Please guide for home theatre setup in Rs.1 lakh

subsatya

Hi!

I am looking forward to build a home theatre system. My budget is 1 Lakh rupees for receiver and 5.1 speakers.
My usage will be 60% music and 40% movies. Music genres include rock, pop and edm. Sometimes western classical.

I had Logitech Z5500 paired to Sony blu ray. I used a hard disk to access music and blu ray discs for movies. But now I have sold them.

Please guide me to build my home theatre system. First stage is av receiver and 5.1 speakers. Budget Rs.1 lakh.
Room dimensions 12*10

Hi Subsatya,

You need to audition systems to get a better understanding......carry your music / movies and demo the same content on different systems....start shortlisting....

Marantz is definitely good for music and so is higher models of Pioneer, Yamaha and even Denon.....again all depends on your budget and what gimmicks (features) you want.....

How big is the listening area? Depending on that you need to decide which kind of speakers....towers, bookshelf or satellites......

You can click on my name to see related posts where guidance was provided in the past, or look under what should i buy section......

all the best

A well packaged deal will be Pioneer VSX-830 + Pioneer Andrew Johns AJ-5235XT which should come within your budget. Please audition all options before you finalize

I was in your shoes till a week back, looking for a custom 5.1 !! Did many auditions & Got a lot of good advise here...

I went for the Wharfedale Diamond 220 package on Hifimart.

I found the floor standers too big for my liking & went for book shelf speakers. Dali Zensor & Wharfedale sounded best to me for music & Movies in this price range. Tried KEF, Polk, Klipsch, Paradigm as well.

Happy hunting...

With 60% music, you are more of a music person, then I think you will also have to explore the options of Amp with 2.0 or 2.1. The same setup can do some justice to your 40% movie watching.
However if you also want to have pure theater like experience and keen of taking the AVR route, then Marantz AVR are best suited for Music and Movies.
Speakers you may audition Dali Z series, Wharfedale Diamond 200 Series, Polk RTi Series...... the list goes on.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will study them carefully.

I auditioned Jamo S426, J10 sub system and DENON AVR-X1300W at Cinebels shop in Pune. They only have jamo and klipsch. They are quoting 65k for speakers and 50 k for receiver!

I was not so impressed by the system. Though the clarity was good , I miss my Logitech 10 inch sub. That punch in the stomach. :D

I am inclined towards Wharfedale from above suggestions.

My goal is to have two effects:

1] Proper LFE for movies. Without humming mid bass.
2] The extended bass effect for music. Wherein the sub becomes invisible and all we can hear is seamless music.

I remember once hearing B&W system. That was heavenly!

I was also there, looking for a good Home Theater System for my living room. I had the same budget. What I did... I ordered Taga TAV-606 v.3 with TSW200 and Marantz NR1606.
Now I am more than happy with my set up. Both speakers and AVR matches so well. Its such a pleasant experience for me to watch movie and listening all type of music. If you can audition Taga somewhere near to you, it would definitely be a nice option for you.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will study them carefully.

I auditioned Jamo S426, J10 sub system and DENON AVR-X1300W at Cinebels shop in Pune. They only have jamo and klipsch. They are quoting 65k for speakers and 50 k for receiver!

I was not so impressed by the system. Though the clarity was good , I miss my Logitech 10 inch sub. That punch in the stomach. :D

I am inclined towards Wharfedale from above suggestions.

My goal is to have two effects:

1] Proper LFE for movies. Without humming mid bass.
2] The extended bass effect for music. Wherein the sub becomes invisible and all we can hear is seamless music.

I remember once hearing B&W system. That was heavenly!

Hi,

50k for X1300 is too much. For Denon minimum you should ask for 18-20%. In fact most of my friends have got 20% discount on Denon receiver. I will suggest invest in a good amp like Yamaha RX-V681, which is any day better than x1300, even I personally like the sound of 681 over Denon x2200. The MRP of RX-V681 is 63000/, but you will 15-18% discount which would be around 52k after discount. Regarding speakers 50k for the 5.1 is very tight, only you will get package like Pioneer Andrew Jones. On top of that as you had Logitech Z5500, so you are expecting same bass or more. So if that is the case I don't think the package subwoofer can match Z5500 SUB. In my opinion first you should go for Front 2 Bookshelf speakers(Price Low>High Taga<Polk<Wharfedale Diamond 220<Dali Zensor 1) + Center (Taga<Polk<Wharfedale Diamond 220 <Zensor Vokal) and a good mid range subwoofer like (Taga Harmony Sub or Sonodyne Roarr 1210<Wharfedale D10).

Later you can buy surround and Height channel speakers.

Thanks,
Sujit

I have audition numerous speakers while hunt for a speaker for myself. As far as AVR is concern look for Marantz SR model for FM or Hi-fi ads or Marantz NR series. Marantz have best of both worlds. Most of the speakers available in market work great with Marantz AVR. Don't go by the size of Marantz NR series AVR. They are seriously talented performer. In speakers Elac B6/B5/C5 is the best option available today but may be not within mentioned budget. Other than Wharfdale Diamond 225/210/220c, Dali Zenser 3/1/vokal, Polk RTiA3/1/CSAi4. WD are very good for music and above average for movies. Polk very good for movies and above average for music. Dali have a equally balance for movies as well as music Dali is little bit on Brighter side whereas as WD are on warmer side. Polk is also a bit bright but less than Dali. You can twikel the AVR for Best performance with any of these speakers set. Now placement , WD and Polk can be place close to wall but Dali need sufficient space behind due to back ported.All above speakers can't be wall mount due to bulky size and weight. They can be place on shell. And last option go for Satellite Subwoofer system from JBL, Klispch,Def Tech etc. Energy Tech classic is available for 20k on forum and add good Sub within the range of 30k like Velodyne impact 10 or Polk DSW Pro 550i.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the help.

So I am now thinking about this setup:

Marantz NR receiver
Wharfedale speakers

How about Wharfedale 5.1 setup? Like DX 1?

Floorstanders and bookshelf seem little cumbersome for my room.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

I did like the Wharfedale DSX. I had auditioned it but wanted a bigger system and so went for the Diamonds...

Sound quality come first and then speakers placement flexibility otherwise wise you will end up with upgradation soon. Use your money wisely, give more time unless until you are fully satisfied.

I got a chance to audition Onkyo SR343 and Paradigm Cinema 100.

Any views on Paradigm Cinema 100?

I felt the lfe was quite ok. According to the seller, this is the best combo in my budget. As I want to go for satellites.

Prices he quoted were :
INR 73000 for Paradigm
INR 35000 for Onkyo.
:confused:

Check Detinative Technology Pro-cinem 600 or 800 and within 75k you can purchase book shelf speakers Surround sound system from reputable brand like Wharfdale,Dali,Polk etc.

Hi!

I am looking forward to build a home theatre system. My budget is 1 Lakh rupees for receiver and 5.1 speakers.
My usage will be 60% music and 40% movies. Music genres include rock, pop and edm. Sometimes western classical.

I had Logitech Z5500 paired to Sony blu ray. I used a hard disk to access music and blu ray discs for movies. But now I have sold them.

Please guide me to build my home theatre system. First stage is av receiver and 5.1 speakers. Budget Rs.1 lakh.
Room dimensions 12*10

Just buy three things - AVR, Centre Speaker and Book shelf speakers. Add subwoofer and surrounds later as and when budget permits.

For your 120 sq ft room and taste in movies and music, Marantz 1506 plus Dali Vokal Centre will be a good combo. Use the remaining money to buy bookshelves from Dali and cables. Probably you will need up your budget a bit to fit these three.

Buy a good subwoofer and surrounds later - you will get good deals in pre-owned stuff on forum itself.

Just buy three things - AVR, Centre Speaker and Book shelf speakers. Add subwoofer and surrounds later as and when budget permits.

For your 120 sq ft room and taste in movies and music, Marantz 1506 plus Dali Vokal Centre will be a good combo. Use the remaining money to buy bookshelves from Dali and cables. Probably you will need up your budget a bit to fit these three.

Buy a good subwoofer and surrounds later - you will get good deals in pre-owned stuff on forum itself.

just saw these on sale on the forum which maybe of interest to you.

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/66031-dali-zensor-3-bookshelf-almost-new.html

no affiliations with the seller; but did buy a power amp from this seller several years back. It was a smooth transaction.

Thanks for suggestions.

I don't have enough space to put floorstanders and subwoofer freely. So I am thinking about satellites. I did a little bit reading on the forums and found that satellites do not have the ability of floorstanders. So I am in two minds. :confused:

My queries:

How is Onkyo for receivers? Namely SR343 and SR444?

Marantz 1506 is pushing my budget but can go for it. Should I buy avr and lcr speakers only first? Will I miss the subwoofer? Space is a constraint.

Or should I go for 5.1 htib setup only?
I found Paradigm Cinema100 quite good. With a 250 watt powered sub. Is it recommended?

Trying to keep budget at 1 lakh as far as possible.

Thanks.

Hi,

I hope you carry your own media when you go for any audition? It would help to better decide about the product combination which fits your taste and budget.

Also, the bigger cabinet of the speaker, better the performance (This is my opinion). So, if you don't have the space, don't confuse yourself with other choices.

In my experience, I felt that the dealers in Pune take you for a ride with the astronomical pricing they give. So, I would suggest, if you look from dealers in Mumbai, it would save you loads of money.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back