Plasma Burn-in : Has anyone ever seen a burned-in set?

vramak

Has anyone ever seen a plasma with burn-in?

I've seen one and its pic is already on two threads here. (But burn-in in that set was caused by abusing the set at the store.)

Apart from my pic I've managed to find only one more pic - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Plasma_burnin_at_DFW_airport.jpg . And even this doesn't seem to adhere to the general description of burn-in (or in correct words, uneven phosphor aging) and it looks more like a bad case of stuck pixels. The panel in the pic might as well be an LCD.

Other than these two, I've not been able to find another credible pic of plasma burn-in. In fact, I've had a hard time even finding someone complaining about burn-in in the forums. Usually people come down really hard and complain a lot in forums if they find defects with their purchased products but no one seems to be complaining about burn-in.

So, is burn-in truly a not a problem anymore? Can ardent LCD fans point to some credible sources which prove the existence of burn-in in recent plasmas ?

I saw a burnt-in plasma at ezone in cosmos mall bangalore. It showed the menu of Quantum of Solace. It was so burnt-in that I could read the menu!

Well, the second picture does fit the description of burn-in.
I too have seen this issue in many airports, especially with older display.
On the side note, I have seen Many CRT's suffer the same in shops and places, where their billing software's menu is permanently burnt in.

I saw a burnt-in plasma at ezone in cosmos mall bangalore. It showed the menu of Quantum of Solace. It was so burnt-in that I could read the menu!

It could also be temporary IR. Could be burn-in too, as you say but can't be confirmed since you probably couldn't check if it was permanent.

Well, the second picture does fit the description of burn-in.
I too have seen this issue in many airports, especially with older display.
On the side note, I have seen Many CRT's suffer the same in shops and places, where their billing software's menu is permanently burnt in.

True. CRTs, I have read, are vulnerable to burn-in yet we all used to own CRT monitors and have never seen burn-in.

Nice thread! No one there seems to have witnessed burn-in but they haven't owned a plasma TV for a long time. I wanna see negative examples - examples of people having witnessed burn-in, preferably in their own TV. I mean, if very very few people have actually seen burn-in, then it shouldn't be a problem even worth considering.

Also, I found this useful piece of info on avsforum.com

Image retention and burn-in are used as umbrella terms for a number of different issues.

1 - phosphorescence - there is a long afterglow component of phosphors that can be seen even when the display is off. It is very faint however and eventually dissipates.

2 - Residual charge - Plasma displays use dielectric charges to control the on or off states of the pixel. If there is a slight residual charge left when the pixel is turned off the next time it turns on the pixel will be slightly brighter than normal. This will show up as a ghost image on a dark screen. You can tell it is residual charge because the ghost image is slightly brighter than the dark background. This ghost image is transient and easily removed by either a full white screen or watching full screen material for a few hours.

3 - MgO Sputtering - High energy discharge in Plasma displays causes Magnesium Oxide to sputter and deposit onto the phosphor and adjacent pixels. The result is a long lasting ghost image that can take many days to remove. It can be seen as a slightly darker image on a full white screen. Ironically, a full white screen for many hours is the best course of action to resolve this issue as it normalizes the deposition of MgO to all pixels (evens it out).

4 - Uneven phosphor aging - Permanent aging of the phosphor material that causes a slightly darker ghost image that is irreversible.

Most LG users seem to be complaining about 1-Phosphorescence. This is not even TIR, it's completely harmless and probably won't even be visible when running the set. I'm not very sure tho.

4- Uneven phosphor aging seems to be the correct description of burn-in. I couldn't find genuine complaints from owners about this on the internet. Would be helpful if LCD fans could get some examples of people who have had their sets affected by burn-in. (I'm one and I'm finding it hard to find even one more person.)

Yes i have faced this problem before in the past, this is my earlier LG plasma (not PK550) that i bought last month before getting a refund for it because of this problem, they gave me a display piece in lieu of a sealed piece, at the store i couldn't see any problem with the set, but when i came home and was running my break In images, my horror dream turned into a reality, as you can see there is a TATA sky logo burnt in at the bottom right hand corner, when viewing normal content in a normal environment, it was impossible to see it, but once a dark image was displayed with suitable lighting environment it was impossible to ignore. I tried getting rid of it by using all the options i had, but in the end i had to get the refund, i refused to have the piece replaced since 50Pk550 had been launched in India, and then I bought the 50PK550 in the end, Here are the pics.

s1oumt.jpg

2hx5yco.jpg

Last edited:
Yes i have faced this problem before in the past, this is my earlier LG plasma (not PK550) that i bought last month before getting a refund for it because of this problem, they gave me a display piece in lieu of a sealed piece, at the store i couldn't see any problem with the set, but when i came home and was running my break In images, my horror dream turned into a reality, as you can see there is a TATA sky logo burnt in at the bottom right hand corner, when viewing normal content in a normal environment, it was impossible to see it, but once a dark image was displayed with suitable lighting environment it was impossible to ignore. I tried getting rid of it by using all the options i had, but in the end i had to get the refund, i refused to have the piece replaced since 50Pk550 had been launched in India, and then I bought the 50PK550 in the end, Here are the pics.

s1oumt.jpg

2hx5yco.jpg

Torching the plasma for hours at the showroom seems to be an effective way to create burn-in. That's a strong reason why we have to be extra careful not to get a display piece plasma.

BTW, I can barely see the IR in the pic you've uploaded. Guess it could be residual charge and could have been removed by displaying a white screen for a few hours.

Well i tried everything, much more than displaying just a white screen for a few hours, but the logo was burnt in, and just didn't show any signs of fading away, you can barely see it since the screen behind it is a gray one (i only had this pic left of it). On a complete black screen it was evident from my viewing distance as well (9feet to be precise). So believe it or not but that is a burn in for your eyes to observe and admire. LOL.

Well i tried everything, much more than displaying just a white screen for a few hours, but the logo was burnt in, and just didn't show any signs of fading away, you can barely see it since the screen behind it is a gray one (i only had this pic left of it). On a complete black screen it was evident from my viewing distance as well (9feet to be precise). So believe it or not but that is a burn in for your eyes to observe and admire. LOL.

Hmm! Then it should be burn in. I was just guessing from the pic you uploaded.

At least there are some pics to show the same, but its rare and only happens in showrooms where they really abuse the sets.

Still i would go for Plasma as i love the PQ.

Yeah, IR's sometimes happen in LG Plasma, especially if you game with games that have dark environments ( Since stuff like HUD and Text are bright, they sometimes cause phosphorescence).
However, they do disappear in couple of minutes. This is very true if you set contrasts high ( Which Im guilty of during day time :) )

But does it reach to a level where it is disturbing and annoying? Nope. Since the movie sessions don't have this problem.
Even if my wife watches Surya Tv (With SUN logo) for hours on end, there will be a ghost for couple of mins, and then it just goes away. The fading is faster, if you play something full screen, slower if you just display "black", like watching a movie in letter boxed format.

i had a plasma and my kids used to watch a cartoon channel all the time. had burn in of the logo of the channel

I too have a LGPQ30 50" Plasma... bought Dec 2009

Ye it retains the ghost image of Bright LOGO and etc

but it has a color wash and white wash option

and just in 5-10 sec it makes the patch disappear
apart from that i keep it in Orbiter mode so the tv makes constant shifting of images and prevents burn in

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back