Pioneer VSX-522 and MS Aviano 6 - any good?

0verkilled

Hello everyone,
I thank HiFiVision and all the members for sharing their knowledge
I was a frequent visitor to this forum, finally I am a member now!

I have recently bought Pioneer VSX-522 and a pair of MS Aviano 6

Avianos look very elegant and also sound good
VSX-822 has same power ratings/internals as 522, the only difference is wireless connectivity. I had already crossed my budget buying these two, hence I did not think about VSX-822.

While auditioning he played a track from his CD-Player, connected to the AVR. It sounded great, I had never heard anything like that before.

Now, I don't have a CD-Player and I don't have any CDs. Even if I decide to buy one, it would not be until next year. And, even if I buy one, what do I do for CDs. I have never seen CDs of music that I listen to, so this is another story.
The reason I bring this is, I'm currently using this to play mp3s from pen-drive, and it doesn't sound that good. I have connected TV and people at home listen to FM from this system.

Is there any way that I can improve the sound quality? or the combo itself is wrong?
I have removed the aluminium plate that is between HF and LF terminals on the speakers and have connected Front output from AVR to HF on speakers.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot.

Hello everyone,
I thank HiFiVision and all the members for sharing their knowledge
I was a frequent visitor to this forum, finally I am a member now!

I have recently bought Pioneer VSX-522 and a pair of MS Aviano 6

Avianos look very elegant and also sound good
VSX-822 has same power ratings/internals as 522, the only difference is wireless connectivity. I had already crossed my budget buying these two, hence I did not think about VSX-822.

While auditioning he played a track from his CD-Player, connected to the AVR. It sounded great, I had never heard anything like that before.

Now, I don't have a CD-Player and I don't have any CDs. Even if I decide to buy one, it would not be until next year. And, even if I buy one, what do I do for CDs. I have never seen CDs of music that I listen to, so this is another story.
The reason I bring this is, I'm currently using this to play mp3s from pen-drive, and it doesn't sound that good. I have connected TV and people at home listen to FM from this system.

Is there any way that I can improve the sound quality? or the combo itself is wrong?
I have removed the aluminium plate that is between HF and LF terminals on the speakers and have connected Front output from AVR to HF on speakers.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot.

Looks like you did a mistake of removing the plates from the speakers... You have not biamped (HF seperate & LF seperate connection)...So with the current connection this way, only the tweeter is powered in your speaker... Once you put the plates & make he normal connection, it should sound better than before...

If you can't afford a CD player, you cab easily get a DVD player for 1.5K.. You can use a digital connection to AVR until you get a new/used CD player....

You can't buy 100 of CD @ a time...Start collecting as & when find what you like... Over a period of months/years, it becomes a collection of CD's...

You could also take the route of @theironhorse suggested....

Looks like you did a mistake of removing the plates from the speakers... You have not biamped (HF seperate & LF seperate connection)...So with the current connection this way, only the tweeter is powered in your speaker... Once you put the plates & make he normal connection, it should sound better than before...

Yup, Elangoas is right, as of now only HF(High Frequencies aka Tweeters) are playing, hence you are not enjoying the sound. Put the plate back and it should sound a whole lot better.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I will put the plates back on tomorrow.

@elangoas, do you think think playing a CD from a cheap DVD player will be better than mp3s? I will try to get a DVD from someone and do the testing, maybe this weekend.

Regarding FLAC, this AVR does not support it. Can I deceive the AVR by changing extension? I will give it a try
Also, I was under an impression that AVRs play video files too, I tried to play an mp4 file, only audio came out. Is it same with all AVRs, or its only with Pioneer. Thanks.

@elangoas, do you think think playing a CD from a cheap DVD player will be better than mp3s? I will try to get a DVD from someone and do the testing, maybe this weekend.

Regarding FLAC, this AVR does not support it. Can I deceive the AVR by changing extension? I will give it a try
Also, I was under an impression that AVRs play video files too, I tried to play an mp4 file, only audio came out. Is it same with all AVRs, or its only with Pioneer. Thanks.

Yes.. Playing a CD from a DVD player is much better than the MP3.. Use the Digital connection (Either Optical or Co-axial to AVR)...

Nope you can't deceive the AVR by changing extension & it is not that simple as you think :eek:hyeah:.. Too smart buddy... 100% sure it wont play...

The front panel USB in most AVR is for Iphone/Ipod connection only.. Majority of the AVR support playback of MP3, only some support playback of FLAC & WAV files from USB

Check data sheet, manual of your AVR to get more clarity...

hmm thought so..
This is a very expensive hobby, I have just started and already chocking. I started with Edifer C3 in mind! hoping there would be no more surprises.

If I buy a DVD player, I will make sure it supports all the formats.

hmm thought so..
This is a very expensive hobby, I have just started and already chocking. I started with Edifer C3 in mind! hoping there would be no more surprises.

If I buy a DVD player, I will make sure it supports all the formats.

Hmm.. a DVD player will support only MP3 format... You can laos consider a Media player like WD TV Live, ASUS o Play Mini & few others for roughly around 5 - 7K if you have n external HD...

This will almost all the media types on the planet...:eek:hyeah: Best bang for money, if you dont want to invest in DVD/CD player and if you wish to start collecting the files in FLAC & WAV...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back