Pioneer VS1020K receiver recognizes desktop but not laptop

arnprasad

Hi. I had an old desktop (i5 4th gen win10) connected to my AVR which is connected to my micromax TV. Because my desktop had an OS issue, I connected the same HDMI to my brand new laptop. However I dont see the laptop mirrored on my TV and I can see its constantly refreshing on my laptop screen. when i right click on my desktop - I can see both Nvidia (1050) and Intel display drivers. Is there an issue with both Nvidia and Intel disagreeing on something? Do I need to change any settings?

why is it that a 5 year old desktop has no issues and my brand new Dell Inspiron 5000 has issues? I tested all display settings I could think of but nothing much changes. Please help me out as I am unable to utilize the 5.1 sound on my AVR (if I connect my laptop directly to my TV - it works well and hence no issues with either the HDMI port or the cable)

What OS are you using? Does the Nvidia control panel shows the AVR connected?is mirroring on in that panel?

why is it that a 5 year old desktop has no issues and my brand new Dell Inspiron 5000 has issues? I tested all display settings I could think of but nothing much changes. Please help me out as I am unable to utilize the 5.1 sound on my AVR (if I connect my laptop directly to my TV - it works well and hence no issues with either the HDMI port or the cable)

Oh another Inspiron. I have this issue too with one of the Dell Inspirons at home. It just refuses to connect no matter what. I have other Dell and HP laptops which have no issues connecting to the receiver.

Few things that come to my mind
1. Do you see two displays in the computer's display settings?
2. When you hit the Fn+Projector key, does the laptop recognize an external display?
3. Which graphics card do you have in the laptop? Some forums mentioned that the graphics card in Inspiron series are set for Monitors and not Receivers/TVs. My Dell Studio series with an ATI graphics card, has no issues connecting to the receiver.

MaSh

Few things that come to my mind
1. Do you see two displays in the computer's display settings?
2. When you hit the Fn+Projector key, does the laptop recognize an external display?

yes these are the things to try.

also you can try by powering off the laptop, then connect the hdmi cable power on the avr and then power on the laptop,

a variation of this is to close the lid as soon as the boot sequence starts on the laptop , this will let the laptop switch to the native resolutions supported by the device connected.

If you have windows 10 use the "project to screen" in the settings menu, and try the various options as well.

Tried all of the above..nothing worked. Also if I have nvidia 1050...on desktop right click why do I see Intel graphics setting also.? under Intel display I see my receiver..coming on and off every 5 secs..comes..disappears..cycle continues..but nothing comes on display.

also on nvidia control panel..the big right hand side window is blank...left hand side only see 3D settings..nothing else

the other thing that i can think of is " does you laptop support HDMi 2.0 and 4 k support ?" i have a feeling that that could be the problem as the receiver does not support 4 k pass through. may be try playing a movie see see if sound come through the receivers speakers that are connected to it.

Hi..I have been trying to snag the Mi TV4 and have been spending a lot of time trying to get a 4K receiver from the US. If the only use of a 4K receiver is to send 4K signals to my TV - the following should work and there is no need for a new receiver right? This will save me a ton of money

(a) Using my laptop i directly send the signal to my mi TV4 - both 4K and lower resolution content. This should by pass lack of 4k Passthrough on my old receiver
(b) Using ARC, I take the audio from my TV to my receiver and it should work?

If so, what are the other advantages of getting a 4K receiver if my existing one is working alright? I dont care about Atmos and other such things.

Also my desktop which has a 4th gen i5 should play 4K videos..no need to drag my laptop everytime. This way I upgrade to 4K for free if I exclude cost of the miTV

(a) Using my laptop i directly send the signal to my mi TV4 - both 4K and lower resolution content. This should by pass lack of 4k Passthrough on my old receiver
(b) Using ARC, I take the audio from my TV to my receiver and it should work?

ARC function is limited to lossy 5.1.. So even if you were to play a movie with DTS-HDMA, directly connected to the TV, with HDMI ARC port on your TV, you should DTS lossy 5.1 back to AVR..

Thanks. I just need 5 discrete channels of sound as intended by the film maker. I can live with lossy as long as its splitting correctly. I went through some youtube videos of ARC. So just to reconfirm. One HDMI cable runs from my computer directly to say HDMI 1 port of the TV. Then I take another HDMI cable from ARC HDMI port of TV and into my receiver...correct? didnt see this configuration in the couple of youtube videos i saw. Thx

One way to get it is by using an HDMI splitter. send one signal to the AVR and other to the TV. 0Volume on the TV when not needed.and if you feel you dont need the AVR to watch news and stuff, just use the TV's volume.

I would go with what @tuff has suggested. Connect all your sources to your receiver and a single output to your TV. This way when the receiver is On, it takes care of the Audio from the source and sends the Video to the TV and when its Off, with Pass-through enabled, Audio along with Video is passed on to the TV. Try it out and go with what sounds better and feels more convenient

MaSh

A few points to note.

On your desktop, the i5 cpu and chipset handled the audio and video department, unless you had a dedicated graphics card to do this as well.

On your laptop, it is a bit of both. The Intel cpu must have on board video or graphics handling capabilities and you also have a dedicated video card from nVidia to take up more complex graphic tasks like gaming that the Intel cpu cannot support. You cannot use both the video cards or software drivers. It can only be one of them at a time. What must be happening is some form of auto switching taking place between the onboard Intel graphics and nVidia, and the software drivers clashing when it senses an hdmi cable is plugged in. I would start by uninstalling the Dell provided Intel Graphics and Nvidia drivers and update them to the latest directly from Intel and Nvidia for your specific Chipset model.

There must also be some kind of software switch that tells the system to switch to Onboard Graphics or Dedicated nVidia graphics when a hdmi cable is plugged in. Check for this in Graphics Properties.

Thanks. I just need 5 discrete channels of sound as intended by the film maker. I can live with lossy as long as its splitting correctly. I went through some youtube videos of ARC. So just to reconfirm. One HDMI cable runs from my computer directly to say HDMI 1 port of the TV. Then I take another HDMI cable from ARC HDMI port of TV and into my receiver...correct? didnt see this configuration in the couple of youtube videos i saw. Thx

Yes.. Your understanding is correct.. HDMI ARC out from your TV will go to HDMI ARC output of AVR..

By any chance does your laptop has DVI port? If it has, you can use a DVI -> HDMI cable / adaptor and connect to TV.. And use the HDMI port on laptop to AVR.. This way you get lossless audio.. DVI is the same as HDMI minus audio..

Seems it doesnt. Below is a copy paste

1 HDMITM 1.4a
3 USB 3.0 including 1 with PowerShare
1 2-in-1 SD (UHS50) / MMC
1 RJ-45
1 Kensington Lock
1 Headphone/Mic

Hi..I finally got my TV. My receiver has SPDIF In....but on TV it doesnt say IN or OUT. so I connected my TV to receiver by Toslink but what input on my receiver should I change it to? My kid tried every input on receiver but I did not get any sound on my speakers when a video was played on TV. I tried googling and Youtube...they dont explain at this level of detail.

I am just trying to avoid buying another receiver just to play 4K from my laptop to my TV. Even otherwise, when I play a video directly on my TV using Youtube or Netflix - how would I take the audio out from TV to receiver? One way is the ARC route but my 1020 doesnt have ARC. Otherway is using Toslink right? what wrong am I doing then?

Okay, I am assuming your Video is going to the TV directly and then you are pulling the Optical from TV to go to your Receiver? Have you read Page 40 of your receiver manual (attached)? I think its talking about how you can setup your Inputs. Its not how its in my Marantz, however, what I could understand is, that for each Input, you need to assign the HDMI Input or the Digital Input port number.

MaSh

Pioneer.jpg

HI Many thanks. I download the manual and searched and got it. This actually saved me the cost of buying a new receiver. I think given my receiver is 8 years old it may not have the latest audio formats but thats ok..as long as DD digital and DTS works, good enough. I aint no audio purist.

One more question...normally how would one know what resolution is the TV Playing on? first time when i directly connected my laptop..on top right it displayed 3840X2040. But say if I am playing from some other input...randomly i want to press a button on my TV remote and it should display the current resolution..normally how does one go about?

Many thanks again and it also proved i was too lazy to download and read the manual myself...bad!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back