Pioneer pl-12r turntable

musiklava79

PIONEER PL-12R TURNTABLE

I was looking for a stand-alone TT for playing some of my older LPs/EPs so as to preserve the stylus of my main TT. So when I spotted Mr.Shafic's Thread offering his TT for sale, I just jumped at the opportunity! Here was a player with an AC synchronous motor, not expensive but usable! I have a Direct Drive, Belt Drive Philips 242 which went out of action after I accidentally broke the plastic tonearm headshell, a Fiesta AC motor drive idler record player and an assortment of Philips players which are kept aside for cannibalising parts. The Fiesta is in pristine condition and I intend to preserve it that way so I hardly use it.

Anyway, the TT finally arrived yesterday but I unpacked it only today. Mr.Shafic's packing is legendary in the forum so I need not elaborate any more. There was only a minor mishap - the plastic toggle lever of the speed switch snapped. This is a minor matter considering that the package was shipped for a journey that is nearly 4000 km.s!! :)

My first impressions - This is an old Player, about 40 years so one must realistically accept everything warts and all. The motor spun normally and there was no audible noise or hum. The motor speed read 1500 RPM or so by contact tachometer. The belt appeared to have received a splice job or perhaps another belt was adapted to this player. I was prepared for this and had already placed an order for a new replacement belt earlier. Turntable platter speed is 31.5 RPM or so but that can be expected because of the belt. I did not test for 45 RPM accuracy. Also, the motor, spindle bearing requires a thorough cleaning and lubrication. There is no spindle play or bearing noise. As Mr. Shafic had already declared that the stylus needs replacement, I waited until the TT arrived so that I could ID the correct replacement stylus. The tonearm needs a bit maintainance care also. Damping in the tonearm lift appears to be alright.
I have not looked under the hood, but will do so at a later date. The TT base-plate needs proper anchoring but that can be looked into afterwards. I have no intentions to use this player immediately but will only do so after all visible warts are removed!

Overall the TT appears to be in reasonable shape, nothing that a bit of TLC can't restore! Cosmetically the entire machine needs some cleaning and polishing, the Dust cover and tonearm needing some buffing, but that's what Dremels are there for! :eek:hyeah:

looks in terrific nick. the speed selector is an easy fix.

Usually when TTs are shipping, one would have to do a little bit of tweaking on it to get it to sing (unless it is new and packed properly). That's always the fun part. The great thing about TTs are that we must become very familiar with them in order to enjoy them completely. A plug and play approach is not the order of the day. Lovely TT, I must say. Cant wait to hear your impressions after hearing it sing :)

FM shafic is the "man" for TTs. Great going!!

looks in terrific nick. the speed selector is an easy fix.

Usually when TTs are shipping, one would have to do a little bit of tweaking on it to get it to sing (unless it is new and packed properly). That's always the fun part. The great thing about TTs are that we must become very familiar with them in order to enjoy them completely. A plug and play approach is not the order of the day. Lovely TT, I must say. Cant wait to hear your impressions after hearing it sing :)

FM shafic is the "man" for TTs. Great going!!

Hi, thanks for your comments! Coming from you its priceless. I agree, its always fun doing up these old machines and most of the satisfaction in listening to music is when you can tweak them to your liking! I'll be taking my own time doing up this new acquisition and a complete review will follow in due course.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back