Please help!!!...

vimal562

i have a mini home theatre system (Edifier DA 5000) with me. now when i bought i didnt not know that the company does not have many service centers in the country. now i'm having a problem with the system. the whole control of the system seems to be in it its woofer(amplifier and receiver). some how its not working, and not even switching on. i'm at kerala and only at kochi they have some service center, of which they say atleast 2 months time is required to get the spare item (some coil inside). Now tht i'm tired of the trying, i'm looking at alternative option to use the same system speakers somehow.
1. could any one help me how to go about it?
2. can i use the same satellite speaker with another receiver?
3. if i use it with another receiver, would the same woofer work or do i need to buy a woofer separate?
4. or is it better for me to chuck it and buy a new one?
5. if so, could you please suggest a good 5.1 system to connect with my HDTV with a budget not exceeding 25000/-?

request help please..

thx buddy,

would check it out.....

anyone one could throw some light on the first few queries pls....

Vimal562

If you don't want to wait for 2 months to get the circuitry fixed, and don't want to invest in a new system , you can try and get a stand alone amplifier (built locally) with output rated to match the sat speakers (guess its 12W) and use the same sat speakers. you will have to do away with the subwoofer though (which incidentally forms the main component of this system with the complete ampli/processor built in it).

You will have to check on the forum if some one can build such an amplifier for your in Kerala.

Alternatively email to Edifier support on [email protected] and check.

hi,
You can ask the service centre about the exact problem the system has, take it to local electrician(if it is related to coil only) or electronics repair guy and get it rectified. If you are not happy with the result then think of buying something new.

You can use satellite with other amp but dont feed full signal. You need to use some kind of high pass filter at 150 hz. The satellites are not meant to play low frequency sounds (usually below 150hz. Check the specs in your manual). If you feed full signal you may damage them due to bass sounds.

Yamaha/onkyo Avr & active sub could be a solution. That way you can still use your satellites.
You can even use your present sub after removing all electronics inside and fitting a new plate amp on it. This way you wont need a full sub. Just plate amp. Driver and enclosure(box ) is already there.

Since you have satellites already dont go for HTIB(Home theatre in box which includes speakers with Avr). Will be waste of money.

thank you all for the replies.....

i have taken it to a local electrician to check the problem, he shown me a double winded coil inside the woofer, which he says has the problem. he says the double winding is not done these days by many, hence would be difficult to do it. he suggest better to go through the company itself.

@jaudere : could u suggest me a good AVR and Active sub please.

also, like to know general opinion on Edifier DA 5000, which i have pls..

Roseboy24: the local technician could not tell the part name as such, he could only tel me that its a double winded coil inside the sub.

double winded coil = transformer? . Check whether the transformer is working. If it is a problem with the transformer then you can purchase a new one or rewind it.

Sorry Vimal,

I am a stereo guy. My experience in limited to yamaha which i had and a denon which i listened to at friend's place.
Given your budget, you will have to stick to basic entry level AVR From yamaha/onkyo/denon.

All these companies have active sub as well. So you can choose from them.

One thing clear, the AVRs Most of the times outperform computer speaker systems when paired with decent speakers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back