Platter damping rings

Looks like Hawkins pressure cooker gaskets!

Perfect recipe for a quick and dirty DIY project. Join two for appropriate length, using superglue.

Joshua

9239_S_head-cooker-l.jpg

I tried to understand the logic behind this to the point of bursting pressure cooker :lol:. But could not find anything. How will rubber rings on periphery of platter absorb ringing? I can understand metal rings and stabilizers (like magma is making) will add mass to the platter, level the vinyl, will make the speed more stable (inertia) so we get good SQ results, But Rubber rings ???

But I liked the words used in review :)
over decaying of bass notes
luscious mids and crystal clear treble
Pitch black silence
Better focus on stereo images

Regards

Edit : I have small rubber belts which I guess will fit on the platter. Will try this out.

Last edited:
hmm ive used them in the VPI classic USR
maybe mahiruha can share a pic later

Looks like Hawkins pressure cooker gaskets!

Perfect recipe for a quick and dirty DIY project. Join two for appropriate length, using superglue.

Joshua

PERFECT RECIPE. LOL. This should be fun. I'll let you know how what sounds this dishes out.

I'd bought a set of those rings off eBay. Didn't make a darn difference. Sucker, me.

A thick rubber mat (original or substitute) will absorb platter vibrations and take care of ringing.

The Garrard folks knew a thing or two when they put together that design. Guess it doesn't pay to second guess the designers.

I suppose that these rings might just turn out to be more of a conversation topic more than anything else. Long line the humble pressure cooker

Stevie, couldn't find a pressure cooker store. :(

You truly are beyond redemption... and here I am hoping you can find birch ply in bangalore :p

Tell me what size ring you looking at if I can I'll stock up on one and hand it over if we meeting this sunday. Oh dumb me I'll just measure the platter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiten, no chance of that happening. I'm single. Stevie, couldn't find a pressure cooker store. :(
haha was just kidding.

Finding exact cooker gasket will be difficult. Also how much they will stretch is doubtfull. As it should fit properly and tight.
Why don't you try Big flat (approx.5-8 mm wide and 200 mm length) rubber bands. Should be available at shops selling school stuff.
Regards

haha was just kidding.

Finding exact cooker gasket will be difficult. Also how much they will stretch is doubtfull. As it should fit properly and tight.
Why don't you try Big flat (approx.5-8 mm wide and 200 mm length) rubber bands. Should be available at shops selling school stuff.
Regards

Hiten, find the closest small size, take the platter off and place in freezer, immerse gaskets in hot water, wipe and mount. Reverse trick I learnt for assembling oil seals on my 1968 Jawa.

For my bike, I'd put the oil seal in freezer encased in a ziplock bag and the engine case in the the oven and presto!

You truly are beyond redemption... and here I am hoping you can find birch ply in bangalore :p

Tell me what size ring you looking at if I can I'll stock up on one and hand it over if we meeting this sunday. Oh dumb me I'll just measure the platter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMAO Steve. Platter dia is 12". The joys of being domesticated, I'm sure you know where the pressure cooker shop is. BTW, found a guy who deals with cedar and birch! And I need two gaskets. All in good humour bro. All in jest.

I'd bought a set of those rings off eBay. Didn't make a darn difference. Sucker, me.

A thick rubber mat (original or substitute) will absorb platter vibrations and take care of ringing.

The Garrard folks knew a thing or two when they put together that design. Guess it doesn't pay to second guess the designers.

Hi
I actually sell rings on ebay and through my website and have done for some time. Garrard through Perfect sound now sell them as well. In fact I have 4 or 5 companies now selling these same rings in competition. Prior to that Loricraft sold rings made of rubber cord and joined with superglue. The rings will work on any idler drive turntable but unfortunately better results are obtained on tables with hard idler wheels and/or worn bearings. I always offer a full money back guarantee so if you bought from me I will refund you! If anybody wants to try a cheap alternative try an old drivebelt. Regards Tony

I always offer a full money back guarantee so if you bought from me I will refund you! If anybody wants to try a cheap alternative try an old drivebelt. Regards Tony
That's very nice of you. I respect you for the way you do your business.
All the best in life. :)
Regards

Pitch black silence

Okay so I did manage to go and get Hawkins Futura 16 ltrs rings. Immersed them in boiling water and stretched them out.

Settled down with after putting Led Zeppelin In Through The Out Door on and experienced all of the above, plus a great sound stage. It did gve me better searation and the low mids were superb. The boominess of the bass was gone and slight reduction in rumble. The bass guitar notes rang a little longer. For 300 Rupees I'd say it was a darn good DIY tweak.

Last edited:
Pitch black silence

Okay so I did manage to go and get Hawkins Futura 16 ltrs rings. Immersed them in boiling water and stretched them out.

Settled down with after putting Led Zeppelin In Through The Out Door on and experienced all of the above, plus a great sound stage. It did gve me better searation and the low mids were superb. The boominess of the bass was gone and slight reduction in rumble. The bass guitar notes rang a little longer. For 300 Rupees I'd say it was a darn good DIY tweak.

You finally found a store selling gaskets! It's interesting to note the improvements you observed. Does your platter have grooves or groove-like structure on which the gaskets sits tight?

I think I know what will occupy me this weekend (or even earlier;)) though my platter has smooth sides.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back