Power Amp best Suited For the Whaferdale Linton

Macoy

Hello and Good Evening
I am absolutely new to this forum and need some sound advice ..Appreciate the Time Taken To Help ...

I am currently using the Cambridge Audio CXA60 to run my recent purchase of the Whaferdale Linton ..Very impressed and extremely happy to have purchased these , they are a about two days old ..( A big thank you to HIFI Mart and Mr Anil ..Really patient and kind )

So my query here is , SHOULD I INVEST IN A POWER AMP
I would like to drive these NEW BABIES with a Power Amp , keeping my Cambridge Audio CXA60 as the Pre..( I am happy with the Cambridge Audio Amp )
Having said so I have heard the Swara Power Amp at a family friends home and Also had the privilege of hearing the Emotiva Audio BasX A-300 Stereo Power Amplifier at a dear friends home ..

I have a budget of 70k and would love to stick to that only ..( I more invested towards Sourcing Music than just gear )

Your guidance and help will kind of help me find direction to either Yes go ahead or Stick to this for a while and then Figure Something later , Not being in a hurry

My Current Setup is mentioned below

1- Speakers - Whaferdale Linton
2- Xiang Sheng ( DAC -01a Stereo D/A Converter )
3- Pioneer PLX1000 ( TT )- Use the 2m RED
4- Yaqin - ( MS-23B.RIAA) 12AX7 TUBE PHONO PRE AMP )
5- Pioneer CDJ 900 Nexus CD players ( Have two of them )

Thank you once again ..

Regards Macoy

If you are interested in a stereo power amplifier with a dual mono construction I think the best you could get would be a Platinum Saptak Monoblock from IndiqAudio.
I am using a 4channel which is again on a dual mono construction and has been a very good experience so far. I feel it’s a great offering from the company. I understand your budget is 70K but if you are okay to extend it by another 19K you can go for their dual mono and I think you will be very happy with the outcome. FM
@fLUX has been using this with his Focal Aria’s.

I have not heard an Emotiva on a stereo set up so not sure how it is but then may be other FM’s can share their thoughts here

Regards,
Som

Why? What don't you like about the CA-CXA60 paired with the Linton's? In my opinion [FWIW], you have one of the most important components [the speakers!] sorted. Changing components in the middle will make a difference but the incremental difference will at best be minor and MAY not justify the change just for change sake.
Stick to this for a while and then Figure Something later
This!

Last edited:
Why? What don't you like about the CA-CXA60 paired with the Linton's? In my opinion [FWIW], you have one of the most important components [the speakers!] sorted. Changing components in the middle will make a difference but the incremental difference will at best be minor and MAY not justify the change just for change

Why? What don't you like about the CA-CXA60 paired with the Linton's? In my opinion [FWIW], you have one of the most important components [the speakers!] sorted. Changing components in the middle will make a difference but the incremental difference will at best be minor and MAY not justify the change just for change sake.

This!
Thank You so very much Keith , appreciate .the advice .. .makes complete and total sense....

Thank you ....

If you are interested in a stereo power amplifier with a dual mono construction I think the best you could get would be a Platinum Saptak Monoblock from IndiqAudio.
I am using a 4channel which is again on a dual mono construction and has been a very good experience so far. I feel it’s a great offering from the company. I understand your budget is 70K but if you are okay to extend it by another 19K you can go for their dual mono and I think you will be very happy with the outcome. FM
@fLUX has been using this with his Focal Aria’s.

I have not heard an Emotiva on a stereo set up so not sure how it is but then may be other FM’s can share their thoughts here

Regards,
Som

Thank you Som ...just responded to Keith and Probably take his advice and may be in the future after a while add on ..
Appreciate your time and help
Thanks and Regards Macoy

Here is the Setup
That’s a nice set up out there. Infact thats a great advise from Keith. I too second his opinion. There is no end to it if you want to keep adding gadgets in between ;).

Off-late, thanks to some of the big hearted FM’s here who gave me their rigs to try out and I felt adding separates does make a lot of difference to our listening but then it’s a rabbit hole. It gets deeper and deeper.

Enjoy your set up as is for sometime.

Regards,
Som

Thank you Som ...just responded to Keith and Probably take his advice and may be in the future after a while add on ..
Appreciate your time and help
Thanks and Regards Macoy

Yes. Spend more time with your gear and understand what you are lacking/needing. IMHO, your speakers may not have been burned in yet. There will be a change in the sound in the coming days and you may not feel like upgrading. Also, moving from CXA60 to a CXA60 Pre + Power Amp (considering your strict budget of 70K) may not be worth it.

Enjoy your music :)

As Mr Prodigy Suggested you will never go wrong with Indiqaudio Platinum Monoblock. Beleive it is very good amp with good quality sound, excellent imaging with depth and smoothness.
I am using with my Fyne Audio F502 speakers. I can hear many instrument sounds that was missing with Marantz 7025 power amp. My stereo soundstage has improved as well my as 7.2.2 .
I will post detailed review very soon.

Please dont do anything now
-2 days is too short a period to decide you need a change
-The question you need to ask is why do you want to change especially if you are a happy with the sound

If you have the budget the better bang for the money, at this stage is always on the source ie DAC/Phono etc...not the amplification.

IMO the only thing you should spend money on now - at least for the initial year or two -is procuring good pressing vinyls.

Here is the Setup
Thank you.

While you must play more music in order for the speakers to "bed in " ...there are something's that can possibly be done in a Mumbai flat or apartment ( I assume ) ...subject to SWMBO etc...

A. The glass shelf near the right speaker...can that be moved ?

B. I don't know weather to ask you to pull the speakers out about 12 inches and see what happens.

But the others have a point...leave it as it is...

Try looking for a better DAC I see a Rega DAC R for sale in Mumbai and the seller says he can send it for audition.

I have a strong feeling it will be a good upward move .

+1 for oldmonk & arj

Before anything else, let the speakers burn in and pls play with the speaker positioning. You would find numerous threads on this forum for speaker positioning. Most speakers benefit from breathing room behind them; Lintons are no exception. What I have read, see how you can move them away from your back wall by at least 18".

That’s a nice set up out there. Infact thats a great advise from Keith. I too second his opinion. There is no end to it if you want to keep adding gadgets in between ;).

Off-late, thanks to some of the big hearted FM’s here who gave me their rigs to try out and I felt adding separates does make a lot of difference to our listening but then it’s a rabbit hole. It gets deeper and deeper.

Enjoy your set up as is for sometime.

Regards,
Som
Thank You Som ..
I am glad I actually got connected with HiFi Mart..Mr Anil was absolutely sweet and helpful and Keith was extremely to point ..
Thank you ..Godspeed

Hello and Good Evening
I am absolutely new to this forum and need some sound advice ..Appreciate the Time Taken To Help ...

I am currently using the Cambridge Audio CXA60 to run my recent purchase of the Whaferdale Linton ..Very impressed and extremely happy to have purchased these , they are a about two days old ..( A big thank you to HIFI Mart and Mr Anil ..Really patient and kind )

I would like to drive these NEW BABIES with a Power Amp , keeping my Cambridge Audio CXA60 as the Pre..( I am happy with the Cambridge Audio Amp )
Having said so I have heard the Swara Power Amp at a family friends home and Also had the privilege of hearing the Emotiva Audio BasX A-300 Stereo Power Amplifier at a dear friends home ..

I have a budget of 70k and would love to stick to that only ..( I more invested towards Sourcing Music than just gear )

Your guidance and help will kind of help me find direction to either Yes go ahead or Stick to this for a while and then Figure Something later , Not being in a hurry

My Current Setup is mentioned below

1- Speakers - Whaferdale Linton
2- Xiang Sheng ( DAC -01a Stereo D/A Converter )
3- Pioneer PLX1000 ( TT )- Use the 2m RED
4- Yaqin - ( MS-23B.RIAA) 12AX7 TUBE PHONO PRE AMP )
5- Pioneer CDJ 900 Nexus CD players ( Have two of them )

Thank you once again ..

Regards Macoy
I don't remember correctly, it was mostly FM @SachinChavan who reviewed the Wharfedale Linton vs Castle Knight Avons ; he found a remarkable improvement in Wharfedales with Higher Amplification Power. It has a Larger LF driver, any betterment in power amplification should be able to get the best out of Wharfedale Lintons.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back