polk tsi 400 distorts???

hey man i am not angry - i tend to be carried away at times. Just trying to help - though I myself am having a plethora of problems with the HDMI thingy in my HTPC.

What is the rated power output of the onkyo (at 4-6 ohms I believe onkyo rates it right?).

The polk tsi 400 is rated at 20-200W at 8 ohms with 91db sensitivity - which is great on paper. It should go well with any amp delivering 30-40w of power per channel. The onkyo i think can do that (606 in my case so shoudl not have problems driving the onkyo). Problem is at high volume because of the characteristics of the amp and the speaker they may sound harsh, thin bodied etc.

Also check the wires - hope you are not using the wires that came with the htib and using 14-16 AWG cable from a decent firm. Even wires make a difference - my missions seemed dull initially but with change to DAC 14AWG - they became more dynamic and lively.

i used onkyo receiver that comes with 5100 htib and it has 8ohms load and as far wire is concern you are right i do use wire that comes with htib for my surround speakers and for fronts and centre i use 8 rs./metre wire so if i change wire does it really make the difference for my polks:sad:

Last edited:
I am quite surprised that you are still using the free HTiB cables for your Rs30K speakers.:rolleyes:
Did you say Rs. 8/m cable for centre speaker? :cool:I guess you have joined the original HTiB centre cable for your surrounds:eek:

Please get some good new cables. Maybe Pro-Fx cables. Distortion or not is secondary.

I am quite surprised that you are still using the free HTiB cables for your Rs30K speakers.:rolleyes:
Did you say Rs. 8/m cable for centre speaker? :cool:I guess you have joined the original HTiB centre cable for your surrounds:eek:

Please get some good new cables. Maybe Pro-Fx cables. Distortion or not is secondary.

after youe previous reply i recently order qed cables from profx which are 115/metre :cool: and for mine room i need atleat 50m :licklips::cheers:

for 8 rupees /m cables ;)are for front polks ,centre and htib cables for surrounds polks :eek:hyeah:

once again does quality cables makes difference for my polks :indifferent14:

Last edited:
after youe previous reply i recently order qed cables from profx which are 115/metre :cool: and for mine room i need atleat 50m :licklips::cheers:

for 8 rupees /m cables ;)are for front polks ,centre and htib cables for surrounds polks :eek:hyeah:

dude for gods grace even 65-70 rupes DAC 14AWG cables are good - use them well. Theoretically use even better wires for the front towers but the DAC will do - i use them.

And the thing is:

1. Forward Sound AVR + Laid back speaker = Neutral sound (mostly under certain considerations)
2. Good Source = Good sound (under conditions)
3. Good transport = Good Sound (under conditions)
4. Good placement = Good sound (under conditions)
5. Good speaker wires (you do not need monster) = good sound.

Remember every piece in your chain has its own characteristics even speaker wires. Spend some money on neutral speaker wires that will help with your combo

once again does quality cables makes difference for my polks :indifferent14:

Great going. Please don't join the cables anywhere. Always allow about 1-2 metres extra before cutting.

Which centre, surrounds & sub do you have? How have you connected there sub? use at-least MX digital co-axial cable.

dude for gods grace even 65-70 rupes DAC 14AWG cables are good - use them well. Theoretically use even better wires for the front towers but the DAC will do - i use them.

And the thing is:

1. Forward Sound AVR + Laid back speaker = Neutral sound (mostly under certain considerations)
2. Good Source = Good sound (under conditions)
3. Good transport = Good Sound (under conditions)
4. Good placement = Good sound (under conditions)
5. Good speaker wires (you do not need monster) = good sound.

Remember every piece in your chain has its own characteristics even speaker wires. Spend some money on neutral speaker wires that will help with your combo

thanks for your all of your replies brother :clapping: :eek:hyeah:

Great going. Please don't join the cables anywhere. Always allow about 1-2 metres extra before cutting.

Which centre, surrounds & sub do you have? How have you connected there sub? use at-least MX digital co-axial cable.

hey reju i have all polks polk tsi 400,polk cs20 centre,and 4 polk tsi 200 bookshelfs and 2 polk psw 125 sub :cheers:

as for subwoofer cables i still use cheap ones rca cable because i don't know good coaxial cable if i go for profx they have very costly subwoofer cable starting for 400rs./m and where i place my subs they are like need 10 metre for one and 5 metre for other subwoofer

do you any other company for co axial cables by the way i'm from punjab jalandhar :yahoo::beer:

OMG! 7.2?
You have a great speakers! You must have spent about 1Lac for them!

You can go for Pro-fx sub woofer cables. they cost Rs 200/m + Rs. 175/ RCA plug.

OMG! 7.2?
You have a great speakers! You must have spent about 1Lac for them!

You can go for Pro-fx sub woofer cables. they cost Rs 200/m + Rs. 175/ RCA plug.

yup you are right nearly 1 lacs :cool: for 7.2 but you know i still have that onkyo 5100 htib av receiver which i use with those polks :sad: because i can't decide which company to pick onkyo,denon,nad,maratnz or harman kardon :indifferent14:

right now i'm using cheap rca cable for subwoofer may b in future i can get two for two subs :cool:
right now i'm lean toward especially for my polk speakers cables because as you suggest good quality cables do matter for good quality sound i really wanna see or you can say hear :rolleyes: for myself does it make huge difference from 8 rs./metre to 115 rs./metre :yahoo:

you know i'm a av geek my money usually spent on speakers or xbox 360 games or gadgets rather than clothes or mobiles:cool: you know what i mean :signthankspin:

Last edited:
hey friends

today i have call from profx they said they don't sell 40 m wire only 100 m roll and 200 m roll :mad:

so what i did is call dac cables dealer known as "bass n treble" in new delhi and ask him for 50 m speaker cable he said we can give you as much as you want :cool: so i ordered them 50 metre 12AWG speaker cable :clapping::yahoo: rather than 14AWG i thought if reju get good quality by 14 AWG then why not go for more thicker cable 12 AWG :cool:

it cost me around 6000 with courier charge :indifferent14:

one more thing as i have two polk psw 125 subs can i connect them in this order rather than using y splitter

like first i have to connect one sub to pre out of the av receiver and then connect second sub to the first sub's left or right output to lfe input of second sub :eek:
is it ok because i don't get any quality y splitter for both subwoofers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back