Pk550 vs C550

PK550 vs C550

• PK550

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • C550

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

Bublu Bhuyan

Would like to know which one gets your approval. I'm so confused which one to go for out of these two. Vote for the one that gets your nod out of these two.

Last edited:
Poll is not the right way to get away with your confusion in IMHO.
List down +ve and -ve aspects of each and grab one :)
The TV I like may not be good for u. So you will end up buying what others want :)

If possible get a home demo of both.

Good thing is there is enough owners for both and there is owner's thread. So you can query them if u need any info.

Last edited:
I was in the same dilemma and believe me the more you compare the more it confuses you. If you read forum feedbacks both have their own list of problems and positives also. The V20 is no different. Its impossible to find all that the good things we want in a single TV.
Best is check both the models with your own eyes and decide. Pick 2 or 3 criteria which are most important for you and whichever TV has that wins.

By the way did you decide on one?
Just in case if the Green dancing pixel issue in LG was bothering you, it seems to be resolved in the July batch. A new firmware is supposed to be available for old batch.

By the way did you decide on one?
Just in case if the Green dancing pixel issue in LG was bothering you, it seems to be resolved in the July batch. A new firmware is supposed to be available for old batch.

I already bought the Samsung 50C550 about couple weeks back. I am a happy owner :)

I was actually curious about the decision of the thread owner aka Bublu :)

@hubball
Are you not getting the issues Sanjay and Plusly are getting?
If not guess its a faulty panel that was the culprit.

I was actually curious about the decision of the thread owner aka Bublu :)

@hubball
Are you not getting the issues Sanjay and Plusly are getting?
If not guess its a faulty panel that was the culprit.

I have been watching HD movies and not noticed any banding. I hardly watch any SD content but whatever I have seen I dint see any.

Sanjay OR Plusly, Does it show up with time and usage? Can you post some images where you see significant banding? I can try playing the same clipping and see if it shows up.

I have attached some images to show the posterization. They are from TV so a bit blurry, but you can see the effect on the right of the faces. Look also at the green and purple arc on the still background in one of the scenes. The first images are a broadcast SD movie, but the effect with SD dvds is similar. Even 1080i broacast cartoons have this effect.

Attachments

• current pics 009.jpg
    current pics 009.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 231
  • current pics 008.jpg
    current pics 008.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 229
  • current pics 007.jpg
    current pics 007.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 230
  • current pics 006.jpg
    current pics 006.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 225
  • current pics 005.jpg
    current pics 005.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
The second photo is a macro closeup of a well lit 720P studio signal. Toning remains good into the shadow on "standard" mode, but on "movie mode" you can see the shadow transition goes 'wrong' with the green/ brown.

On the 3rd photo the toning in the light looks even, but notice the posterization on the skin under the shadow of the hair (just above the ear) - a bar of green into purplish brown.

Attachments

• current pics 004.jpg
    current pics 004.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 224
  • current pics 003.jpg
    current pics 003.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 227
  • current pics 002.jpg
    current pics 002.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
As already mentioned, the banding is unique to "movie" mode, which suggests to me a software / processing issue.

Hi plushly,

Its me from lowyat forum. This is exactly the same issue i am facing on my C550, judging from the pictures you have shown. Mine has a lesser problem with high quality HD ..more on SD content and low quality upscaled HD ...

It seems like Malaysian panels are screwed up as well...movie mode wise..

Hoping that its really a software issue...and Samsung to see this issue and gives us a firmware FIX.

Another thing Plushly..have u talk to the Samsung tech or anything on this??

I had a look at the service menu white balance settings. Accidently reset them (I recommend noting the settings first).

However, the result is that with the white balance settings via the tv menu I can just about remove most of the green banding experienced. Low quality sources still suffer a little bit, but even then it is not nearly as obtrusive. With TV I previously saw the effect with all channels to some extent, now for 80% of content it is pretty much gone. To me this proves it is a software issue (most likely) or the TV is calibrated poorly in the service menu (which would imply a quality control issue). Because the base white balance has changed, it means it will also affect the other picture modes, but I'm not worried as I prefer to use movie mode as a base for calibration. I think that unless the movie mode program is improved, there will always be some limitation one way or another.

Calibration variance from screen to screen may explain why some people have it bad and others don't see it.

I was seriously considering to buy LG 50PK550 until I saw two other models - LG's 50PJ350 and sammy 50C450. Both are HD ready as opposed to PK550 that is full HD. The colors on PK550 seemed a bit washed out to me during a side by side comparison with other two models. I tried to change the default picture settings on the PK550 - moved from 'vivid' to 'cinema', played with brightness/contrast/sharpness. But, I was not able to make the PQ look equal/better than other two models. I did this comparison at two different stores - croma, jayanagar and ezone, koramangala (both in b'lore) to make sure that I do not make a -ve opinion on PK550 just by one demo.

Another striking difference between PK550 and C450 was the ease with which the sammy one handled different video formats straight out from a usb drive. I had carried 3 formats - mp4, avi(xvid) and mkv(H.264 encoded). The LG babies (PK550 and PJ350) could not play any of them and sammy played all of them! I was surprised and got immediately biased towards the sammy one.

So the things that turned me away from PK550 were:
1. Inferior (in my opinion) PQ and,
2. Lack of ability to play multiple video formats.

Things that are good in PK550:
1. Design. I love its thin bezel design. Not even Sony or Panny can match PK550 in 'looks' department.
2. PQ is not worst. Its still better than some other Plasmas. It was better than a panny 50" (I dont remember the model name).
3. Price. Its the cheapest full HD 50" plasma in market today from a tier 1 manufacturer.

I know that you are interested in C550 and not C450. I couldn't get a demo as there was no display of C550 in both stores I went. Go out and check, I am sure the C550 would have all the 'goods' that its predecessor has. Besides, I was told that the C550 has a ethernet port built in, this too is a big plus for me.

Everything above is just my personal opinion. You should yourself go to the stores and check what pleases your eyes.

Another opinion: Croma and 'The electronics store' chains offer extended warranty for 2 extra years for Rs 6000/-. I feel its totally worth its value. 1 year warranty is too less for costly products like these.

Another opinion: Croma and 'The electronics store' chains offer extended warranty for 2 extra years for Rs 6000/-. I feel its totally worth its value. 1 year warranty is too less for costly products like these.

Is this extended warranty only for Samsung 550? Do they offer warranty on TV's purchased from other stores?

Is this extended warranty only for Samsung 550? Do they offer warranty on TV's purchased from other stores?

The 'extended warranty' scheme is from the store and not the manufacturer. The info I got from the stores is that it is for all brands. I did not ask about providing warranty on TV's bought in other stores (I doubt they will do it).

Hi plushly,

Its me from lowyat forum. This is exactly the same issue i am facing on my C550, judging from the pictures you have shown. Mine has a lesser problem with high quality HD ..more on SD content and low quality upscaled HD ...

It seems like Malaysian panels are screwed up as well...movie mode wise..

Hoping that its really a software issue...and Samsung to see this issue and gives us a firmware FIX.

Another thing Plushly..have u talk to the Samsung tech or anything on this??

!!UPDATE ON POSTERISATION IN MOVIE MODE:

Finally got an exchange panel from my supplier.

Since I waited for nearly 3 months for an exchange, I think I can qualify the issues I was having compared to the new panel.

The new panel has absolutely NO posterisation issues from any source. While only having the panel 1 day, not enough time to confirm that it won't recur, it is enough to confirm that the issue is a GENUINE FAULT and if affected I urge you to seek and exchange from either the supplier or Samsung.

The original reason for the exchange, the loud buzzing, also seems to be rectified. The buzzing is there if you mute, but cannot be heard over normal volume. As long as the buzzing doesn't get louder over time, I can live with it.

The color balance seems to be better out of the box as well on the default modes. Perhaps there has been a revision to this model (could explain why there was a 3 month wait for the TV in Australia, also the startup menu seems slightly different from memory), but whatever the reason - I am happy I persevered with this model rather than taking second choice at this stage.

For those that have been annoyed by the reported floating black issue (I was), once the TV is run in and the DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION is set to AUTO (I worked it out after re-reading the manual), I found the flickering rarely occurs or is noticable enough to annoy.

I will update if any of the issues recur over time.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back