Possible to use own Tatasky box in remote Hotels with Tatasky but few channels?

citylife

I'm fond of traveling with my family to remote tourist spots in Uttrakhand and Himachal. Most of the hotels in these locations have TataSky but they subscribe to very few channels - 3 to 5. No cartoon channels which kids like so much. The kids won't go if they don't have all the entertainment.

So my query is that if it is possible to carry my own HD box from home and attach it to the TataSky cable coming into the hotel room and watch all channels - while it snows outside :D

I'm fond of traveling with my family to remote tourist spots in Uttrakhand and Himachal. Most of the hotels in these locations have TataSky but they subscribe to very few channels - 3 to 5. No cartoon channels which kids like so much. The kids won't go if they don't have all the entertainment.

So my query is that if it is possible to carry my own HD box from home and attach it to the TataSky cable coming into the hotel room and watch all channels - while it snows outside :D

You sure can. If you are sure that the hotel has tata sky, then you can just carry your tata sky card inserted in the box.

MaSh

Will it not be best to check with Tata Sky?
I feel it would be like a transfer of residence.
I tried to use the card from one set top box in another. It did not work.

....I tried to use the card from one set top box in another. It did not work.

That's why i would try with the box - perhaps a unique box id number is tied up with the inserted card?

Unless the box is GPS aware, it should work.

I did sent TataSky an email 2 months back. No response. Had they replied, wouldn't have asked here.;)

From what I understand, removing the card and inserting into another STB does not work even if both STBs belong to you. However, shifting the STB with the accompanying card to another room does work. This is as advised by the Tatasky technician a couple of months back.

Also, I remember being told by Customer care about 18-20 months back that my STB from Pune would not work in Mumbai. I did not bother to try. Maybe their rules have changed now.

Cheers

There are people i know who sell the stb, with the same logic. So carrying should work. Simple way to check, carry the stb to a friend or a neighbours house with a different dish, and see if it works.

I know of friends in Qatar using it after buying the stb connection in India :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back