Plinth Design for Garrard 301/401

But man, that Linn surgery has given me incredible headaches.

Completely agree. Would hate to conduct a huge plinth building exercise only to discover I have frittered away what was good about the current one.

Pray tell what about the linn surgery...im going to conduct one in coming weeks :(

Btw, of the numerous research done...i feel most comfortable understanding the way loricraft builts its plinth...the squash ball theory + minimal plinth size sounds just about right

with regards to heavy mass plinths...what shindo has done isnt exactly clear...shindo clearly claims many iterations went into it till he felt he had arrived to a design which works.

and the worst part...i don't think we know how a good plinth sounds like :)

...then you needn't bother.

+1. It is a lot of pain in all the wrong parts of the anatomy.

I am hoping your phono cable (the one that runs from the base of your tonearm to the phono pre - typically 5-Pin DIN type Female connection at tonearm base, RCA x2 at phonostage end) is in good nick and needs no change. To have the freedom to use better RCA-RCA connector, one can change the DIN male connector at the base of the tonearm to two RCA females. IMHO, it is worth the cost and trouble, unless your tonearm cable is already very good.

Yes, it is good to change the DIN socket to RCA provided quality pins are used. Many of the good Japanese companies have only RCA type with the connecting joint covered with a tin or aluminium covering for better isolation and insulation. In both my decks without suspension, I have fixed the connection a the bottom of the table and insulated it with aluminium foil. It may be crude but there is no other space inside the plinth for connecting the tone arm wire to RCA cable.
kuruvilajacob

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back