PlayOn!HD - Using with a receiver without having HDMI

bansal98

I have been searching these forums and the internet in general for finding out an answer to these questions but the more I search, the more confused I get.

I am planning to buy a used receiver (Onkyo SR603) which does not have HDMI and it does not have DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD but it does have all the other related things as given below:

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
DTS, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS Neo:6, and DTS 96/24

My question is this:

I am planning to connect the HDMI out from PlayOn!HD directly to TV and use optical out for the audio and feed the receiver. By doing this, will I be passing the raw 5.1 bitstream to the receiver? Is it possible to send only video through HDMI cable using POHD?

I will greatly appreciate if I could get an answer to these questions.

Thanks!!
PS - This is the only good receiver that is in my budget.

I have been searching these forums and the internet in general for finding out an answer to these questions but the more I search, the more confused I get.

I am planning to buy a used receiver (Onkyo SR603) which does not have HDMI and it does not have DTS-HD Master Audio or TrueHD but it does have all the other related things as given below:

Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
DTS, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS Neo:6, and DTS 96/24

My question is this:

I am planning to connect the HDMI out from PlayOn!HD directly to TV and use optical out for the audio and feed the receiver. By doing this, will I be passing the raw 5.1 bitstream to the receiver?

Is it possible to send only video through HDMI cable using POHD?

I will greatly appreciate if I could get an answer to these questions.

Thanks!!
PS - This is the only good receiver that is in my budget.

Yes, you need to set either SPDIF LPCM or SPDIF RAW. However it is still based on how you set.

I am planning to connect the HDMI out from PlayOn!HD directly to TV and use optical out for the audio and feed the receiver. By doing this, will I be passing the raw 5.1 bitstream to the receiver? Is it possible to send only video through HDMI cable using POHD?

The PlayOn is only capable of either down mixing Dolby and DTS audio streams or passing them as raw bit streams. So get you AVR to decode the audio signal that it receives through either the optical or co-axial S/PDIF.

Remember one thing. HDMI will always carry both audio and video. So when you connect the PlayOn to the TV directly, that will also be carrying audio information. The best solution is to keep the TV on mute.

Cheers

The PlayOn is only capable of either down mixing Dolby and DTS audio streams or passing them as raw bit streams. So get you AVR to decode the audio signal that it receives through either the optical or co-axial S/PDIF.

Remember one thing. HDMI will always carry both audio and video. So when you connect the PlayOn to the TV directly, that will also be carrying audio information. The best solution is to keep the TV on mute.

Cheers

POHD doesn't seem to have DTS downmixing. When I play a file with DTS 5.1 sound, I get very low volume (over composite out, as that is all I have). Even the AC Ryan forums seem to suggest that.

POHD doesn't seem to have DTS downmixing. When I play a file with DTS 5.1 sound, I get very low volume (over composite out, as that is all I have). Even the AC Ryan forums seem to suggest that.

DTS downmixin is supported. DTS downmixin is converting 5.1 to 2.1 rite? (if i'm not mistaken.)

maybe you want to check your POHD settings? SPDIF raw/LPCM ? or is the volume on POHD to max? i had it hooked up initially and forgot turnin up the volume on POHD. :p

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back