PMC 20.23 1st Impressions!!!

denom

Banned
Banned
23-1.png

23-3.png

twenty23

twenty.23 | PMC Loudspeakers

A chance introduction to the PMC slim & petite FS called twenty.23, thanks to KJ of Nexus Audio, who represent PMC in India happened couple of days ago. These are the entry level FS of PMC. Having already a fine taste of the now discontinued DB1S & the Mighty IB1S earlier, it was now time to hear these beauties sing :)
The pair on demo were in a beautiful amarone finish, as shown in the pics above. This is a really gorgeous silken finish & really stands out on the slanted cabinet of the 23s :licklips:
The 23s are really slender & lithe speakers hardly having any body to them size wise but sound wise, well let me get there later :cool:
I think the 23s are really well crafted & completely WAF proof :eek:hyeah: I say this in complete astonishment as have never seen a PMC speaker look so beautiful & feminine compared to the standard macho brute studio matt black finish ;) Beautiful to look at the 23s are for sure, but then looks alone are not important for us now are they???
Niceties out of the way, we start off with some soothing Jean Sibelius.
Amazon.com: Complete Symphonies: Music

Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 43: I. Allegretto

Now am not a western classical aficionado so I should not be able to do justice to the description of the way this particular piece played but I could definitely feel that the orchestra was playing its part, as individuals or as a combination of arrangements with the nuances being articulated & details imparted. KJ also explained certain aspects of the rendition by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, so that gyaan was most useful to me :p
Having started off with a nice warm up of the above classical piece, I requested for something that was familiar to me. Since this was an impromptu visit by me, I had not carried any music of mine & so had to select from the selection at hand at the venue. Luckily the next CD that appealed to me was
Amazon.com: On Every Street: Dire Straits: Music

1.Calling Elvis
2.You And Your Friend
3.Iron Hand
4.My Parties

Heard the above & yes! Now I was in a position to feel comfortable & try to hear what was going on with the 23s. The CD to be very honest was quite average recording wise & inspite of me trying to hear the music I know pretty well, I was hearing the deficiencies of the poor recording as well. Things showing up which I gather happens to me now having been used to the naughty actives that I have at home :mad:
So request to hear something else. More Mark Knopfler??? Sure, why not!
Amazon.com: The Ragpicker's Dream: Music

1.Why Aye Man
2.Devil Baby

WOW! What a difference a good recording makes :)
Spot on phantom centre, Mark Knopfler singing casually opposite to my seat! Tone, timing, width, space all in bags. Yes, now the 23s are showing what they are capable of, belying their size. Am amazed!
Look at KJ & ask him surely the recording is playing tricks! He hands me another CD to look at, it being

Amazon.com: The Mix: Kraftwerk: Music

1. The Robots (Remix)
2. Computerlove (Remix)

Blown away, felt like I was in a discoteque, minus the irritating bass hangover & boom! A slender cabinet with a measly 5.25 driver producing crazy amounts of fast & accurate LFs like no bodies business! Eccentric beauty of a TL design speaker highlighted to the core :licklips: I enjoyed this so much I repeated the tracks :yahoo:
This time I heard the Karftwerk tracks with another amp, a hybrid with tube pre, the tube made the sound even more trippy & added bounce/energy. Something that was quite a revelation to me & KJ as well :D
A thread regarding this amp will appear in the near future, probably once I hear it with my music to complete the picture ;)

Am shocked after the Kraftwerk performance so now its time to listen to some female vocals & see if the 23's can pull them off as well
Amazon.com: Recollection 2 CD Set: K.D. Lang: Music

1. Trail Of Broken Hearts
2. Constant Craving

Again, vocals beautifully rendered with clean accompanying instrumentation showcased in harmony. I closed my eyes & heard KD lang paint a picture for me :clapping:

Soothing & easy on the ears, at low volumes can put you into a relaxed zone, keeping all the details intact & maintaining coherence. Detail in the softness of an acoustic guitar, guitar twang & string resonance decaying in the intended way, no over hang of the bass notes either.

The fact that the LF reproduction is mind boggling is an understatement with the 23's. Time & again, 1 will ask where is the hidden sub that is doing all the donkey work!!!

These speakers can play loud & not lose control, can be placed say 8 -10 feet away from each other & create an even bigger soundstage, so they should be ideal for large rooms as well. I also tried some toe-in & out to see what happens, I liked a slight toe-in to ensure a wide sound stage without losing out on the phantom centre. In fact even changed seats & heard them off axis & could listen to both speakers playing their part distinctly. So, on almost all fronts these look to be a great pair :)

The price am not going to reveal now, reason being this review is not over yet! Little suspense :indifferent14:

So ends my initial impressions of the PMC twenty.23s
I now await the next opportunity to go for another listening session, armed with my Music to do a wrap up of these delicate damsels err speakers :lol:

As an aside, I heard the PMC's paired with 3 amps, the details of 1 of them (which was used extensively) are to be found in this link
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...avm-inspiration-c8-all-1-stereo-receiver.html

Decided to keep this thread dedicated to the PMC twenty.23's & hence not much info on the associated chain of equipments revealed.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...avm-inspiration-c8-all-1-stereo-receiver.html

OK, this was the speaker you 'auditioned'

Nice;
Well written review...[you may consider doing this for AV Max or the likes - you are surely more 'methodical' than some of the reviewers that 'they' use] !

Keep up the good work.

p.s. Try to post pics that you have taken - with you & the product - looks a bit more genuine...just a suggestion;

Thanks for the detailed and well written review. The speakers look very very pretty.

PMC are based on transmission line design, right? Explains the accurate and deep bass, but is there a slight thump to it as well?

It will be good to know what did you think of them compared to the Genelecs?
Both are very good, but I mean to ask about the difference in sound signatures and overall presentation.

Thanks for the detailed and well written review.

Both are very good, but I mean to ask about the difference in sound signatures and overall presentation.

I am not authorised to comment here - cause I have not heard these speakers;
However, Several Genelec's & PMC's I have heard in the past & I will pen down my 'general' observations;

Genelec's need to be used with SUB's [except for the big ones]
PMC's can be used - without SUB's [except for the very small ones]

G's are very accurate in their sound representation;
P's are a tad bit more musical;

G's have a 'tight bass'
P's have 'fuller bass'

G's only make speakers for Studio Use [looks wise]
P's make speakers with 'different' finishes that are more suited for home use.

:clapping:

OK, this was the speaker you 'auditioned'

Nice;
Well written review...[you may consider doing this for AV Max or the likes - you are surely more 'methodical' than some of the reviewers that 'they' use] !

Keep up the good work.

p.s. Try to post pics that you have taken - with you & the product - looks a bit more genuine...just a suggestion;

Thanks! Am open to doing so for any publication on a 'professional' basis, do hook me up with concerned 'persons' if you are knowing them.

As for pics, as mentioned it was a session that happened by chance on the spur of the moment, hence was not prepared with either my music or a cam.
But point noted, after all your pics are an 'inspiration' :clapping:

Thanks for the detailed and well written review. The speakers look very very pretty.

Thanks!

PMC are based on transmission line design, right? Explains the accurate and deep bass, but is there a slight thump to it as well?

Yes, TL Design. You need to hear the PMC TL speakers to judge for your self, whether accurate, deep or thump as everything varies per 1's tastes & hence definition changes as well :p

See as explained above & below by bhagwan :cool:

I am not authorised to comment here - cause I have not heard these speakers;
However, Several Genelec's & PMC's I have heard in the past & I will pen down my 'general' observations;

Genelec's need to be used with SUB's [except for the big ones]
PMC's can be used - without SUB's [except for the very small ones]

G's are very accurate in their sound representation;
P's are a tad bit more musical;

G's have a 'tight bass'
P's have 'fuller bass'

G's only make speakers for Studio Use [looks wise]
P's make speakers with 'different' finishes that are more suited for home use.

:clapping:

Decided to keep this thread dedicated to the PMC twenty.23's & hence not much info on the associated chain of equipments revealed.

Nice speaker..this must be North of Rs 2 L
BTW, what happened to the Zodiac Review..is that closed ?

Denom, still waiting for the Zodiac review as pointed out by Arj...Nice writeup for a spur of the moment audition by I think you have had the Zodiac for quite sometime now ....

Eagerly waiting to read what you heard...

Last edited:
Nice speaker..this must be North of Rs 2 L
BTW, what happened to the Zodiac Review..is that closed ?

Not very far from your estimate :p

Denom, still waiting for the Zodiac review as pointed out by Arj...Nice writeup for a spur of the moment audition by I think you have had the Zodiac for quite sometime now ....

Eagerly waiting to read what you heard...

Yes, am afraid that the most awaited review is being delayed due to certain unfavourable circumstances, hence have not been able to post it. Sorry but its out of my hands at the moment :eek:

Having read Denom's first impressions of the PMC twenty 23, I was very keen to hear them myself. Today I got the opportunity to to do so. What was made the session more interesting was that we used the same electronics I have at home, the Peachtree Decco65 amp and Marantz Cd 5001. The speakers I have were the Sonodyne Sonus 2605. The Peachtree is a big improvement over my previous Marantz PM 6002. But when we heard the same setup today with the PMCs it totally blew me away. The difference was night and day!
The 20.23s compact size and small footprint may initially fool you, but boy these speakers delivery is nothing short of fantastic! The soundstage is well spread out yet focussed. The phantom center is at once apparent.
The PMCs sound exudes immense scale and authority. I felt I was hearing some of the tracks for the first time even though I have heard them many times before. For eg. the Eagles track 'Life in the fast lane' revealed amazing detail in the lead and bass guitars. Peter Gabriel's 'Dont Give Up' was mesmerizing. You just didn't want the song to end. The bass was fast and taut, probably due to the transmission line design. There is superb pace and timing in this speaker's sound. These speakers don't know the meaning of ear fatigue.
The fit and finish is top class, apparently the speaker is completely made in the UK.
Thanks to Denom and Khushrau for an afternoon in audio nirvana.:clapping:

The music played, chit chat happened in between but the sheer musical enjoyment that these speakers bring, never cease to amaze me.

Couple of words to describe the sound:

Likeable, enjoyable, musical :licklips:

A session that lasted 4 hours, that was full of pleasure & satisfaction. Time ran out & it was difficult to leave having so much more music to hear but that is for another time I suppose!

Couple of observations:

Used optical & co-axial cables to see how much of a difference was between the 2.
Optical killed the co-axial cable on the sound front. It was a hugely noticeable difference. How? Thanks to the speakers! Why speakers, because we carried out similar experiment with another pair of 'X' speakers & the result gave us nothing, both cables sounding identical! So, speakers DO NOT LIE is the lesson learnt!!!

I loved the way the Eagles album sounded, so beautiful in tone of the instruments, esp the Guitars, be it lead, rhythm or bass, all sounded delicious :licklips: All highlighted in 'Hotel California' majestically. So many finer nuances heard, sound stage created was that of a nice small setting on the track 'life in the fast lane', guitar tube amps being overdriven! The lovely initimacy of the singer in the track 'i can't tell you why', the difference in the way he sings, sometimes in a falcetto, sometimes softly, the bass nicely enveloping you in the track, transporting you to the location beautifully.

'Smooth operator live' clearly lacked the oomph of the studio version, felt quite lifeless & processed. Such details highlighted mostly in albums with poor production values, yet again throwing the spot light on the quality of the recordings.

Diana Krall played but how well I am not able to say, since am not a fan of hers.

'The 1812 overture' was next, it gave a lot of details even at low volumes, as the recording itself is low leveled. The cannons fired but this particular rendition did not do much for me, probably should hear another version to take a call.

Sarah Brightman sounded nice & delicate, but I prefer the song rendition by Andrea Bocelli whose CD unfortunately was not at hand to compare.

John Lennon sounded nice & peppy, very musical. Kraftwerk next & yet again was enjoying the crazy detailing of their tracks & tight LF's coming in waves, highly enjoyable!

Pater Gabriel sounded so real, it was scary :D Beautiful spotlight on the vocals & accompanying soft texture to the musical instruments.

Kari Bremnes was next & WOW what a voice she has, I just love the way she sings. Soft at times & strong / pointy at others. This is one artist I really recommend more people to listen to. Production values of her albums are top notch to boot!

Sarah McLachlan was next & her music was so soft & had the emotional connect, beautifully rendered.

Mark Knopfler's killer album played quite a bit, so much to like, even though am not a big fan of his solo work, but this album is well recorded & the music is quite listenable, an intimate feel was created by the twenty.23's

'The animals have gone' by Damien Rice followed & all the feel of loss & hurting/melancholy accurately delivered, making me feel sad & lousy! So I got Mumford & Sons to cheer me up with their beautiful & lively 'I will wait for you' to set a nice happy ambiance, full of energy & positivity. Makes your feet tap along all the way :)

Alo, an unknown band to me follows with quite a nice sound & unique male vocals, quite engrossing & listenable. The last album now was played for the day, it being one of my favourites. Bass guitar sounded so well rounded, magnetic, intoxicating & in complete cohesion with the drums. Timing was being highlighted effortlessly. It just made me feel lost into the music! And here it ended, session over, with me buzzing with happiness :)

The other FM was given the benefit of the 'sweet spot' & I heard almost all of the tracks off axis & yet could nicely hear both channels share details as they meant to, with phantom centre in most of the tracks achieved & the speakers disappearing beautifully.

My take from this session coupled with the earlier one is that the PMC twenty.23's are a pair of speakers that do 2 things really well. They make a very unfatigued listening experience happen effortlessly but at the same time bring out all the details of the music played through them. A very nice combination to achieve in speakers, something most speakers can only dream of doing!

Am sure that these speakers once bought will not be replaced for a long period of time, as the satisfaction they give is truly fantastic.

Negatives: Cost, cost, cost!!! Something that cannot be ignored as the outlay is quite significant but its not due to the distributor charging obscenely, rather the fact that these speakers cost a lot in UK itself:( (PMC Speakers are made in UK, not china) & further aided the rupee getting screwed in the current market scenario.

I don't....but the intention is to acquire them...will give you a shout if and when I do acquire them. How would you compare them with Dynaudio.......say PMC Twenty.23s with the Dynaudio Focus 160 bookshelvs that retail for around 1.8 lakh....

Cool, will be most glad to come for a listen. Haven't heard the Dynaudio Focus 160 BS Speakers, so cannot say anything about them either.

Nice Thread

The drivers of this speakers looks exactly the same like my AP Speakers .....

are this 6.5 inches woofers ?

I can see nice modifications done to enhance its performance,

1. he redced the width of the cabinet , hopefully/maybe to reduce the little boomy effect
2. made a FS
3. gave front port on the bottom
4. the fs seems to be slightly slanted, to reduce the sharp effect of tweeters hitting directly to ear, also the tweeters are covered by a mesh

But if the woofers are 6 - 6.5 inches, then its going to perform more than my AP Speakers for sure

Just noticed : the twenty.24 has 6.5'' woofer .... try this and check out the difference ... although iam sure the twenty.23 is also great pair

All the best

Tanoj

Last edited:
For normal room sizes within 300 sq. ft. driver size barely makes much impact on the sound characteristics whenever transmission line design speakers are set in comparison to bass-reflex ones. The frequency response of the drivers used in TL design needs to be matched accurately with the TL housing and the 'specified' quantity and density of dampening material to provide you with the 'desired'. Maybe this complicity prevents most speaker manufacturers to attempt taking up TL speaker manufacture on a mass scale. PMC being one exception. 3-4 other firms are present too, but on a much smaller scale.

Nice Thread

The drivers of this speakers looks exactly the same like my AP Speakers .....

are this 6.5 inches woofers ?

I can see nice modifications done to enhance its performance,

1. he redced the width of the cabinet , hopefully/maybe to reduce the little boomy effect
2. made a FS
3. gave front port on the bottom
4. the fs seems to be slightly slanted, to reduce the sharp effect of tweeters hitting directly to ear, also the tweeters are covered by a mesh

But if the woofers are 6 - 6.5 inches, then its going to perform more than my AP Speakers for sure

Just noticed : the twenty.24 has 6.5'' woofer .... try this and check out the difference ... although i am sure the twenty.23 is also great pair

All the best

Tanoj

Available Finishes: Walnut, Amarone, Diamond Black, Oak
Crossover Frequency: 1.8kHz
Dimensions: H 918mm 36.14 (+25mm spikes) W 152mm 6.0 D 330mm 13.0 (+6mm grille)
Drive Units: LF PMC twenty series, lightweight doped 5.5/140mm cone with cast alloy chassis , HF PMC/SEAS, 27mm twenty series, SONOLEX soft dome, Ferrofluid cooled
Effective ATL Length: 2.4m 7.8ft
Frequency Response: 29Hz 25kHz
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Input Connectors: 2 pairs 4mm sockets (Bi-amp or Bi-wire)
Sensitivity: 87dB 1w 1m
Weight: 13.2kg 29 lbs

Sir,
I am a bit lost;
Please do shed some light.
What speaker are you talking about ?
twenty.23 | PMC Loudspeakers
This one ?
Or some other ....

The Woofer is 5.5" [specs are attached]
This Speaker is not 'ported' [it is a TL] - I think.

The Baffle is 'slanted' for T.A. [Time Alignment] - I think - I may be wrong..

Tweeter has a 'mesh' for 'protection' !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back