Please suggest a DAC for Acoustic Portrait Amp and speakers

The AP Thyiaga DAC is great but quiet expensive. I have a similar set up where I use AP gear but its a tube pre amp and slightly different scan speak drivers. I use the ODAC with this combo and I am quite happy with it. It surely is not the last word or the perfect source, but provides phenomenal value for its price point. I am using a Studer D730 cd player otherwise and the ODAC does hold its ground.
If you can buy off Audiogon do look at used Wyred4sound dacs or Rega dacs.
As far as auditioning goes, only some manufacturers/dealers will let you have a home audition. Otherwise you could take along a compact dac which you are familiar with in your set up and try in the audition room to benchmark. Even then, what works well in that set up might not do the same for your set up.
Sorry for the long post :)
Aurobindo, have you listened to Kalpana Zokarkar Hidden Gems?

If you can buy off Audiogon do look at used Wyred4sound dacs or Rega dacs.
As far as auditioning goes, only some manufacturers/dealers will let you have a home audition. Otherwise you could take along a compact dac which you are familiar with in your set up and try in the audition room to benchmark. Even then, what works well in that set up might not do the same for your set up.
Thank you again. My first plan is to try Siva's new DAC. Offcourse the one you suggested will be in my list to try. i find Wyred4sound DAC-2 Series uses 9018 ESS Sabre 32 bit chip which is highly appreciated in industry. However the price tag of 1L+ is well beyond my budget. Rega DACs too are quite high price range. I am looking for something within 20K

Sorry for the long post :)
Please do not mention that. In fact I am thankful that you wrote a detailed reply.

Aurobindo, have you listened to Kalpana Zokarkar Hidden Gems?
Thanks a ton. So melodious voice. I find Kaushiki Chakrabarty's voice very melodious too, but sometimes too sweet. Kalpana Zokarkar's voice is a perfect balance between sweetness and melody in my humble opinion. Thank you once again for pointing me to the gem of music.

Aurobindoda, I recently found Arcam rDAC (used) for 20K on eBay but it got sold in no time. Try to find this DAC, I'm also looking for it. I made my mind that if I can't find one Arcam, I will rather settle with Schiit Modi 2 Uber. You can also get Cambridge DACMagic in 20K brand new.

Aurobindoda, I recently found Arcam rDAC (used) for 20K on eBay but it got sold in no time. Try to find this DAC, I'm also looking for it. I made my mind that if I can't find one Arcam, I will rather settle with Schiit Modi 2 Uber. You can also get Cambridge DACMagic in 20K brand new.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I will wait couple of months.
Main reason is I can accumulate some money to buy a DAC :eek:
Second reason, I want to check the DAC Siva brings out. The reason I am waiting for AP's DAC so eagerly is because I do not want the sound signature to change. The AP systems are build with a philosophy to delivering extremely pure and revealing sound. Bad recording sounds terrible, but good recording are so very melodious on AP amps and speakers. I guess that is what a monitor series is suppose to do. Anyway, I want the source to follow the same sound signature.

Yes, Cambridge DACMagic is around 20K, in my backup plan; as well as Arcam rDAC .... I keep that too as backup plan.

The point is now I have listened to AP system multiple times for long hours, I know what such system delivers. I mean I know the mood of those systems. So may be I can buy AP DACs with complete assurance that I will like it. But these other dacs I would like to try before I buy.

Also the added advantage of new AP DAC is I do not have to invest on a source. Its sits on Raspberry Pi 3.

But there is a wait for that, at least couple of months I think.

Thanks
Auro

If you've already listened to Acoustic Portrait and you're eager for the next release, I'm sure you'll not like the CA DACMagic. Arcam, it's a different story :)

iaudio, that's a nice CD player u have
prem, thank you. Yeah, the Studer makes me want to go back to CD's than playing from the computer+DAC. Also, it is a good alternative to vinyl what with the dust here and the pain of getting your fave albums on vinyl.

Back