Pioneer spkrs HPM-100 : Restoration

Radni14

I have been using in my home system( in my second home in my native ) Pioneer HPM-100 speakers which now need major restoration due to edge. I am not really a DIY er myself , but would like to seek help from someone who can do it for me professionally . The spkrs sounded very good over it's use , but off late one of them is cracking , etc. The pair is more than 25 hrs old now , and I thought only way to keep them going is by major restoration or replacement in drivers and change of crossover parts, and other items. The solid wood cabinet , front cloth etc are unblemished.
I would appreciate help and any views from members on this project . I am not sure if this project is worth attempting , but considering some sentimental value and cost not an object here, pl give me your views.
Thanks.

These Pioneer units are excellent quality. They were designed by Bart Locanthi and his crew of ex-JBL engineers. Similarities to JBL L-100 speakers are obvious, and they are certainly worth keeping. Over the years of production, the cross-over changed from type A to B to C. The C was the best, and you should check if you have the C version, or obtain a set.

Below is a reconing shop in India, but be aware the woofer is a non-standard size and you should have a service company that has done that style before.

I would check with Pioneer in Japan to see who they suggest for repair. They might even have parts for repair. I find them to be a very service oriented company.

If anyone is Los Angeles is reading, Speaker City in Burbank repairs a lot of drivers for studios and rockers alike.

Speaker Reconing - Home

Last edited:
Thanks for info. I talked to The repair shop mentioned by you in thane , Mumbai . But they just kept saying I can send them spkrs and they will change the coil , which they wind themselves , and make the spkrs in working condition and give back to me. They did not like the idea of importing coil , capacitors , or change drivers as needed. They had no further interest .
I will now contact Pioneer , Japan to see what assistance and reco they can offer .
I am thinking to find some local audio shop who may have technician on hand and try to pursue this restoration project locally .
Is their a source from where I can purchase new replacement crossover and coil for HPM-100 ? I would go for it if there is one available.

Hi,

The HPM 100's are very good speakers and as Moviela has mentioned they are were designed by ex JBL engineers.

but off late one of them is cracking

Is the cone cracking or is the sound cracking?

Cracking sound could be aging parts in the crossover.I would also suspect the mid/tweeter level adjustment potentiometers.

If the cones /surround is cracking it will be helpful if you can post pictures of the damaged speakers.Members can see the type of damage and suggest repair ideas.

If only the surround is cracked there will be no need to change the entire cone/coil/spider .

Reconing with generic/local parts will change the sound/specs of the speaker.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,
It is only sound that is cracking. I removed the clothe grill and looked carefully at all the drivers , they seem to be fine with following observations:
1) woofers were ok , no sign of any dryness, cracks on paper , no punctures,
With soft push they show flexibility, at the rim they were able to move like new speakers. ONLY at the centre the fabric dome is pushed in and shape is not complete hemisphere like ball, but that has been like that ever since I got them from previous owner.
2) all other three drivers are seen like new , no sign of any physical damage
3) the adjustment potentiometers when moved , there is cracking sound .
4) the port has solid silver rim on its periphery : could it mean it has cross over type C ?
5) I wish I could post pictures of all drivers , but I just returned this afternoon from my native home . Will take pictures on my next trip and post them .
I am thinking to have spkrs examined for it's crossover parts and get them replaced with upgrades in quality , value remaining same .
But I am still waiting for more feedback from members to decide how to go about it.

Hi,

Radni14, from your post it looks like there is nothing wrong with the drivers.

the adjustment potentiometers when moved , there is cracking sound .

The problem appears to be with the crossover .

ONLY at the centre the fabric dome is pushed in and shape is not complete hemisphere like ball, but that has been like that ever since I got them from previous owner.

This should not cause any sonic problems.There are several posts on how to fix pushed in dust caps on the net. I would leave it alone.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/140631-help-needed-how-do-i-fix-pushed-dust-cap-2.html

There are several restoration posts on the HPM 100's on the net.Check out AudioKarma.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Yes , I found out that it is free. On my attempt to register , they had put a hold for a day . There was an option for paid subscription also , so I asked .

Last edited:
Any suggestions for internal wires for replacement on my Pioneer HPM-100 speakers? I am looking for good quality OFC wires suitable for internal wiring .

Hi,

Radni14, from your post it looks like there is nothing wrong with the drivers.

The problem appears to be with the crossover .

This should not cause any sonic problems.There are several posts on how to fix pushed in dust caps on the net. I would

leave it alone.

Help needed: How do I fix a "pushed in" dust cap? - Page 2 - diyAudio

Rajiv,
You were right . I found out there was /is nothing wrong with any of the drivers . I only replaced the caps , resistors
and also while i was at it changed binding post and internal wires which looked very flimsy or ordinary.
I left the dust caps as is as you had suggested.
Now with reconditioned speakers I found sound not at all cracking , and they run very fine. The sound in first two hours is little dull bass and slow In Dynamics , but I suppose that can change with 25-50 hours of break in.
I am happy with the restoration and my spkrs are good for many years of service which otherwise I was almost going to
throw away.
I find these spkrs to work well ( sounds so sweet and without fatigue !) with my tube preamplifier and tube amp.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi! I have Pioneer Hpm-100s. Both the mids are off. The ribbon super tweeters are off :-( I tried connecting them at a very low volume directly, but no sound. Can anybody help me? Need to know where I can get them repaired from in Mumbai. Will be of great help..

Hi! I have Pioneer Hpm-100s. Both the mids are off. The ribbon super tweeters are off :-( I tried connecting them at a very low volume directly, but no sound. Can anybody help me? Need to know where I can get them repaired from in Mumbai. Will be of great help..

Hi Bobby
I think we know each other

BTW I am planng to go to foll place - no I never dealt with them

Singh Corner, Vile Parle West
Mr Kawaljit Singh
022 - 26710115, 65078062
9892123750, 9987200364
[email protected], [email protected]
238 A, Sardar Niwas, Irla Lane, Near Irla Petrol Pump, Near Alfa, Vile Parle West, Mumbai, - 400056

it is near alpha - from signal when you are facing borivali alpha is left , this shop is in right side gully.

again heard some good thigs. Seems run by the famous sikh genlemans son , who was famous for assembling speakers ..

if you go there plsae share your experience!!

Thanx Hemant! I just figured out that the super tweeters have a very very low output, can hardly hear them. I guess it's because their cut-off is 12k. So the tweeters should be ok. The other owners of Pioneer HPM series also share the same experience. Hence I don't think mine would be an exception.

I can't understand why the mids are off. They look fine, but no sound. The biggest joke was when I got these speakers home and played them, I did not figure out they were off, but I only noticed there was a slight dip in the mid frequency, and it still sounded fair. Will have to get them fixed. They should be fine if done by an expert.

The sardar guy is good, there is one more guy at bandra west and at kemp's corner.
Let me share their numbers: Sabbir (Kemp's Corner) Tel. No. 23867060
Zakir (Bandra West) Tel. No. 226421988

I have been a few times to Singh's corner before for my professional installs. They are good with speaker boxes. I dunno whether they will repair home speakers. Most recone guys only do 8 inches and more, I mean the guys I deal with for my pro stuff. But I'll surely contact Mr.Singh as they are closest to my house :)

Will surely share my experience as soon as I get them done.

Thanx for your reply Hemant.

Bobby how is Sabbir & Zakir for ovearall repair?
I need someone who knows what he is doin & do not use my speakers for learning!

Back