Polk Audio PSW 110 Subwoofer - Good punch only above 60% volume

VSG12777

Hi everyone

I just picked up a Denon 2113 AVR and a Polk Audio PSW 110 powered subwoofer over the weekend. The AVR was to replace my old Yamaha RX-V459 receiver which was non-HDMI. I have the Yamaha NS-8390 3-way tower speakers and the NS-P60 centre and surround package.

I didn't have a very big budget for the subwoofer so I chose this Polk Audio model since I was offered the same for 13.5k at ProFX, 15k being the MRP. I previously used a Sony 100W powered subwoofer from my parents' place which was part of a HTIB system there, that I purchased back in 2003. Nice punchy sub.

Ok coming to the issue at hand, I find that with this Polk PSW 110, I have to push the volume beyond 50% (almost 65-70%) to get proper punch from DTS blu-ray music videos, or movies. I have set the crossover at 80Hz as mentioned in the subwoofer manual and have set the same in the Denon 2113's subwoofer menu as well.

"Phase" at the rear of the sub has been set to 180. The other setting is zero (0). The subwoofer out from the Denon has been connected to the sub using a single coaxial cable that I had purchased some time back from MX.

My question is, is this due to the design of the subwoofer? I used to get very good punch from the 8 inch Sony subwoofer of 2003, at even 40% volume. This one, is supposed to be 200 watts and has a 10 inch driver - so I expected much more.

Up to 50% level on the sub, the bass is very low. You almost can't feel the extra bass from the sub in most scenes/music videos. My tower speakers already produce reasonably good bass. However I wanted to complete the .1 in the 5.1 setup by adding the subwoofer.

This issue has been worrying me.

(1) Is this a design issue? Perhaps, the increase from 0 to 50% is very gradual, and from 50-100% is much more as per the design?
(2) Should I consider upgrading to the next model PSW 125 (300 watts, 12 inch driver), for 18k? ProFX is willing to take this and give me the 125 for 4.5k extra.
(3) I read on a few reviews on the internet, that this subwoofer requires a solid break-in period. How many hours should it be? 20 hrs? 50 hrs?

In any case I have time till about 20th of March, when ProFX would receive fresh stocks of the PSW 125. So I need to make up my mind by then, regarding the upgrade.

I did go through a few threads and found some of you owning the PSW 110 and 125 models. So please do share your thoughts.

I have increased the subwoofer level in the receiver's menu to full (+12 dB), and in speaker level settings, the subwoofer out is at +6 dB. This can also be increased to +12 dB.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited:
1. Denon's speaker settings/configuration.... What about your LFE settings, have you set the subwoofer "on" in speaker setup.
2. Try running audyssey once..
3. What is your room dimension. 110 might be underpowered for very big rooms..

Still if its not resolved take the sub back to profx and get it checked there again.

Hey Yahoo

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have set the subwoofer to on in speaker setup.
I did not use Audyssey; I went for the manual setup.
Width is about 11 feet, length about 24 feet totally, but the surrounds are placed on the side walls at about 16-17 feet where we usually pull the sofa to sit. So the distance between the subwoofer and our seating position should be around 14-16 feet max.

Try listening to the same sub in profx and see if you can find any difference, that way you will get some idea on where the issue would be. I'm planning to go for a sub for a while, due to budget Polk PSW 110 is top in my list, pls share your thoughts.

While doing Audessey keep the sub volume control at mid position and cross over control to full. After performing audessy, you can increase the channel level to get more output.

Hey Mike

I did listen to the same sub at ProFX. It was connected to the subwoofer pre-out of a Denon 50W RMS stereo amp and a set of KEF bookshelves was connected to the amp. A Denon single CD player was used and I listened to some audio CDs. Even then, the volume was at almost 70-75%.

I noticed this when I checked the volume level after listening to a song demo for a minute or so. The punch was good ... so I checked the sub's volume level and found it at almost 75%. That was kind of weird. I mean, a 200W sub should produce good punch even at a lower volume level.

I have however read on the net from some people that this particular sub requires a break-in period. Not sure how many hours though.

I shall certainly update this thread after a few days, since I am using the sub for at least 2 hrs every day. That should do some good for the sub hopefully and it should start performing better say from next week or so. Let me see. Will keep you posted Mike.

Try listening to the same sub in profx and see if you can find any difference, that way you will get some idea on where the issue would be. I'm planning to go for a sub for a while, due to budget Polk PSW 110 is top in my list, pls share your thoughts.

While doing Audessey keep the sub volume control at mid position and cross over control to full. After performing audessy, you can increase the channel level to get more output.

Baiju, I didn't get the 2nd part of your message. Crossover control at full? This is displayed in Hz in the Denon's sound menus. Currently I have set the crossover at 80 Hz as mentioned in the subwoofer instruction manual.

After you run Audyssey check the speaker levels. If subwoofer level shows either +12 or -12 means it maxed out.

In case it is -12 reduce the volume on sub and increase in case it is +12. Either case you have to re run the audyssey until it comes between these numbers.

^^ Cross over control of the subwoofer, not the settings in AVR.

How do you adjust the crossover on the subwoofer directly? I am not clear on this Baiju.

After you run Audyssey check the speaker levels. If subwoofer level shows either +12 or -12 means it maxed out.

In case it is -12 reduce the volume on sub and increase in case it is +12. Either case you have to re run the audyssey until it comes between these numbers.

Ok. I will try out Audyssey today evening or tomorrow morning and post my feedback. Have only done manual settings till now.

Well I also found the same issue once I bought it. I drive it with Denon 1713. After using it for about 3 weeks the bass effect is fine at -3db in Avr sw level. My setting in avr is like this, LFE + Main, sw crossover 150, speaker crossover 80, on sub volume is at 50%. Connected using sub cable, so on sub crossover is @ LFE. I ran audessey then changed as required. Another thing, there was a notification for firmware update, i did that and it took around 20 minute. After the upgrade i feel sound became smoother and better bass for mp3 and flacs, not checked with any blueray though.

Well I also found the same issue once I bought it. I drive it with Denon 1713. After using it for about 3 weeks the bass effect is fine at -3db in Avr sw level. My setting in avr is like this, LFE + Main, sw crossover 150, speaker crossover 80, on sub volume is at 50%. Connected using sub cable, so on sub crossover is @ LFE. I ran audessey then changed as required. Another thing, there was a notification for firmware update, i did that and it took around 20 minute. After the upgrade i feel sound became smoother and better bass for mp3 and flacs, not checked with any blueray though.

Hi Dipawiz

Great - another Denon AVR user with the same sub! Ok so on my Denon 2113, the AVR sub level now is at +4dB. Till today afternoon when we were watching The Long Kiss Goodnight, it was at +12dB. I've been running some content everyday just for the sub to break-in sooner.

I now feel the sub's output has improved, which is why I have brought down the sub level in the AVR from +12dB to +4dB now. Will check more DTS titles and then adjust accordingly.

So my settings now are:

Subwoofer level +4dB
Subwoofer crossover 80Hz
Subwoofer mode LFE+Main
LPF for LFE 80Hz

At the back of the subwoofer, settings are:

Volume: 50% (12 o'clock position)
Low Pass: LFE
Phase: 180

Haven't done the Audyssey thing till now. Will do it shortly and see the difference. Since you have mentioned the firmware update, I will also check whether there is one for my Denon 2113.

Let me know if I should change any of my above settings. As per the subwoofer manual, I set the crossover at 80Hz. Should it be set to a higher value?

If you've connected your Amps 'Sub-Out' to the 'LFE In' of the sub, then the Sub's crossover is bypassed, so it doesn't matter what u set on the sub. Only phase and gain would work.

I suggest you look into what your Front speakers are set as 'Small / Large' in the AVR. The bass output would vary depending on what they are set. If your using bookshelf speakers, then set front to Small and set the sub crossover(AVR) to 100Hz . Keep your sub gain at 50-60%, and increase gain at AVR depending on how much punch you require. Play around with those settings and you will get what your looking for.

Tuning with Audyssey would give optimum performance for movies where the real lows are required. If your used to listening to music with a lot of bass, then manual adjustments are your only solution.

Just my opinion, there are experts here who will suggest better..

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back