Planning to replace my Epson TW8100 with a native 4K projector

If you have the budget then go for Optoma UHZ50 Laser...I recently took a demo and the black levels were unlike any I have seen from any Lamp projectors, The contrast ratio is insane, Looks awesome even in brightly lit conditions, Power consumptions is half of Lamp projectors so is the heat and fan noise.

If you have the budget then go for Optoma UHZ50 Laser...I recently took a demo and the black levels were unlike any I have seen from any Lamp projectors, The contrast ratio is insane, Looks awesome even in brightly lit conditions, Power consumptions is half of Lamp projectors so is the heat and fan noise.
I see! Did you get any quote for this? Anyway, I'll start looking for more reviews of this and also try to take a demo myself.

They are not calling it "Native 4K" in their website. Instead they have invented their own term "True 4k". The difference being - True 4k is actually simulation of 4k by fractionally shifting 1920 X 1080 panel (Which is its actual native resolution - HD only). Native 4K are way more expensive.
Epson Tw9400 does the same trick, the difference being they are only able to simulate upto 2K resolution using their native HD panels.

Is this a native 4k? The res says 3840*2160

I have an Epson EH TW8100 Projector in my home theater, which I bought in mid-2013. I want to sell it to upgrade to a newer model. I have 2 questions:

1. Any idea what price I can get for this old model? (the lamp is nearing its end of life, but saw that replacement is available).
2. Any recommendations for a native 4K projector from good brands? Does it make sense for me to keep a budget of 2 lacs for an entry level model? Or is it safe to settle for a model like like the TW9400, given my budget?

Your suggestions/advice highly appreciated!
Having used Epson, BenQ and Sony .. I can tell you Sony/JVC are worth investment. If not, go for Epson.

It's not, it's the same pixel shift 4k as the other benq, optoma and LG projectors. Only Sony and JVCs do the true native 4k.

This is incorrect. Many companies make projectors with a 2160p native resolution. The Sony and JVC are more popular among the deluded circle who thinks black levels matter. If you go to the various company websites you will find many projectors with this native resolution, they may not be cheap or even consumer oriented but they do make them. I'm pretty sure that companies like BenQ, Optoma, Christie and Barco make them. These are superior to Sony and especially JVC if you are not caught up in the lower black level/ leading to higher contrast trap that is so prevalent on online forums.

This is incorrect. Many companies make projectors with a 2160p native resolution. The Sony and JVC are more popular among the deluded circle who thinks black levels matter. If you go to the various company websites you will find many projectors with this native resolution, they may not be cheap or even consumer oriented but they do make them. I'm pretty sure that companies like BenQ, Optoma, Christie and Barco make them. These are superior to Sony and especially JVC if you are not caught up in the lower black level/ leading to higher contrast trap that is so prevalent on online forums.
OK, my bad then. In my limited research, the only native 4k projectors I came across were from Sony JVC.

OK, my bad then. In my limited research, the only native 4k projectors I came across were from Sony JVC.

Native 4K (if you wish to use this term instead of 2160) are now ubiquitous. It is generally the cheaper end of projectors (both consumer and professional) which have 1080p/"faux 4K". If I am not mistaken there are still cheaper TVs being sold that are 1080p.

You probably came across these because they are popular on online forums, particularly AVS. Many people see value in Epson in particular which could be considered the Maruti of projectors.

Nope.. Sony starts from 3.5lakh if you want native 4k and JVCs are even higher.

However, as long as you are sitting 8-9 feet away from a 120-130" screen, it should be fine. W2700 BenQ or Epson TW9400 are really good options under 2 lakh.

So, I'm looking for a projector for my golf simulator. Need a short throw so that my shadow does not fall on the screen. At a viewing distance of say about 10 feet [screen size will be about 12-foot width and 8-foot height], will I be able to appreciate the difference between 1080 and 4K?

So, I'm looking for a projector for my golf simulator. Need a short throw so that my shadow does not fall on the screen. At a viewing distance of say about 10 feet [screen size will be about 12-foot width and 8-foot height], will I be able to appreciate the difference between 1080 and 4K?
That's a huge screen, and with a 10 feet viewing distance, you will surely see the difference between 1080p, faux 4k and native 4k projectors

if u can extend ur budget,go for sony 290. epson 9400 is good. only problem i had with it was motion jittering (actually it is normal for 24p). i am bit sensitive with it and want motion smoothening, which is not available in 9400 for 4k content.

if u can extend ur budget,go for sony 290. epson 9400 is good. only problem i had with it was motion jittering (actually it is normal for 24p). i am bit sensitive with it and want motion smoothening, which is not available in 9400 for 4k content.
Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to delay my projector upgrade for a couple of months. Was planning to buy it before the world cup, but availability it seems to be an issue, especially for Epson. And I may not get a good price for my TW8100 if I do everything in a hurry.

So, it seems better to delay the projector upgrade until the world cup gets over.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back