Plasma?? LCD???

The power conusmption of a calibrated 50 inch v10 is around 290 W. So to calculate the monthly bill you could try and use the below calculation.
1 unit=1KWhr
290W means .290KW per hour which means.290KWhr for 1 hour

Energy consumed/day=1.45Kwhr(5*.290kwhr)
Energy consumed/month=1.45*30=43.5Kwhr
For a tariff of Rs2.90/unit(Bangalore tariffs)
The monthly calculation will be = 43.5*2.90=Rs126.15

Comparitively a 52 inch B750 LCD TV is supposed to consume around 120-130W
Even for 130 W the maximum expenditure would be .13*5*30*2.9=Rs56.55

Please note rated power consumption of the 50 inch V10 is around 525 W. But in real world scenarios we will not come close to this figure

The rate per unit would be 3.60 if the slab is above 100 units here in Bangalore

well which lcd owner or plasma owner would have not crossed the Rs2.90.i always cross the Rs4.20/unit slab and i have two meters in the house another connection for the other floor it goes to the third slab 3.60.that too without even using the A/C.

to all ,the plasma power consumption will depend upon the brightness setting and also the amount of bright images show,so they can at times go close to rated power consumption.a plasma like the X10 will average at around 200watts,equivalent to a 185 litre direct cool fridge.
a 42g10 would average around 250watts.where as lcd like a samsung 40inch b550 would consume around 110watts with comfortably showing a brighter image and if u wan't it to be still lower around 95watts with close to as dim as plasma like X10 .
a 32inch lcd for a average lit room will consume about 55watts a typical 21inch crt will consume average around 80watts.
anyway next year the panasonic goal is to reduce it by another 30%.
but then again more and more manfacture will start using LED backlight which will consume even lesser around 70watts for 40inch sized LED lit lcd.

Well i have had a plasma for over 2 years, never even bothered to check the power bill its always been more or less the same,

I am really surprised to the extent dealers and salesman go to downgrade the plasma's in India. They will go down to any length to sell a lcd and degrade a plasma in front of the customer.

I went to ezone last weekend , the sales guy there was happily quoting to customers that plasma consume lot of power, generates lot of heat, is outdated technology and is not good.I really wanted to give him a peace of my mind, but then let it go.

I wish the users do research and gain more knowledge than blindly following what the sales guy say ...

:The views expressed above our my personal and is not meant towards anyone in particular.

Last edited:
in terms of monthly electricty bill i guess in a year a 42inch x10 plasma owner will pay about Rs55 more then a lcd owner if he watches 5hrs a day,A g10 owner about Rs75.
but these are the same saving u probably get when u switch to CFL bulbs, a typical tubelight with older chokes,will consume around 75watts although they state it as 40watts. a 24 watts CFL bulb can do the same job,thier power consumption is as stated.

now atleast for me i didn't switch to CFL bulbs due to lower power bill ,but to go green.
let say in karnatake there was a power shortage according to multiple news paper reports from deccan herald,times of india etc,they bescom said initially that bangalore would face 2hrs of power cut daily for the rest of the year:eek:(even now there is atleast 1hr cut daily) and the people in rural areas or villages will get power for only 2 hrs a day,.but i myself have seen power cuts as long as 8hrs a day daily in villages.

those people in the villages are also humans just like us, they to want to switch on a fan when its hot,or switch on a light in the night or for the only entertainment they switch on the tv.
now by me saving around 50watts just by going to CFL,that 50watts of saved power will light a house in a village.in my house each and every light is a CFL.so in a night i am saving around 500watts of light related power consumption ,which is inuff for atleast 2 houses in rural area.
again i have a direct cool fridge which consumes less power then a frost free fridge.

please not i am not in any way forcing others to go green or something like that.

well which lcd owner or plasma owner would have not crossed the Rs2.90.i always cross the Rs4.20/unit slab and i have two meters in the house another connection for the other floor it goes to the third slab 3.60.that too without even using the A/C.

to all ,the plasma power consumption will depend upon the brightness setting and also the amount of bright images show,so they can at times go close to rated power consumption.a plasma like the X10 will average at around 200watts,equivalent to a 185 litre direct cool fridge.
a 42g10 would average around 250watts.where as lcd like a samsung 40inch b550 would consume around 110watts with comfortably showing a brighter image and if u wan't it to be still lower around 95watts with close to as dim as plasma like X10 .
a 32inch lcd for a average lit room will consume about 55watts a typical 21inch crt will consume average around 80watts.
anyway next year the panasonic goal is to reduce it by another 30%.
but then again more and more manfacture will start using LED backlight which will consume even lesser around 70watts for 40inch sized LED lit lcd.

The power consumption i have put in is primarily for calibrated dark room settings with full contrast and brightness at 67 and other settings taken from one of the review websites.

in terms of monthly electricty bill i guess in a year a 42inch x10 plasma owner will pay about Rs55 more then a lcd owner if he watches 5hrs a day,A g10 owner about Rs75.
but these are the same saving u probably get when u switch to CFL bulbs, a typical tubelight with older chokes,will consume around 75watts although they state it as 40watts. a 24 watts CFL bulb can do the same job,thier power consumption is as stated.

now atleast for me i didn't switch to CFL bulbs due to lower power bill ,but to go green.
let say in karnatake there was a power shortage according to multiple news paper reports from deccan herald,times of india etc,they bescom said initially that bangalore would face 2hrs of power cut daily for the rest of the year:eek:(even now there is atleast 1hr cut daily) and the people in rural areas or villages will get power for only 2 hrs a day,.but i myself have seen power cuts as long as 8hrs a day daily in villages.

those people in the villages are also humans just like us, they to want to switch on a fan when its hot,or switch on a light in the night or for the only entertainment they switch on the tv.
now by me saving around 50watts just by going to CFL,that 50watts of saved power will light a house in a village.in my house each and every light is a CFL.so in a night i am saving around 500watts of light related power consumption ,which is inuff for atleast 2 houses in rural area.
again i have a direct cool fridge which consumes less power then a frost free fridge.

please not i am not in any way forcing others to go green or something like that.

Adder i second you on the same , personally i feel there are couple of things one can do to save power & water to go green -

1. Rain water harvesting
2. Using Solar for heating water
3. Using CFL's
4. Turn of appliances when not in use (As even on standby they consume power)
5. Check out the power rating before buying refrigerators,normally 4 - 5 star rating products consumer less power and are good to go for

Gfreeman :your effort is really appreciated in calculating the same, yes i agree the power consumption will vary with settings and environment of each individual.

Personally i run my Sammy Q9 on 50% contrast and brightness settings, i have never used it beyond that never felt the need, that's why probably i feel using plasma in dark environment or low lit is best and you get awesome PQ.

Apologies for deviating from the discussion but i feel we all can do out bit to save power and water ....

Personally i feel, if people are so worried in buying plasma due to power consumption, should be the ones who are more worried about paying their monthly electricity bills rather than buying a plasma.

Dushie,

While I appreciate your help, such comments are a bit out of line IMO. Pl remember that people requesting for help here are not as well versed about this stuff as you may be. Add to it the misinformation spread by unscrupulous salespeople and the confusion spreads. I do not think that you can fault somebody for trying to work out what will be the financial implication of buying one over the other. While I am clear that I want to buy a plasma, this gentleman

Anyway, I know now that the differential will not be more than a couple of hundred bucks a month which doesn't make too much difference to the total cost of ownership. Grateful to vj@hifi, gfreeman, adder & dushie for the helpful posts and also on the "Green"discussion. I completely agree, we all should do our 2 bits for environment.

Rgds,

Himesh

Guys,

To revert to my original post, went to check out Times Utsav in BKC as it had Sammy and LG stalls - 2 of the panels that I'm currently considering. The best rates I could negotiate are S'sung PS50B450 @ 58K and LG 50 PQ70+50 free DVD's @ 55K (exchange my 5 yr old 29 Philips CRT). I guess this is close to the best I'm gonna get, perhaps a thousand here and there at the time of finalisation.

So what do you guys think? Questions:

1. Which one is better purely from a tech standpoint. I had compared 50PQ70 with the smaller 42B450 last weekend and felt that Samsung PQ looked better. Was it something to do with S'sung being a smaller set?
  2. In general the impression I get from the forum is that S'sung is the better brand between the two. Is that right?
  3. LG does present better value purely on the basis of specs - better looks, 600 Hz, bluetooth, USB, Divx etc.
  4. What do you think about the prices I got for each panel? If anybody's got better price for either, pl let me know.
  5. Does a stand or wallmount cost extra? What would be the cost?

Also need to look at the Panasonic offerings over the weekend and then I can finalise.

Rgds,

Himesh

Hi guys,

I've finally made my decision. Buying LG 50PQ70 @ 50 K (with exchange of my 29 in Philips CRT) also getting free DVD player and 50 DVD set(which I don't need but the dealer is not willing to reduce anything further. Due to the valuable inputs provided by y'll, I managed to negotiate hard and push the prices down from originally quoted 64K to 50K. If I had not stumbled across this forum, I would've happily bought for close to the quoted price.

Would have liked to buy Sammy 50B550 but just could not audition it and th dealers I spoke with were just not willing to come below 75. Did not thing HD was worth additional 25K. Since my viewing distance is 12 ft, I dont think it really matters, I guess. What do you guys think?

Also bought an Acer Core 2 Quad, 750 GB, 4mb RAM, 20 in monitor for my daughter for 34K with 3yrs warranty & free canon printer. Wanted a bigger screen but it was a package deal with the 20in screen.

Thanks all. Will come up with a review once it is installed.

I've finally made my decision. Buying LG 50PQ70 @ 50 K (with exchange of my 29 in Philips CRT) also getting free DVD player and 50 DVD set(which I don't need but the dealer is not willing to reduce anything further. Due to the valuable inputs provided by y'll, I managed to negotiate hard and push the prices down from originally quoted 64K to 50K. If I had not stumbled across this forum, I would've happily bought for close to the quoted price.

You got a very good deal!! I was quoted 64K for the PQ70 model without any DVD pack or DVD player or anything. I have still not decided whether I would buy LG/SAMSUNG or PANASONIC but I guess I will have to shell out atleast a couple of thousand extra as rates in Mumbai/delhi would be cheaper than in my city!

Hi Himesh

I have edited my earlier post as i just wrote what i felt regarding the same and it was not meant towards anyone specific or particular.

If anyone felt that way, apologies for the same ...:sad:

Congratulations on your purchase and do give us a review and feedback of the same once u have it setup and running.:clapping:

Last edited:
hi himeshji
congrats on your prized possession. you've got a damn good deal. waiting for a review. does the dealer from where you've purchased, has a branch in delhi?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back