Please help to select a Graphics Card & build a HTPC

Naveenbnc

Hello All, I have a desktop with the attached specs.
Can you suggest a graphics card, and other changes to achieve the following requirements please:

1. Bitstream audio to avr is a must.
2. DTS HDMA and DOLBY TRUE HD from downloaded BR rips.(need not worry about this if bitstream works i guess)
3. Bitstream audio from Netflix etc (what ever best audio they stream, like DD+ etc)
4. 4K video is not a compulsion, but whatever best FHD video possible.
5. 3D video capability (only if possible in a budget)

This is only for music and movies. No gaming.
(I am not sure about the power supply in my Intex supernova CPU cabinet. If needed I will open and check)

Later, I will add a blueray drive to play physical DVDs and BR discs (if i feel it is needed)
So I have to plan a suitable graphics card.

I found The following graphics cards in budget, but not confident on which one to pick:

1. Zotac GT 710 2GB DDR3 Zone Edition Graphics Card (3.1k)
2. ZOTAC GeForce® GT 710 2GB DDR5 ZONE Edition Graphics Card (3.6k)
3. Zotac Nvidia GT 730 2GB DDR5 PCI-e Graphics Card (5k) (best seller?)

Is there any one in Hyderabad who can build a htpc for me please?
(please ping me separately)

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

Attachments

• Desktop specs_1.jpg
    Desktop specs_1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Desktop specs_2.jpg
    Desktop specs_2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • cabinet-p4-supernova-rb-wsmps-500x500.jpg
    cabinet-p4-supernova-rb-wsmps-500x500.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 23
I found The following graphics cards in budget, but not confident on which one to pick:

Zotac cards usually offer 3 yrs std warranty & 2 yrs extended warranty if registered online with 25 days of purchase.. So you ae covered for 5 yrs totally..

Choose a Zotac card, that offer 1GB DDR5 spec as i have read that is much faster than other 2GBDDR3 cards.. Don't ask me how fast, i don't know :cool:

2. DTS HDMA and DOLBY TRUE HD from downloaded BR rips.(need not worry about this if bitstream works i guess)
3. Bitstream audio from Netflix etc (what ever best audio they stream, like DD+ etc)

Most entry level cards must support this.. I have been using Zotac card (suggested by FM here) for a good 5 yrs time.. Have been able to bit-stream to AVR with DTS HDMA / Dolby THD and now Atmos / Dts X movies.. No issues there.. you just have to make right settings in windows & Kodi media player..

I think 4K playback, would need more powerful hardware.. Your dual core processor might struggle.. Anyways no harm in trying once..

No comment on 3D, as i have never used them..

(I am not sure about the power supply in my Intex supernova CPU cabinet. If needed I will open and check)

Your power supply will need an upgrade, though not a must.. But that also depends on how much internal hardisk (s) you have..

Later, I will add a blueray drive to play physical DVDs and BR discs (if i feel it is needed)

If you plan to add BR drive, then yes a Corsair powersupply will help you.. VS 450..

I understand, you are not comfortable handling the PC inside.. Even i was the same, until these useless so called local technicians failed to detect an issue & that day i decided to rip open the PC & figure it out myself..

Understand the power-supply cables.. Thats it.. You can do these changes on your own & save some money..

So you ae covered for 5 yrs totally.
This is really a great news !!

Choose a Zotac card, that offer 1GB DDR5 spec as i have read that is much faster than other 2GBDDR3 cards..
This is interesting that 1 GB is faster than 2GB. Luckely, i found the below one available
https://www.amazon.in/ZOTAC-NVIDIA-...20023&sr=8-2&keywords=zotac+graphics+card+1gb

If you plan to add BR drive, then yes a Corsair powersupply will help you.. VS 450..
Thank you....I will check this one...

these useless so called local technicians failed to detect an issue & that day i decided to rip open the PC & figure it out myself..

Understand the power-supply cables.. Thats it.. You can do these changes on your own & save some money..
Being a mechanical engineer, I am always scared of any software installations etc. :eek::eek: Not a big fan of computers.
But hardware, I think I can manage. Il try this if needed :):)

This is interesting that 1 GB is faster than 2GB.

From articles, 2 GB (or) more is good only if you would connected multiple displays.. HDMI, Display port in tandem.. otherwise 1 GB DDR5 is good enough..

Yes.. This one is good.. Please wait for other FM to suggest any other better models in this price range.. These cards are also aval locally in computer peripherals dealer in your city.. Insist on a good price..

Some cards, need a cable from power supply.. The above one doesn't and draws power from motherboards PCI-e slot..

Being a mechanical engineer, I am always scared of any software installations etc. :eek::eek: Not a big fan of computers.

Got it.. Myself, a Math graduate :p.. You wouldn't need to reinstall Win 7 on your computer after you change power-supply (or) add graphics card..

But hardware, I think I can manage. Il try this if needed :):)

Watch as many youtube videos as possible in assembling / dismantling a PC and make yourself comfortable.. Adding Graphics card is straightforward..

Can you suggest a graphics card, and other changes to achieve the following requirements please:

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

Hi,
It is not rocket science as mentioned by Elangoas.
you can try replacing the GPU on your own if you have confident.
One issue is ,at the first time once you insert the GPU your system will not show the display as it will try to connect thru default ( here ur VGA output will show the display) once you restart the system and removing the VGA cable from your monitor your system will detect the HDMI board and it will show the display on HDMI output.
We have to install the SW( CD will be supplied along with GPU) for GPU tats it( not windows 7)

For 4K you should have to have a budget more than 7k
3D it is painful to get it working on normal player .may be in KODI it is easy. btw whats ur 3Ddisplay is it Active or Passive .
previous model GT610 was working for 3D on kodi in my case

2 GB (or) more is good only if you would connected multiple displays.
I am using only one display PJ EGATE P513 (by the way....that's also your suggestion in budget:))

Please wait for other FM to suggest any other better models in this price range.. These cards are also aval locally in computer peripherals dealer in your city.. Insist on a good price..
Amazon says only 1 left in stock. If I can find in local stores, no need to hurry...

Some cards, need a cable from power supply.. The above one doesn't and draws power from motherboards PCI-e slot..
this is nice !!

Myself, a Math graduate
:eek::):) awesome..!!

You wouldn't need to reinstall Win 7 on your computer after you change power-supply (or) add graphics card..
This is less scary for me now
Watch as many youtube videos as possible
Sure I will !!

Hi,
It is not rocket science as mentioned by Elangoas.
you can try replacing the GPU on your own if you have confident.
One issue is ,at the first time once you insert the GPU your system will not show the display as it will will try to connect thru default ( here ur VGA output will show the display) once you restart the system and removing the VGA cable from your monitor your system will detect the HDMI board and it will the display on HDMI.
We have to install the sw for GPU tats it.

For 4K you should have to have a budget more than 7k
3D it is painful to get it working on normal player .may be in KODI it is easy. btw whats ur 3Ddisplay is it Active or Passive .
previous model GT610 was working for 3D on kodi in my case

That's an awesome info about display from VGA !!! Without this info I would be calling emergency 911 with my CPU ripped apart :D:D
4K im not really looking at right now. Right now Im using Egate projector. It doesnt have 3D any way...

Thank you very much Kalyan !!

One issue is ,at the first time once you insert the GPU your system will not show the display as it will try to connect thru default ( here ur VGA output will show the display) once you restart the system and removing the VGA cable from your monitor your system will detect the HDMI board and it will show the display on HDMI output.

Once the graphics card is installed, without any drivers, it is capable of least resolution - 640 x 480 output thru HDMI.. After installing the drivers, it will either switch to the most supported resolution by devices (or) can be configured by user.. I have done this few times to avoid switching between VGA / HDMI to get display on screen..

I am using only one display PJ EGATE P513 (by the way....that's also your suggestion in budget:))

Then fine.. Yup.. got it..

That's an awesome info about display from VGA !!! Without this info I would be calling emergency 911 with my CPU ripped apart :D:D
4K im not really looking at right now. Right now Im using Egate projector. It doesnt have 3D any way...

Thank you very much Kalyan !!
I would suggest you to connect only one output either VGA or HDMI.Dont connect both output at a time.
If you connect both together your system will get confused as which one is primary.
If you are well versed to play around in bios settings then you can disable on board display port ( VGA).

Thanks & Regards,
Naveen

Below is what I added to my very simple and humble Dell Optiplex desktop and it does everything you have listed out above

1. Corsair VS450 450-Watt Power Supply
2. Zotac Nvidia GT 730 2GB DDR5

The card comes with drivers which are very easy to install. If you find installing the card difficult, just get hold of a college going kid in your neighborhood and he should be able to do it, its that simple. Used this combination with Windows 7 and well as Windows 10 and had no issues.

MaSh

Please go with a newer model card which supports HEVC / h.265 decoding natively. Most of the contents will be in this format (specially 4K and above resolution videos). If native decoding support is not available, higher CPU power is utilised and without a minimum quad core/thread CPU the video stutters.

So for HTPC need you can go with Nvidia GT 1030 or AMD RX 550.

If gaming is not your area of interest, then onboard memory (capacity/type) of graphics card doesn't matter.
Only thing you need to look for is, number/type of ports available on the card and their versions. HDMI 2.0 or up with HDCP 2.2 is required for handling of 4k digital content (bluray, Netflix etc.)

If you need to know more about this.. please search "HEVC native decoding support."

Regards,
Ausy.

Hey Ausy,

Thank you so much for that info.
I am definitely not into gaming.

And regarding 4k, honestly I do not know if I have to look for it now. I'm using a budget projector. And I won't be able to upgrade to a very expensive projector soon. So I really don't know if I have to plan for 4k now.

Personally I'm satisfied with FHD kind of display.

Lets say I buy a 4k blue ray disk, or download a 4k movie, will i not be able to play it at all with my graphics card choice above??

Or.....I can play the file/disc but instead of 4k, i will get a HD or FHD display.

I don't want to overkill if it is not necessary. Any inputs please...

Thanks
Naveen

Lets say I buy a 4k blue ray disk, or download a 4k movie, will i not be able to play it at all with my graphics card choice above??

That's right. If your source is 4k HEVC (file, bluray disc) the older generation cards cannot process it. Instead CPU power is used for decoding and it results in stuttered playback. This is even applicable for 1080p h265/HEVC files depending on the content/scene it is decoding. Doesn't matter whether output device - display/monitor/projector is HD, FHD or 4K.

It is sad that there is no GT 1010 card. This would have been the cheapest option for HTPC. Anyway GT 1030 / RX 550 cards can be found between 6-7k

For new HTPC builds, AMD's new APUs (Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G) are the way to go..

Regards,
Ausy.

Last edited:

More like GT 1030. The performance of the APUs is really good but the cost of high end 3200 MHz ram kinda negates the price advantage.

Also 4k streaming content doesn't work on AMD GPUs/APUs as they don't have a fully protected path aka Playready support.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back