Subwoofer in the check-in bag. HOW ?

hifimaddy

I have read a lot of threads about carrying subwoofers in a check-in bag. I am wondering how you guys are doing it🤣🤣. I am planning to get an SVS subwoofer from Europe. but the size of the subwoofer and normal baggage sizes do not fit it inside. I really want a ported one, but a non-ported one is also not going to fit, I guess. If anybody has done this, give me some tips or tricks 😉. and is it safe during transfers?

I have read a lot of threads about carrying subwoofers in a check-in bag. I am wondering how you guys are doing it🤣🤣. I am planning to get an SVS subwoofer from Europe. but the size of the subwoofer and normal baggage sizes do not fit it inside. I really want a ported one, but a non-ported one is also not going to fit, I guess. If anybody has done this,
It's the box that the sub came in that needs to be checked in.

give me some tips or tricks 😉. and is it safe during transfers?
Pray! :p

I would like to meet someone who was able to fit in a subwoofer in their baggage..I have carried amplifiers, Harbeths and Quad bookshelf speakers but never mustered the courage to carry an amplifier...
same . I have carried an amplifier and bookshelf speakers before without any issues, but I am wondering how everyone fits a subwoofer in the baggage.

I had carried a Pioneer AVR in a check-in years ago. It came in one piece, no damages - and served me for nearly half a decade. Still going strong at a friend‘s place. 😂 . Subwoofer? I am yet to meet someone who has accomplished that feat!

And you think that carrying a sub inside a bag that is checked in will be inconspicuous? Good luck with that!
No, I don't mean that. It's not inconspicuous inside the Chekin bag. I carried a pair of bookshelf speakers and an amp at the same time in a check-in bag. I came out without any issues, but I was lucky that time, but next time maybe not. If you are carrying a big box package while checking out, then it's easy for them to identify it.

Open offer to anyone who brought a subwoofer in their check-in baggage. On your next trip, if you can bring me back in your check-in luggage. We can split your ticket costs.
I really saw some threads here when I joined the forum while checking some random posts. Some guys were saying he carried a subwoofer in his check-in bag. I dont remember which post it was long ago, but I am sure some guys accomplished that hard task🫡. Those should come forward, please, and tell us the magic. . 😁😁

I have read a lot of threads about carrying subwoofers in a check-in bag. I am wondering how you guys are doing it🤣🤣. I am planning to get an SVS subwoofer from Europe. but the size of the subwoofer and normal baggage sizes do not fit it inside. I really want a ported one, but a non-ported one is also not going to fit, I guess. If anybody has done this, give me some tips or tricks 😉. and is it safe during transfers?
You do know that the Customs Officials are watching this thread & are going to track you at the airport now :rolleyes:

You do know that the Customs Officials are watching this thread & are going to track you at the airport now :rolleyes:
travel lol GIF by Chris Timmons

Maybe if the sub plate amp can go into the cabin bag and the sub driver into the duty free shopping bag, then this becomes increasingly plausible. 😂

So let me ask a question:
What in your opinion is considered a "bag"?

Also, do you know that there is a difference between a "bag" and "baggage"?

. Subwoofer? I am yet to meet someone who has accomplished that feat!
When next in Mumbai, come meet me, then you guys can check that off your bucket list. :)
I brought a sub from the US as checked in baggage many years ago. Intact!

Last edited:
This depends on the size and orientation of the design. If it's a narrower rectangle then easy peezy. But you'll usually want like a 10-12 inch sub and those are always big cubes

Maybe if the sub plate amp can go into the cabin bag and the sub driver into the duty free shopping bag, then this becomes increasingly plausible. 😂
I thought this, but where to keep the subwoofer box? That's a difficult task. Or else to buy a plate amp and a driver for some DIY project.

This depends on the size and orientation of the design. If it's a narrower rectangle then easy peezy. But you'll usually want like a 10-12 inch sub and those are always big cubes
I am planning to get a SVS SB1000 Pro or 2000 Pro. Pb is not possible because of its size. Or if you know of any other subwoofer with a small size and decent performance, I will consider it.

You can save yourself a lot of headache, excess baggage charges and customs duty by purchasing a preowned sub from the HFV classifieds section , that is if you are open to it.
Probably you may get a better sub than the SB 1000 at the same or cheaper price.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back