Power amplifier produces different volume levels

Ok...the DTS HD volume level issue....was it present when PA was not connected.

Also may I know which dts hd movie title you had tried to play. I presume it is happening with all DTS HD files?
No only after connecting the power amp. It’s happening only with dts HD contents. It’s not specific to one but all dts HD files

No only after connecting the power amp. It’s happening only with dts HD contents. It’s not specific to one but all dts HD files

I went through the operating manual of your PA. It has a individual volume sensitivity for each channels. This is useful, if we have different preamplifier used, which is not our case with avr. Default position is all the way clockwise, however it dosent specify whether it's max or min sensitivity. I am guessing default is max. Do check that all are set to its same default location.
Also suggest to do audyssey recalibration after connecting the power amp (if not done).
As far as I know, PA only provides the required amplification. But how much to amplify (i.e gain) is decided by volume knob in the preamplifier. If the max sensitivity dosent help, try minimum sensitivity on your AVR.
I find it really interesting that it is happening only with DTS HD files. Why would the AVR change level on your pre amp output only for DTS hd. Would love to know the outcome of your issue.

I went through the operating manual of your PA. It has a individual volume sensitivity for each channels. This is useful, if we have different preamplifier used, which is not our case with avr. Default position is all the way clockwise, however it dosent specify whether it's max or min sensitivity. I am guessing default is max. Do check that all are set to its same default location.
Also suggest to do audyssey recalibration after connecting the power amp (if not done).
As far as I know, PA only provides the required amplification. But how much to amplify (i.e gain) is decided by volume knob in the preamplifier. If the max sensitivity dosent help, try minimum sensitivity on your AVR.
I find it really interesting that it is happening only with DTS HD files. Why would the AVR change level on your pre amp output only for DTS hd. Would love to know the outcome of your issue.
The thing is once I pause and resume the volume level comes down. So it has nothing to do with the settings.

Got a Marantz 7010 to test if issue was with my Denon or PA. Even with the Marantz I had the same issue. Going to get the PA serviced

Attachments

• 7D411D27-CE48-4027-95A8-4A756B99AEBA.jpeg
    7D411D27-CE48-4027-95A8-4A756B99AEBA.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 12
I dont think either the AVR or the Power Amp is defective. The problem must be most probably with the source (Player).

Bit confusing as the problem arises only while playing a particular format, so to me, it sounds like the problem is with the Player or the Decoder.
A power amp does not know if its playing a DTS-HD or PMC. It will blindly amplify any signal received by it.
So, there also is a possibility of the AV Receivers Preout section being faulty. Just my prediction!

Edit:
I forgot your mentioning that you tested the setup with a Marantz Receiver aswell, so that clarifies that the receiver is good.
so the possibilities are, either the Player or the power amp is defective, but I still think the poweramp may not be faulty.
Also swap the HDMI cables and check.

Last edited:
Bit confusing as the problem arises only while playing a particular format, so to me, it sounds like the problem is with the Player or the Decoder.
A power amp does not know if its playing a DTS-HD or PMC. It will blindly amplify any signal received by it.
So, there also is a possibility of the AV Receivers Preout section being faulty. Just my prediction!

Edit:
I forgot your mentioning that you tested the setup with a Marantz Receiver aswell, so that clarifies that the receiver is good.
so the possibilities are, either the Player or the power amp is defective, but I still think the poweramp may not be faulty.
Also swap the HDMI cables and check.
Confusing right? Even I was thinking the same. If the issue was with the source or the decoder I should face the problem when playing without the PA. So very complicated issue. Any ways since there is a loud pop up noise in one channel I have decided to get the PA serviced. I will continue to use as it is since I watch atmos, DD, DD+and dts x contents mostly and there is no volume issue in those formats.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back