to visit Alfas and got the player for Rs.9600/-.:yahoo: Excellent player with superb clarity. Played Life of Pi on my projector and was spell bound at the clarity.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back