Polk Audio PSW 110 Subwoofer - Good punch only above 60% volume

If you've connected your Amps 'Sub-Out' to the 'LFE In' of the sub, then the Sub's crossover is bypassed, so it doesn't matter what u set on the sub. Only phase and gain would work.

I suggest you look into what your Front speakers are set as 'Small / Large' in the AVR. The bass output would vary depending on what they are set. If your using bookshelf speakers, then set front to Small and set the sub crossover(AVR) to 100Hz . Keep your sub gain at 50-60%, and increase gain at AVR depending on how much punch you require. Play around with those settings and you will get what your looking for.

Tuning with Audyssey would give optimum performance for movies where the real lows are required. If your used to listening to music with a lot of bass, then manual adjustments are your only solution.

Just my opinion, there are experts here who will suggest better..

Hi Sridhar

Yes the sub out of the AVR is connected to the LFE IN at the rear of the sub. Crossover in the AVR has been set to 80Hz as was mentioned in the subwoofer manual.

As mentioned in my signature, I use Yamaha NS 8390 front 3-way floor standers and a centre and surround package. The surrounds are bookshelves. I have accordingly set front speakers to Large and surrounds to Small in the AVR.

You should set the front speakers as small even if it is a tower speaker. Smal and Large are not related to the size of the speakers, they just indicate if the speaker is full range or not. If set as LARGE, AVR will use the front speakers for low frequency and sub is rarely used. Change it to small and the subwoofer will be used for low frequency.

You should set the front speakers as small even if it is a tower speaker. Smal and Large are not related to the size of the speakers, they just indicate if the speaker is full range or not. If set as LARGE, AVR will use the front speakers for low frequency and sub is rarely used. Change it to small and the subwoofer will be used for low frequency.

Oh! Didn't know this. I set it to large since when I change the setting the Denon 2113's much improved GUI actually shows 2 tower speakers on screen for the Large setting. When I change it to Small, it shows 2 bookshelf speakers on stands for the front. Anyway no harm in changing it and checking out the difference in sound.

But like I said, I feel now with the 2 hrs of running daily, the sub is already opening up. Yesterday the sub was on from almost 5pm to 2am, as after a 2 hour movie session, I kept playing some song videos etc while I attended to other work at home. So I guess it's breaking in faster. By this time next week, it should be close to its full performance.

Whole of yesterday, the sub's volume knob has been at 50%, and the sub level in the AVR was at +6dB. Before that I had kept the sub level at full, ie +12dB in the AVR. During the movie I felt it was getting quite boomy and I reduced it to +6dB.

Great - another Denon AVR user with the same sub!
At the back of the subwoofer, settings are:

Volume: 50% (12 o'clock position)
Low Pass: LFE
Phase: 180

Haven't done the Audyssey thing till now. Will do it shortly and see the difference. Since you have mentioned the firmware update, I will also check whether there is one for my Denon 2113.

Let me know if I should change any of my above settings. As per the subwoofer manual, I set the crossover at 80Hz. Should it be set to a higher value?

check with phase, recommended setting should be at 0 for me also it is on zero. this phase depends on sub position in the room, room size and many others.

If you've connected your Amps 'Sub-Out' to the 'LFE In' of the sub, then the Sub's crossover is bypassed, so it doesn't matter what u set on the sub. Only phase and gain would work.
yes this is correct, when you connect using sub out in AVR to LFE in Sub, for PSW110, the nob should be turned full to LFE.

You should set the front speakers as small even if it is a tower speaker.
In reality for Denon, when you run Audessey, AVR set fronts as Large if you have sub in the system. But the setting should be changed to small for fronts when there is a sub in the system.

In reality for Denon, when you run Audessey, AVR set fronts as Large if you have sub in the system.

Not true. Whether there is subwoofer or not, Audessey checks for the frequency response of the speakers to determine whether they are large or small. In my case, AVR always detects the satellite speakers as small.

Not true. Whether there is subwoofer or not, Audessey checks for the frequency response of the speakers to determine whether they are large or small. In my case, AVR always detects the satellite speakers as small.

Possible.... However In my case, done audessey setup thrice, it always set fronts as large. I do not have surrounds, so cann't comment.

My PSW 110 works fine with the Denon 1910. Audessey never worked for me. You need to work on the setting, It took me a while to get the perfect tone I like. Placement of the sub also matters, try the crawl test!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back