Need subwoofer recommendations under 1L

Hey
An answer via text would not make sense that's why made this video.

Trying something new, feel free to shower some likes for encouragement ;)
Feedbacks are welcome too 😊
@prateekatasniya Thank YOU so much for taking the time to create that detailed video. You touched upon a bunch of things that hadn't even crossed my mind!

I'll respond to this thread later today on some of the things you asked in the video (details regarding my room, MLP etc) and I'll look forward to your responses.

Also, I've liked the video and subbed to your channel 😀

I have studied all subs, mini marty, full marty, BTS Subs, sealed, ported then I built these dual 21 inch full marties. These are end game, next is a devastator for near field , more than enough for room to fell Imax cinemas at home.
Many will not have the space to accommodate full marty that's why i have suggested Gsg BTS.

@prateekatasniya Watched your video a bunch of times (thanks again!).

Answers to some of your questions below:
  • Ceiling height - 13ft (vaulted ceiling)
  • It's a closed room
  • Pair of recliners set against the rear wall (just me watching movies most of the time)
  • Subwoofer is kept near the recliner and pointed towards the side of the seat where I sit. Can't place the sub in the front left and right corners because there are doors there. Any suggestions?
In terms of acoustics, I've ordered a 20mm rubber gym tile mat to place under the sub (think you recommended this on another post). The sub already has 2inch rubber feet so not sure if this makes any difference.

I believe you talked about bass traps in your video. Do I need them? If yes, how many do I need and where do I place them?

Audyssey software - You mentioned getting the Audyssey software for $200 but is it easy for a novice like me to use? Does it test and calibrate everything like the MultiEQ XT calibration software in the AVR?

Thanks once again for taking the time out and answering these questions! I'm sure it'll help loads of people who are in the same boat as me 😀

@prateekatasniya Watched your video a bunch of times (thanks again!).

Answers to some of your questions below:
  • Ceiling height - 13ft (vaulted ceiling)
  • It's a closed room
  • Pair of recliners set against the rear wall (just me watching movies most of the time)
  • Subwoofer is kept near the recliner and pointed towards the side of the seat where I sit. Can't place the sub in the front left and right corners because there are doors there. Any suggestions?
In terms of acoustics, I've ordered a 20mm rubber gym tile mat to place under the sub (think you recommended this on another post). The sub already has 2inch rubber feet so not sure if this makes any difference.

I believe you talked about bass traps in your video. Do I need them? If yes, how many do I need and where do I place them?

Audyssey software - You mentioned getting the Audyssey software for $200 but is it easy for a novice like me to use? Does it test and calibrate everything like the MultiEQ XT calibration software in the AVR?

Thanks once again for taking the time out and answering these questions! I'm sure it'll help loads of people who are in the same boat as me 😀
Can be seat be moved forward ?
What's the crossover point set on the AVR ( for the LCR)?
That gym tile would help in sound proofing domain not in improving the Acoustics.
Bass trapping surely helps in almost any case. And they are placed in room corners.

Coming to audyssey - yes you must invest and learn or else take help from an expert. ( It has more features when compared to the app)
I see a lot of people upgrading to expensive gear without property installing and calibrating the existing gear they own.

For example - a super expensive 10 lakh worth subwoofer which isn't calibrated can be beaten by a subwoofer worth a lakh if calibrated properly.

And welcome, I'm glad that it helped you understand things better :)

Next, I will make brief videos on bass trapping, seating placement and crossover points to set based on subwoofer location.

Can be seat be moved forward ?
What's the crossover point set on the AVR ( for the LCR)?
That gym tile would help in sound proofing domain not in improving the Acoustics.
Bass trapping surely helps in almost any case. And they are placed in room corners.

Coming to audyssey - yes you must invest and learn or else take help from an expert. ( It has more features when compared to the app)
I see a lot of people upgrading to expensive gear without property installing and calibrating the existing gear they own.

For example - a super expensive 10 lakh worth subwoofer which isn't calibrated can be beaten by a subwoofer worth a lakh if calibrated properly.

And welcome, I'm glad that it helped you understand things better :)

Next, I will make brief videos on bass trapping, seating placement and crossover points to set based on subwoofer location.

Yes, I can move the seat forward but any particular reason for doing so? My surround left and right speakers are mounted on the left and right walls pointing towards my ear currently. I can swivel them though.

Crossover is set at 80hz for the LCR.

I'll get bass traps for the rear wall then because I've got 2 doors at the front so won't be able to install in those corners.

Do we have people in India that can do calibrations remotely?

Yes, I can move the seat forward but any particular reason for doing so? My surround left and right speakers are mounted on the left and right walls pointing towards my ear currently. I can swivel them though.

Crossover is set at 80hz for the LCR.

I'll get bass traps for the rear wall then because I've got 2 doors at the front so won't be able to install in those corners.

Do we have people in India that can do calibrations remotely?
Share a drawing of the room layout.
It would be even better if you can share the images too.
And how loud do you listen ?

Share a drawing of the room layout.
It would be even better if you can share the images too.
And how loud do you listen ?
@prateekatasniya Sorry about the delay (was unwell over the weekend). I've attached my room's pics here.

1st pic - Front View
2nd pic - Rear View
3rd pic - Left side wall
4th pic - Right side wall
5th pic - Current subwoofer placement

For the "How loud do you listen?" question, the volume on my AVR is between 70 - 80.

Attachments

• 20240219_141715.jpg
    20240219_141715.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240219_141736.jpg
    20240219_141736.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240219_142154.jpg
    20240219_142154.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 48
  • 20240219_142400.jpg
    20240219_142400.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240219_141906.jpg
    20240219_141906.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
@prateekatasniya I was wondering if you had a chance to check the pics? Need your suggestions please if possible.
Hey..
Here is the video on what's the first thing you must be doing to improve the audio quality in your room .
Appropriate seating placement will improve the bass quality significantly. :)
Rest of the details you can find in the video.

Hey..
Here is the video on what's the first thing you must be doing to improve the audio quality in your room .
Appropriate seating placement will improve the bass quality significantly. :)
Rest of the details you can find in the video.

Hey @prateekatasniya Just watched the video! Thanks again 😀

I can put a gap of 2 feet between the rear wall and my recliner.

Some questions:
  • My rear surround speakers are currently positioned at 90 degrees so guessing I'll just need to pivot it slightly towards the MLP?
  • Any thoughts on my subwoofer placement? Where do I keep it after repositioning my recliner?

Hey @prateekatasniya Just watched the video! Thanks again 😀

I can put a gap of 2 feet between the rear wall and my recliner.

Some questions:
  • My rear surround speakers are currently positioned at 90 degrees so guessing I'll just need to pivot it slightly towards the MLP?
  • Any thoughts on my subwoofer placement? Where do I keep it after repositioning my recliner?
90° isn't the recommended angle.
Recommended angle is 110-120° . So after you move forward your speakers will fall at the appropriate angle.

You can try keeping the subwoofer behind the seat for even better tactile feel..
Check if you can localise the subwoofer. If you can then bring down the crossover frequency to 75hz or 70hz.

Good luck :)

90° isn't the recommended angle.
Recommended angle is 110-120° . So after you move forward your speakers will fall at the appropriate angle.

You can try keeping the subwoofer behind the seat for even better tactile feel..
Check if you can localise the subwoofer. If you can then bring down the crossover frequency to 75hz or 70hz.

Good luck :)
Remember - every change you make needs recalibration of the system.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back