Please help to choose!

hauntedhunter

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a home theater system.My options (as per by budget limitations ):

1.Onkyo HT-S3100 (If I buy these,I'll replace the passive sub with Polk Audio PSW10 active sub ) ( Cost - Around 30k )

2.Onkyo - TXSR 304 E ( A/V receiver ) + Jamo S 406 HCS speaker package ( S 406 floorstanders, S 402 satellites and S 40CEN for central ) ( Cost - Around 40k )

Please help me chose between these two.Also Is it worth paying the extra 10K for option 2.

I will use it for watching hollywood action movies ( DVDs ) and lots of classic rock music ( Pink floyd,Doors etc)...I love a thumping bass from the system

Please reply as I can't wait to buy it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey the Onkyo + Jamo combination was available in ezone for about 30k, so do check that out. I have heard it and it is pretty good. Not audiophile grade sound or anything, but warm and nice.......and the bass is pretty convincing although you may consider adding a subwoofer at a later point in time.

The Onkyo HTIB package will not be able to match the sound of the other one for scale and warmth, but do check out the two and see which one thrills you more. Honestly, nothing matters more than how happy it makes, irrespective of what the reasons are for the happiness. Even if for instance the fact of the Jamo 406 being big wooden floorstanders makes you happy....irrespective of the sound....then go for it...at the end of the day you're buying all this to make yourself happy.

Hey,

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Have you auditioned both? I read somewhere that the surround sound effect with the Jamo + Onkyo setup is not that good compared to the Onkyo HTIB 3100 ? Surround sound is why I want a HT,otherwise for music I could have just have a stereo sytem. Did u notice anything like that?

Thanks again !

HH, if you have a significant interest in music then an entry-level HTIB would be quite the compromise. I would highly recommend you consider focussing your budget on the best AV receiver and floorstanding speakers you can get. This alone would give you the best of both worlds.

I say this because it sounds like you will be spending an equal amount of time listening to music. If so, a budget AV+speakers will certainly let you down. Also you may find that a high quality stereo system easily outdoes a weak surround one.

For proof of this, look to real life. In a concert the musicians are on stage in front of you, not spread all around you. At the movie theater the surround effects are not quite perceptible and you are content with the brilliant sound coming at you directly from the front.

Of course if you find that you really want surround sound then you always have the option of adding center, surround and subwoofer in stages later on. But you cannot do it the other way round. So proceed with care.

Consider a good AVR from Marantz, CA, Yamaha, etc. and floorstanders from Wharfedale or Mordaunt Short.

Please help me chose between these two.Also Is it worth paying the extra 10K for option 2.

I will use it for watching hollywood action movies ( DVDs ) and lots of classic rock music (Pink floyd,Doors etc)...I love a thumping bass from the system

If you want a better bass setup then option 2 is the way to go. You are getting a lot more speaker for the 10K in place of the basic home theatre setup in option 1.

Thanks for all your help.I guess now it's time I audition a few system ( I'll wait till Diwali as I expect to get good offers then).

particleman : How much that setup ( a AVR + floorstanders from Wharfedale or Mordaunt Short ) cost ? I'm really limited on the budget front.

Thanks

Wharfedale Diamonds cost approx Rs 25k - 30K depending on the setup and where you buy it from.

Enjoy! Its always nice to get started with a new system. I've been very happy with Onkyo and the TXSR 304 E should be more than enough for you to enjoy most music. Onkyo's are very good value for money. Keep in mind that Home Theatre setups are different in that they channel the sound very differently from stereo amps.

Onkyo's integrated amps do a really good job of giving you a little bit of both. I did listen to the Jamo's paired with the Onkyo amp at the E Zone at the City Centre Mall in Hyderabad. Personally found the sound a little thin but I was hardly looking in detail. You should listen to Mission as well if you like more bass.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies.

I also came to know about these AVR's which I guess are in the same price range as Onkyo 304E :

Harman Kardon AVR-132
Denon AVR-1707

Which among these is the best ( considering my listening preferences :))

Please suggest!

HH the best way to select is take some of your music and demo it yourself. Make a CD with all your favourites and then ask the dealers to setup the receiver with the speakers of your choice. This is simply the best way to make your selection.

Onkyo, HK and Denon are pretty much comparable and you really will not go wrong with any of them. I will say that you have a better price option with Onkyo as there seems to be a lot of dealers with Onkyos on sale.

Enjoy! Its always nice to get started with a new system. I've been very happy with Onkyo and the TXSR 304 E should be more than enough for you to enjoy most music. Onkyo's are very good value for money. Keep in mind that Home Theatre setups are different in that they channel the sound very differently from stereo amps.

Onkyo's integrated amps do a really good job of giving you a little bit of both. I did listen to the Jamo's paired with the Onkyo amp at the E Zone at the City Centre Mall in Hyderabad. Personally found the sound a little thin but I was hardly looking in detail. You should listen to Mission as well if you like more bass.

Hi nikhil,
I am also planning to buy Onkyo avr and Jamo 406 package from EZone, city center but I am unable to e available personally there. In fact a relative of mine will be buying the items for me and then ship them form here at Ranchi.
I just wanted to ask you if can tell me whether SR505 or 506 would be better and Jamo will work fine with one of them?

abhilash

I think you mean the TX SR 505 and TX SR 606. Take a look at the specs and you will see that the 606 offers a bit more and that will reflect in the price. But really both are pretty good. Just a matter of fitting your budget. Sometimes its easier to look at the rear panels of a receiver to see what the specs really mean and you will see clearly what the 505 and 606 offers.

TX-SR 606 Rear Panel

txsr606rebig.jpg

TX-SR 505 Rear Panel

tx-sr505re-big.jpg

I happened to hear the Jamo setup at E Zone two weeks ago and they were pretty good. I would push for a bargain as I think they are selling their demo/floor models which is not a bad thing - just try to get a better price. Speakers actually sound better once they are played for a while. But you have to check for damage etc specially these items might have had some rough treatment over the Diwali shopping festival.

Abhilash I am assuming that this is your entry into higher end audio right? Keep in mind there are some better options available also. I would highly recommend you to listen to any speaker + system before you buy. Most dealers will happily demo a system for you. E Zone is an unusual place for this kind of system as they are more into consumer electronics but they do offer a very good price on the package. A high end dealer will offer your more options but will naturally charge you a lot more.

Thanks for your post.

Well by 505 I meant Onkyo TX SR 505 and 506 means Onkyo TX SR 506 as these are within my budget(upto Rs24000). 606 is costly.
Abhilash

Yup ... sorry my mistake. But in a way not too bad because if you check the specs/rear panel of the 506 you will see what Onkyo has done i.e. basically scaled down the 606 to the 50x platform.

Onkyo Europe - TX-SR506

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/17548458_fad9e952f0.jpg

There is no comparison actually. The 506 blows the 505 away. If you have a shot at getting the 506 go for it.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back