Planning to replace my Epson TW8100 with a native 4K projector

unni_pg

I have an Epson EH TW8100 Projector in my home theater, which I bought in mid-2013. I want to sell it to upgrade to a newer model. I have 2 questions:

1. Any idea what price I can get for this old model? (the lamp is nearing its end of life, but saw that replacement is available).
2. Any recommendations for a native 4K projector from good brands? Does it make sense for me to keep a budget of 2 lacs for an entry level model? Or is it safe to settle for a model like like the TW9400, given my budget?

Your suggestions/advice highly appreciated!

I have an Epson EH TW8100 Projector in my home theater, which I bought in mid-2013. I want to sell it to upgrade to a newer model. I have 2 questions:

1. Any idea what price I can get for this old model? (the lamp is nearing its end of life, but saw that replacement is available).
2. Any recommendations for a native 4K projector from good brands? Does it make sense for me to keep a budget of 2 lacs for an entry level model? Or is it safe to settle for a model like like the TW9400, given my budget?

Your suggestions/advice highly appreciated!
For 2l, nothing beats Tw9400, period. You will need to go for either a Sony or JVC if you want anything better than that.

For 2l, nothing beats Tw9400, period. You will need to go for either a Sony or JVC if you want anything better than that.

Thank you. Yes, looks like Sony and JVC will be beyond my budget. So, may be the only option comparable to a TW9400 will be a True 4K one from BenQ like W2700. And when I look at the specs from BenQ website, W2700 has native 4K resolution, which TW9400 doesnt have. In spite of that, you would rate TW9400 higher for a better viewing experience, right?

BTW, my viewing will be mostly OTT using a Nvidia Shield Pro and an old Pioneer LX86 AV Receiver.

Thank you. Yes, looks like Sony and JVC will be beyond my budget. So, may be the only option comparable to a TW9400 will be a True 4K one from BenQ like W2700. And when I look at the specs from BenQ website, W2700 has native 4K resolution, which TW9400 doesnt have. In spite of that, you would rate TW9400 higher for a better viewing experience, right?

BTW, my viewing will be mostly OTT using a Nvidia Shield Pro and an old Pioneer LX86 AV Receiver.
BenQ W2700 is not native 4K.

W2700 is not native 4k and yes, I'd still prefer Tw9400 over this, having seen demos of both recently.

I see! Then I wonder why BenQ has listed it as native 4k in their website (I am referring to https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html).

In their three CinePrime series projectors, they have listed W2700 as native 4K, whereas W1800 and W5700 are not native 4K. Any idea how they can make such a claim? Or is it just a mistake in their website?
I didn't find "native 4k" mentioned there, but I did see "True 4k" which is NOT the same as native 4k

I see! Then I wonder why BenQ has listed it as native 4k in their website (I am referring to https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html).

In their three CinePrime series projectors, they have listed W2700 as native 4K, whereas W1800 and W5700 are not native 4K. Any idea how they can make such a claim? Or is it just a mistake in their website?
They are not calling it "Native 4K" in their website. Instead they have invented their own term "True 4k". The difference being - True 4k is actually simulation of 4k by fractionally shifting 1920 X 1080 panel (Which is its actual native resolution - HD only). Native 4K are way more expensive.
Epson Tw9400 does the same trick, the difference being they are only able to simulate upto 2K resolution using their native HD panels.

It's true 4K projector not native 4K. Where they claimed?

If you can able to manage lighting in your room you can also consider Benq W5700 instead of TW9400. It's also not native 4k.

Yes, lighting is under control. I have a dark home theatre room (about 12 ft * 17 ft room) with a 110 inch screen.

At the moment, I am slightly more inclined to go for an Epson projector (TW9400) as my 9 year experience with TW8100 has been excellent so far. Still, just for me to understand which will be an alternate option that I should consider, how does Benq W5700 compare with their W2700. I am confused as looking at the Benq site, W2700 seems to be better spec'ed.

Yes, lighting is under control. I have a dark home theatre room (about 12 ft * 17 ft room) with a 110 inch screen.

At the moment, I am slightly more inclined to go for an Epson projector (TW9400) as my 9 year experience with TW8100 has been excellent so far. Still, just for me to understand which will be an alternate option that I should consider, how does Benq W5700 compare with their W2700. I am confused as looking at the Benq site, W2700 seems to be better spec'ed.
Color and contrast will be better on Epson. Sharpness and 3D will be better on BenQ. Choose as per your priorities.

It's true 4K projector not native 4K. Where they claimed?

I am referring to the page https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html. This lists their CinePrime series projectors (W1800, W2700, and W5700) - the first screenshot below.

Now, if I click on the 4K checkbox under native resolution, the link changes to https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html?native-resolution=4k-uhd-3840-2160. And the list now shows only W2700, as shown in the second screenshot below.

1665132467331.png

1665132355248.png

I heard black levels are slightly better than W5700 compare to TW9400 but the colors are more sharp in W5700 hence I bought W5700. Many people are recommending TW9400 but why don't you try W5700?

I am referring to the page https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html. This lists their CinePrime series projectors (W1800, W2700, and W5700) - the first screenshot below.

Now, if I click on the 4K checkbox under native resolution, the link changes to https://www.benq.com/en-in/projector/cineprime-home-cinema.html?native-resolution=4k-uhd-3840-2160. And the list now shows only W2700, as shown in the second screenshot below.

View attachment 72466

View attachment 72465
It's look like just mistake in the website.

They are not calling it "Native 4K" in their website. Instead they have invented their own term "True 4k". The difference being - True 4k is actually simulation of 4k by fractionally shifting 1920 X 1080 panel (Which is its actual native resolution - HD only). Native 4K are way more expensive.
Epson Tw9400 does the same trick, the difference being they are only able to simulate upto 2K resolution using their native HD panels.

There is one place in their website's india section, where they have given the impression that W2700 is native 4K (see the link my message above). Now, I dont know if it is just to mislead people.

Color and contrast will be better on Epson. Sharpness and 3D will be better on BenQ. Choose as per your priorities.
Thanks. Going by general discussions, I get the feeling that, for full HD content, I may get a better viewing experience from TW9400 than W2700. But if my video content is 4K (local blueray rip played through oppo BDP-103 or NetFlix played using Nvidia Shield), will W2700 give better results than TW9400 due to its better managed resolution / higher number of pixels?

Thanks. Going by general discussions, I get the feeling that, for full HD content, I may get a better viewing experience from TW9400 than W2700. But if my video content is 4K (local blueray rip played through oppo BDP-103 or NetFlix played using Nvidia Shield), will W2700 give better results than TW9400 due to its better managed resolution / higher number of pixels?
As long as you are sitting 6-7 feet or more away from a 120 inch screen, you wont see any difference in resolution

The decision will come around the sharpness vs black levels.

Epson produces very good black levels compared to any other projector in the price range but the sharpness and details you get from DLP will be better. I am using Optoma 4k and I do not regret.

Another reason to go for Epson would be if you are sensitive to color wheel rainbow effect

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back