Planning to buy OLED. Need suggestions: LG or Panasonic

Yeah. I was going through the OLED thread here on HFV. The tatasky logo is my only concern. The more because half the logo is in red! :(

Just a matter of time. It's going to burn-in with your usage. Just that it'll happen 2-3 years down the line at least.

Where are you placing this TV? How about getting a 65 inch LCD for living room with tatasky and all, and then 55 inch one in bedroom for movie streaming?

Just a matter of time. It's going to burn-in with your usage. Just that it'll happen 2-3 years down the line at least.

Where are you placing this TV? How about getting a 65 inch LCD for living room with tatasky and all, and then 55 inch one in bedroom for movie streaming?

Planning to buy it during the diwali sale (hoping for some price drop). Currently I have a 32" Sony LCD which is giving me a service as good as new when purchased 11 years back. Planning to this this TV off and shift my current 50" 4K LED TV to bedroom and put the OLED in living room. Don't want to go the LCD way again, if possible.

Planning to buy it during the diwali sale (hoping for some price drop). Currently I have a 32" Sony LCD which is giving me a service as good as new when purchased 11 years back. Planning to this this TV off and shift my current 50" 4K LED TV to bedroom and put the OLED in living room. Don't want to go the LCD way again, if possible.

OLEDs would be great for streaming content and watching movies, especially in a dark ro at night. Except for burn-in, they are pretty good. Motion was a weakness, but the three major companies have good motion processing now. Is your living room really bright during the day? Also, make sure no direct sunlight hits the TV. It'll wear the OLED pixels.

Actually LCD is not a bad choice for a living room.specially if its bright.You can check something like sonyX95G.I personally find it better than LG C9 and SONY A8G.when i checked in bright showroom playing history channel on tatasky.

OLEDs will really shine when you are watching 4K and HDR as mention by MaraKK in previous post. Personally I am Planning to buy LG C9.This is just a suggestion according to your usage requirement.

OLEDs would be great for streaming content and watching movies, especially in a dark ro at night. Except for burn-in, they are pretty good. Motion was a weakness, but the three major companies have good motion processing now. Is your living room really bright during the day? Also, make sure no direct sunlight hits the TV. It'll wear the OLED pixels.

I would say not too bright, not too dark. Sufficient light for the whole day to go without any artificial lights to put on. There is also no direct sunlight coming in from anywhere.

I would say not too bright, not too dark. Sufficient light for the whole day to go without any artificial lights to put on. There is also no direct sunlight coming in from anywhere.
If you have the budget, stick to the C9, you will have the satisfaction of owning the best rated TV today.

Ah! Then you can get the OLED, as you wouldn't have to run it at maximum brightness. That'll help in prolonging burn-in free life of the panel even more.

Until and unless there's more proof apart from hearsay, I don't believe it. Spending tens of thousands extra on hearsay is not something I would ever do.
Personally though I dont think there is anything wrong in considering it and i would put it into the scheme of things while deciding on a purchase. There are obviously other factors that overweigh this consideration

Personally though I dont think there is anything wrong in considering it and i would put it into the scheme of things while deciding on a purchase. There are obviously other factors that overweigh this consideration

If it was proven beyond hearsay and anecdotes, it'll be an important factor, but as of now, in all testing that have been through, E series and C series have similar issues and performance. In fact, Rtings tests of C9 have it score just a tad higher than the E9 in some areas, such as color gamut, color volume, pre-calibration score and temporary image retention. The difference is just panel variance, but it does prove that by getting the E over C, there's no guarantee that you're getting a better panel for sure.

I have last years LG model and just love it. Haven’t seen the Panasonic though. I went with C 8 since I already have a sour round system. I say at a minimum get a decent integrated or receiver for audio. If you plan to listen only with TV speakers don’t bother about OLED as you aren’t taking advantage of the best TV viewing experience.

Personally, I think 2-3 hours continous watching and total 6-7 hours watching per day (provided there is sufficient time gap between both session) shouldn't cause any burn in even after 2-3 years. All latest oleds have panel maintenance options, which can be run, say every 15 days to take care.

As per my experience, for OLED, only thing to note is day time viewing. If room is bright with open windows, no matter, how much brightness is cranked up, there is always some reflection seen on TV screen. But no LED/LCD can come close to an OLED TV watching experience during night time even with lights on. It's a complete different experience. Do ensure that you can sufficiently darken your room (using dark curtains) during day time viewing for optimum experience.

However, you made a good choice of going towards 65". For true cinematic experience, 65" is a must, even for a viewing distance of 10ft. When watching movies with black bars (which is typical for most movies), with 55inch the screen feels smaller very soon. With 65" even with black bars, the screen real estate is still immersive.

Do wait for Diwali discounts. You should get good deal. If you don't require attached sound bar, you can consider Panasonic fz950 too.

Well avforums has members who have interacted with him directly
Also just because one grades panels does not mean that the panels are specification variant..such as the pixel structure , etc It is more of a QC process AFAIK.

Thats really an interesting thread. After reading all the discussions on the thread, Personally i'd take this as one of my buying factors when comes to LG OLED.

Even though the B, C & E series and above have same panels, I think The E series and above have some more QC process apart from their design change and etc.

I have last years LG model and just love it. Haven’t seen the Panasonic though. I went with C 8 since I already have a sour round system. I say at a minimum get a decent integrated or receiver for audio. If you plan to listen only with TV speakers don’t bother about OLED as you aren’t taking advantage of the best TV viewing experience.
Already have a Marantz AVR and 5.1 ch hence I am least bothered about the sound.

Personally, I think 2-3 hours continous watching and total 6-7 hours watching per day (provided there is sufficient time gap between both session) shouldn't cause any burn in even after 2-3 years. All latest oleds have panel maintenance options, which can be run, say every 15 days to take care.

As per my experience, for OLED, only thing to note is day time viewing. If room is bright with open windows, no matter, how much brightness is cranked up, there is always some reflection seen on TV screen. But no LED/LCD can come close to an OLED TV watching experience during night time even with lights on. It's a complete different experience. Do ensure that you can sufficiently darken your room (using dark curtains) during day time viewing for optimum experience.

However, you made a good choice of going towards 65". For true cinematic experience, 65" is a must, even for a viewing distance of 10ft. When watching movies with black bars (which is typical for most movies), with 55inch the screen feels smaller very soon. With 65" even with black bars, the screen real estate is still immersive.

Do wait for Diwali discounts. You should get good deal. If you don't require attached sound bar, you can consider Panasonic fz950 too.

Yeah. As I said I do not get direct sunlight in my living room at any given point of time, but still the room is lighted enough not to put on an artifical lights during day time. And oh yes, I have made a provision by using thick curtains which when pulled throughout can easily make the room pitch black as a night even at 12:00 pm at broad daylight. :)

The only one all difference that I found out between LG and Panasonic is LG does not support HDR10+ and Panasonic does not support Dolby Vision

Jsut clarifying, time gap does nothing for burn-in prevention. It has been proven time and again that burn-in is cumulative. You can watch 1,000 hours with rotating content or without, burn-in will happen if it has to at a similar time. Those pixels just can't get bright enough now. That's burn-in. Their half life is dictated by number of hours; now whether those hours happen altogether or spread, doesn't matter much. Temporary image retention is something that happens less on rotating content. They are two separate things.

Also, please don't run the manual pixel maintenance every 15 days. That's not good for the panel. Sony recommends it once a year if I'm not mistaken. The panel runs a small pixel refresher every 4 hours when on standby. You don't need to use the panel maintenance manually unless you see some burn-in happening already.

If it was proven beyond hearsay and anecdotes, it'll be an important factor, but as of now, in all testing that have been through, E series and C series have similar issues and performance. In fact, Rtings tests of C9 have it score just a tad higher than the E9 in some areas, such as color gamut, color volume, pre-calibration score and temporary image retention. The difference is just panel variance, but it does prove that by getting the E over C, there's no guarantee that you're getting a better panel for sure.

The Rtings test does not prove/unprove anything about panel grading. Panel grading is a function of Quality control and it does not neccessarily mean that one is going to end up with better color volume/color gamut/TIR/etc with better panel grading.

The Rtings test does not prove/unprove anything about panel grading. Panel grading is a function of Quality control and it does not neccessarily mean that one is going to end up with better color volume/color gamut/TIR/etc with better panel grading.

So what mythical quality control is this? What is it testing? Here's a test where the one with higher QC is scoring a tad lesser. Now I'm not saying that's the norm, just panel variance, but then what exactly is the purpose of this higher QC that you're touting? What is it accomplishing?

Jsut clarifying, time gap does nothing for burn-in prevention. It has been proven time and again that burn-in is cumulative. You can watch 1,000 hours with rotating content or without, burn-in will happen if it has to at a similar time. Those pixels just can't get bright enough now. That's burn-in. Their half life is dictated by number of hours; now whether those hours happen altogether or spread, doesn't matter much. Temporary image retention is something that happens less on rotating content. They are two separate things.

Also, please don't run the manual pixel maintenance every 15 days. That's not good for the panel. Sony recommends it once a year if I'm not mistaken. The panel runs a small pixel refresher every 4 hours when on standby. You don't need to use the panel maintenance manually unless you see some burn-in happening already.
Ok..
Previously I had Philips OLED. After few software update, it used to give a popup to do panel maintenance after every few weeks. Even if I would minimise the popup, it would again pop within 5 minutes and would go away only after I ran panel refresh. My combined average use was around 6-7 hours per day with even more hours during weekends. I don't get any such prompts on my current Panasonic OLED though. But I haven't come across any article which says panel maintenance is bad for panel.

Ok..
Previously I had Philips OLED. After few software update, it used to give a popup to do panel maintenance after every few weeks. Even if I would minimise the popup, it would again pop within 5 minutes and would go away only after I ran panel refresh. My combined average use was around 6-7 hours per day with even more hours during weekends. I don't get any such prompts on my current Panasonic OLED though. But I haven't come across any article which says panel maintenance is bad for panel.

For how long did that panel refresh run? Panel maintenance happens in a short burst, for 6-7 minutes, after every 4 hours. The manual one, in LG, Sony and Pana sets at least, runs for about 80 minutes. What my understanding as of now is that it regulates voltage of pixels to ensure that they are as uniform as possible, increasing or decreasing based on usage, and the increase can further damage the panel, as the half life of subpixels would reduce even more at higher voltages. This is why it's runs automatically only at every 1000+ plus hours. Sony has categorically said not to use it more than once a year: https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/support/articles/00173467

I would definitely follow Sony's advice. Max to max, twice a year if you notice an issue. Otherwise, just let it take its own course.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back