Pioneer DV 600/610 - How Tos..?

alladinkachirag

Guys,

Most of the AV websites/tutorial/tips&tricks/Configuration Tips talks about the following: (Taken from Audioholics)
...Enable Bitstream (for DD/DTS) on DVD Player. The channel assignment / decoding will be taken care by AMP/AVR...

Yesterday I was playing with menus in my DV-600 and did not find any configuration parameter which says output DD/DTS as Bitstream. Of course it had "PCM", but the moment I turn on the PCM output my Denon 2308 does not recognize it as Dolby Digital and switches to PLII or Direct mode. Any ideas how to let the AVR do the decoding etc and skip it on AVR. I am using Coax for the audio.

-Ashish

There will be no mention as "Bitstream" as such.
You need to setup as shown below:

1. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > HDMI Out> Off
2. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > Digital Out > On
3. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > Dolby Digital Out > Dolby Digital
4. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > DTS Out > DTS

With these settings AVR will do the decoding.

If you opt for "PCM" settings then Pioneer will decode.

There will be no mention as "Bitstream" as such.
You need to setup as shown below:

1. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > HDMI Out> Off
2. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > Digital Out > On
3. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > Dolby Digital Out > Dolby Digital
4. Home Menu > Initial Settings > Digital Audio out > DTS Out > DTS

With these settings AVR will do the decoding.

If you opt for "PCM" settings then Pioneer will decode.

Hey thanks Reju. I was thinking exactly the opposite. I thought enabling Dolby Digital will be decoded by Pio and sent out over to the five analog outputs. When in PCM, the conversion from DD to PCM will take place and will be sent over to AVR for decoding of audio....

Hey thanks Reju. I was thinking exactly the opposite. I thought enabling Dolby Digital will be decoded by Pio and sent out over to the five analog outputs. When in PCM, the conversion from DD to PCM will take place and will be sent over to AVR for decoding of audio....

While keeping my earlier settings same, you can still get simultaneous output from the 5.1 analogue connection:

Home Menu> Speakers>Audio Output Mode>5.1 Channel

While keeping my earlier settings same, you can still get simultaneous output from the 5.1 analogue connection:

Home Menu> Speakers>Audio Output Mode>5.1 Channel

Yup since Pio has onboard DD decoder.

One more thing: For CD playback I am using the same digital coax out to AVR. Will SQ improve if I use analog out on Pio? Of course it depends upon DAC implementation in Pio 600..(I am assuming DAC implementation of Denon 2308 is better than Pio)...

In the digital audio settings make sure

you have digital out to ON.

If you don't enable PCM then i think the decoding will happen at AVR.

I think you are ending up have Prologic 2 because of this. Here is the extract from manual[dv 610, hope this is same for 600 too]
If youve selected DTS > PCM in DTS Out on page 38 or 2 Channel in Audio Output Mode on page 44, you can choose the way the signal is downmixed to PCM audio. STEREO will downmix the DTS signal to 2-channel stereo, whereas Lt/Rt will downmix to a 2-channel signal compatible with Dolby surround matrix
decoders. (This allows you to hear surround sound if your AV receiver or amplifier has Dolby Pro Logic capability.)

Thanks,
Prakash.

Yup since Pio has onboard DD decoder.

One more thing: For CD playback I am using the same digital coax out to AVR. Will SQ improve if I use analog out on Pio? Of course it depends upon DAC implementation in Pio 600..(I am assuming DAC implementation of Denon 2308 is better than Pio)...

You can try and experiment on this. I found that Pio decoding (burr brown) was slightly better than my Onkyo AVR. So I use analogue.

But since your AVR is high end, most probably your assumption should be right?

I'll try and will post my experience...btw I don't know when I'll be able to try this..coz the moment my wife sees me sitting near AV Rack playing with cables etc she just screams on me!!!

I found that Pio (DV 610?) decoding (burr brown) was slightly better than my Onkyo AVR. So I use analogue.

This is an interesting point, do we have any comparisons done? any stuff on the internet?

What is the general opinion on Pio DV 610 DD/DTS/PCM DAC versus, say an Onkyo 504 DAC? Is the DAC in Pio the same for DD/DTS and PCM?

Did anyone experience this: I have some CD-R's with MP3 burned on them. I am trying to play MP3 tracks on my DV-600 and the player is unable to play some (should I say most) of the files cannot be played. Whereas when I play the same MP3's on my older DV-676 it plays without any issues!!!

On Saturday I took the DVDP (DV-600) to Pro-Audiotronics shop in Gem Plaza, Bangalore. They are the distributors for Pioneer. There the guys did an A-B (I should actually say A-B -C-D-E) on DV-600 with: DV-610, 400, 410, and the newer 210.

None of these players can play the files. I also took the older DVDP with me and showed them that there is no probs with the MP3's. All MP3's are 320Kbps (some of them are VBR, but good quality ones). So in the end they just took 2 of the songs: One which was playable and other which could not be played and told me that they will send the files for further analysis and will inform me about the results.

Did anybody experience this? Any possible workarounds?

Cheers,
Ashish

I am also facing such issues with some mp3 files which my 610 cannot play. Since these files are downloaded ones, I didn't think too much about it and went to the next track. But it would be good if someone can find the real reason. I think converting the tracks using DBPoweramp or some other encoder might help. Haven't tried it though.

Did anyone experience this: I have some CD-R's with MP3 burned on them. I am trying to play MP3 tracks on my DV-600 and the player is unable to play some (should I say most) of the files cannot be played. Whereas when I play the same MP3's on my older DV-676 it plays without any issues!!!

On Saturday I took the DVDP (DV-600) to Pro-Audiotronics shop in Gem Plaza, Bangalore. They are the distributors for Pioneer. There the guys did an A-B (I should actually say A-B -C-D-E) on DV-600 with: DV-610, 400, 410, and the newer 210.

None of these players can play the files. I also took the older DVDP with me and showed them that there is no probs with the MP3's. All MP3's are 320Kbps (some of them are VBR, but good quality ones). So in the end they just took 2 of the songs: One which was playable and other which could not be played and told me that they will send the files for further analysis and will inform me about the results.

Did anybody experience this? Any possible workarounds?

Cheers,
Ashish

I don't really think that conversion will help. Also because the same files are playable on one older pioneer machine. But the newer ones cannot!!!. Probably on the newer ones Pioneer has concentrated more on the video circuitry..The only things I can guess might be the issue with all newer MediaTek chipsets or the Firmware itself.

I guess the other option, although a bit tedious, will be to convert the mp3 to Audio CD using NERO and then play. But not worth the effort really, if you can obtain the track from some other source..

I guess the other option, although a bit tedious, will be to convert the mp3 to Audio CD using NERO and then play. But not worth the effort really, if you can obtain the track from some other source..
Did you try playing the same MP3 using USB connection? I am thinking of trying that...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back